Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Mental Health Improve Going Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 JesikaBeth

JesikaBeth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone's mental health has overall improved since going gluten free.

Especially wondering if those with diagnoses of bipolar disorder, anxiety, and/or ADHD.

Thanks in advance :)

~Jessica Elizabeth~

Diagnosed with:

• GERD October 2005
  • Fibromyalgia February 2006
  • TMJD 2007
  • Hashimotos May 2008
  • Type 2 Diabetes May 2012
  • Non Hodgkin Lymphoma November 2013
  • Celiac July 2014 (Positive Antibody Test/Bloodwork. Biopsy Inconclusive.)
  • OCD September 2000
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder September 2000
  • Bipolar Type II October 2005
  • Adult ADHD(Inattentive Type) October 2005

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone's mental health has overall improved since going gluten free.

Especially wondering if those with diagnoses of bipolar disorder, anxiety, and/or ADHD.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Jessica,

I think you are my twin...lol.  I do suffer with Bi-Polar, Anxiety, ADHD, a few others.  I can tell you that after I started gluten free very many of body symptoms improved greatly.  I had been diagnosed with Fibro, Bursitis, Sacroiliitis, Arthritis, Connective Tissue Disorder, Sicca and a few other suspected AI's.  My body pain was the first thing I noticed getting better.  That was the end of cortisone shots, Desensitizing Meds,.  Pain and Muscle relaxer meds went from daily to as needed.  As far as the Mental aspect.  Some of the improvement came from just feeling better.  My OCD lessened after a time.  My attention increased as Brain Fog decreased.  Memory still sucks as I had ECT treatments that wiped out much of my memories of when I was young and when I was raising my kids.  As far as the Bi-Polar, The Depressions have not been as low and as long  as before which is great.  The Highs do not last as long.  Basically I became a rapid cycler.  I was able to cut down my Psych meds to only 3.  I do know some people report complete resolution of Depression, anxiety and such but I don't know if they are diagnosed Bi-Polar or not.  I still take Ativan daily and take Trazadone nightly for sleep.  I saw on your other thread about your sleep study.  I havent been able to sleep for more than 2-3 hours on my own for at least 10-15 years or so.  Trazadone puts me out for a good 4 hours on a half dose and 7-8 hours on my full dose. 

Gosh, that was a ramble...lol.  Hope it helps in some way.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

I'm diagnosed with GAD with OCD symptoms and it could be just my imagination, but I think that my episodes of anxiety are much less since I became strict about cracking down on CC issues and making sure that trace gluten wasn't sneaking into my diet. 

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#4 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

I have never been diagnosed with any mental health issues, however, I had a pretty good case of continual anxiety and mild depression going most of my life and didn't even realize it because I thought it was my normal personality. When I got off of gluten, both of these cleared up and I almost had an identity crisis because I had never been without them -- I didn't know quite who I was in such calm brain! :-)

This happened for me very quickly. As a matter of fact, neuro symptoms are the first symptoms for me that I've been glutened.

#5 JesikaBeth

JesikaBeth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hi Jessica,

I think you are my twin...lol.  I do suffer with Bi-Polar, Anxiety, ADHD, a few others.  I can tell you that after I started gluten free very many of body symptoms improved greatly.  I had been diagnosed with Fibro, Bursitis, Sacroiliitis, Arthritis, Connective Tissue Disorder, Sicca and a few other suspected AI's.  My body pain was the first thing I noticed getting better.  That was the end of cortisone shots, Desensitizing Meds,.  Pain and Muscle relaxer meds went from daily to as needed.  As far as the Mental aspect.  Some of the improvement came from just feeling better.  My OCD lessened after a time.  My attention increased as Brain Fog decreased.  Memory still sucks as I had ECT treatments that wiped out much of my memories of when I was young and when I was raising my kids.  As far as the Bi-Polar, The Depressions have not been as low and as long  as before which is great.  The Highs do not last as long.  Basically I became a rapid cycler.  I was able to cut down my Psych meds to only 3.  I do know some people report complete resolution of Depression, anxiety and such but I don't know if they are diagnosed Bi-Polar or not.  I still take Ativan daily and take Trazadone nightly for sleep.  I saw on your other thread about your sleep study.  I havent been able to sleep for more than 2-3 hours on my own for at least 10-15 years or so.  Trazadone puts me out for a good 4 hours on a half dose and 7-8 hours on my full dose. 

Gosh, that was a ramble...lol.  Hope it helps in some way.

Colleen

Hi Colleen! Good to see you again. Yes it does appear we have very similar stories! Thank you for sharing. I too take ativan daily, and for sleep I'm on Seroquel. My sleep is still awkward though. I'm interested to see how my overall health - physical and mental - is impacted by going gluten free.

~Jessica Elizabeth~

Diagnosed with:

• GERD October 2005
  • TMJD 2007
  • Hashimotos May 2008
  • OCD September 2000

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#6 JesikaBeth

JesikaBeth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

BlessedMommy & Across ~ Thank you for sharing your experiences with me :)

~Jessica Elizabeth~

Diagnosed with:

• GERD October 2005
  • TMJD 2007
  • Hashimotos May 2008
  • OCD September 2000

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#7 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Before going g.f. I was diagnosed bi-polar, depressed and on three different meds.  I had been on meds for many years.  At year two of being g.f. I felt so much better, and lacking other words, just felt alive and so talked to my dr about going off the meds.  With her caution we started on a plan.  It took two years to completely wean off of all my meds as we went very very slowly!  To date I have been off all meds for 8 months. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: