4 replies to this topic

#1 beth01

beth01

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has lost massive amounts of weight ( I have lost >150 pounds) pre-diagnosis and wondering how you deal with all the extra flabby skin?  I know weight lifting will help with my arms, but my legs and belly have some hanging skin and stretch marks.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Diagnosed at age 37 after a lifetime of symptoms and other diseases: migraines, joint pain, muscle aches, nerve pain, IBS, chronic constipation, chronic ear infections/strep throat, weight fluctuations ( most weight lost >150 pounds), acid reflux, stomach pain, nausea/vomiting, inactive gallbladder, stool impacted appendix, multiple miscarriages, premature births, depression, anxiety, OCD, arthritis of the spine, Grave's disease(treated with radioactive iodine)- hypothyroid, multiple drug and environmental allergies, numbness in the hands and feet, possible multiple TIA's, brain fog, dyslexia, extreme thirst, bouts of insomnia rotated by extreme fatigue, multiple vitamin deficiencies, chronic UTI's and vaginal infections, Fibromyalgia, and I'm sure there are more I am forgetting.

Diagnosed April 7th, 2014 by EGD and tTg IgA.  Marsh IIIb and 35.7 respectively, Starting what seems to be a very long recovery process.

11 year old daughter diagnosed a month later by a tTg IgA of >100 and a positive EMA.  Nine year old son has since tested negative, only had tTg IgA drawn,  Will have a full panel drawn in two years unless symptoms present. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

While it is technically considered cosmetic surgery, having it removed is something that can be covered by insurance under certain circumstances. If it is something you would consider having done, it is worth talking to your doctor about.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

I wonder what "certain circumstances" are?  I have already had a breast reduction so I technically have a plastic surgeon.  Thank you.

Diagnosed at age 37 after a lifetime of symptoms and other diseases: migraines, joint pain, muscle aches, nerve pain, IBS, chronic constipation, chronic ear infections/strep throat, weight fluctuations ( most weight lost >150 pounds), acid reflux, stomach pain, nausea/vomiting, inactive gallbladder, stool impacted appendix, multiple miscarriages, premature births, depression, anxiety, OCD, arthritis of the spine, Grave's disease(treated with radioactive iodine)- hypothyroid, multiple drug and environmental allergies, numbness in the hands and feet, possible multiple TIA's, brain fog, dyslexia, extreme thirst, bouts of insomnia rotated by extreme fatigue, multiple vitamin deficiencies, chronic UTI's and vaginal infections, Fibromyalgia, and I'm sure there are more I am forgetting.

Diagnosed April 7th, 2014 by EGD and tTg IgA.  Marsh IIIb and 35.7 respectively, Starting what seems to be a very long recovery process.

11 year old daughter diagnosed a month later by a tTg IgA of >100 and a positive EMA.  Nine year old son has since tested negative, only had tTg IgA drawn,  Will have a full panel drawn in two years unless symptoms present. 

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Those circumstances are likely to change for different insurance policies. I believe I read that my policy covers it if it is deemed medically necessary. I suppose it is up to doctors to determine what that means.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

Yes, most policies will cover the surgery if it's medically necessary.  Losing a large amount of weight often comes under that category. It's worth looking into for sure.  Meet with your doctor, they can send over a pre-authorization form to see if your insurance will cover it so you will know one way or the other.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: