arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

My Nd Tested Me For These -- Are These Right?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianK

CanadianK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi All

I'm still in the waiting timeframe -- it will be 4 weeks this Friday so I'm hoping I'll find out my results soon. 

After having my blood work done at the Naturopath, I followed up asking what was tested and she said these:

Tissue Transglutaminase

IgE Wheat

IgG Gliadin

IgA Gliadin

I've looked around online to see if these are accurate tests to have done, but thought I would ask here too since they look different than the other tests people have.

Also, I've been following the SCD as a trial to see how I feel and when I "slip up" I have my normal IBS stuff, sadness, low energy, but I've also now noticed a low down kidney ache... I think I've always had this feeling, but never paid attention. Now that I'm having really really good days, this ache is quite noticable when I do eat something with gluten. Could this be from something else? My MD ruled out gluten sensitiviy/celiac because "You don't look skinny enough for celiac" so I've been hesitant to go back about all of this (I just need a new MD actually!)

I'd love any input anyone has about either of these topics. 

Lymphocytic Colitis July 2014

Lactose Intolerant Sept 2014

Gastritis Sept 2014

GERD Sept 2014

Dientamoeba Fragaliis Parasite Sept 2014

Still awaiting Celiac Panel and Biopsy results

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hi All

I'm still in the waiting timeframe -- it will be 4 weeks this Friday so I'm hoping I'll find out my results soon. 

After having my blood work done at the Naturopath, I followed up asking what was tested and she said these:

Tissue Transglutaminase

IgE Wheat

IgG Gliadin

IgA Gliadin

I've looked around online to see if these are accurate tests to have done, but thought I would ask here too since they look different than the other tests people have.

Also, I've been following the SCD as a trial to see how I feel and when I "slip up" I have my normal IBS stuff, sadness, low energy, but I've also now noticed a low down kidney ache... I think I've always had this feeling, but never paid attention. Now that I'm having really really good days, this ache is quite noticable when I do eat something with gluten. Could this be from something else? My MD ruled out gluten sensitiviy/celiac because "You don't look skinny enough for celiac" so I've been hesitant to go back about all of this (I just need a new MD actually!)

I'd love any input anyone has about either of these topics. 

Here are the testing guidelines.  

http://www.curecelia...s3_Antibody.pdf

There can always be multiple issues at work.  And yes, a new MD is definitely in order.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

Have you been eating gluten free?  That can mess up the actual medical tests for Celiac that Colleen linked to.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 CanadianK

CanadianK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

Have you been eating gluten free?  That can mess up the actual medical tests for Celiac that Colleen linked to.

Thanks Colleen.

And yes, for the past 2 years I've been limiting gluten, but have never been symptom free because I kept slipping up, or ignoring it, or feeling defeated and eating chips or something. I am worried that my spotty gluten-free eating will affect the test but my ND knows all of this so we can have a more in depth conversation once we have some numbers back. After she took my blood sample that's when I started the SCD. it's been just over 3 weeks now and while my symptoms aren't gone, they're improving and my energy is coming back some days. My bowels aren't yet happy though :/

I haven't seen the exact tests I was given  listed anywhere which is why I'm curious. Would I have gotten the Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase? She didn't say "Anti" but perhaps that's the only test there is? 

Thanks!

Lymphocytic Colitis July 2014

Lactose Intolerant Sept 2014

Gastritis Sept 2014

GERD Sept 2014

Dientamoeba Fragaliis Parasite Sept 2014

Still awaiting Celiac Panel and Biopsy results

#5 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,997 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

Perhaps you should get a new MD who will test you for Celiac disease?  But, if you have been basically gluten-free (just a small slip occasionally) the tests might be negative.  You have to be eating gluten to make enough antibodies to show up on the tests.  

I can't really comment on any tests that an ND does as they are usually not the ones that are medically accepted for testing for Celiac.  Yours could be the exception.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

My labs listed the tTG test as tissue transglutaminase too.

My guess for interpreting your labs is you had the AGA IgA and AGA IgG (anti-gliadin antibodies in both IgA and IgG), as well as the tTG IgA.  The AGA tests are older tests that are not very reliable (low sensitivity and specificity) but some doctors believe that a positive AGA can indicate  celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) - not everyone agrees with that though.

Good luck with a new doctor.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: