28 replies to this topic

#16 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

We need a whole chip cupboard at my place. What would I do without Kettle Chips.

I've never had a problem with Tostitos' plain ol corn chips here in Canadaland either. I don't buy them because of GMO corn (on principle, not health issues), but if they're at a party or something I'll have a few.

It could definitely be something acidic in the salsa instead, especially if you're still early in your healing. Try either eating the chips on their own, or having salsa on something else instead.

Possibly it could be a corn problem, but it's probably too early to say that. Corn can be hard to digest too, if your gut is still healing.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 CajunChic

CajunChic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

^_^
I can't have those darn things in the house. Absolutely zero self-control with those. Seriously, what IS IT with potato chips??

If its kettle cooked, I'll even ignore the stomachache! There's something about that crunch...

"Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."
3 John 1:2

#18 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

If its kettle cooked, I'll even ignore the stomachache! There's something about that crunch...

OMG the kettle cooked ones... I can't even have them in the house. When I go out I look for the little dollar bags or i just get out of control.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

#19 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Here's  another  take on these...  Could  you  be  reacting  to  Corn?   Many  people  are  having  problems  with  corn  products..  ANd  yes,  even  the  nightshade  family   such  as  tomatoes>>>>>>and  ten  it  could  be  just  the  spicy  salsa  spices  that  don't  agree  with you...  Remember  we  do  have  sensitive  tummies!  I  used  to be  able  to  eat  ghost  peppers  &  hot hot  stuff  but  no more....

#20 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

And typically my acute symptoms from a glutening (severe GI distress) only last a day (other symptoms may last longer), but this has been three days long.  Good to know others don't get sick from them.  I'll have to look into what else could be causing it.

I am really surprised no one has mentioned this, but especially if you are not having your typical onset of symptoms, it is possible you just caught some kind of bug and it has nothing to do with gluten or what you ate.  Of course, it could be another intolerance or just something in the salsa disagreeing with your tummy, if you want to look into that more, the previously recommended food journaling is a great tool for that.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Or, perhaps I'm just more sensitive to gluten than the 20ppm required for the gluten-free label.  (Frito-Lay does say they follow the 20ppm rule for their gluten-free chips, to which Tostitos belongs.)  I'm still figuring out my sensitivity level.  I got diagnosed with celiac disease by blood test after being on a somewhat diligent gluten-free diet for three years, so apparently my body just really hates gluten.  I'll have to try to stick to certified gluten-free chips.

Wow, that is pretty amazing to actually get DX'ed after 3 years gluten free. It makes me almost wonder if I should take a celiac antibody test. I have been gluten free for over 4 years, but made a number of rookie mistakes before I cracked down on the CC issues.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#22 skullgrl

skullgrl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

^_^

I can't have those darn things in the house. Absolutely zero self-control with those. Seriously, what IS IT with potato chips?? 

I'll paint a picture for you; it's 11 PM, I'm craving something salty, something crunchy and I know there are potatoes in my fridge. I needed a quick fix, and I found it. Marvel in the glory that is the microwaved potato chip (and you don't have to buy that silly contraption).

I have a recipe for you...

Takes a little trial and error to figure out whats best for your microwave but it's worth it and for people who have issues with frying/oil, well, it doesn't use any. They don't stay crisp for a long time but I'm seriously considering making a bunch and tossing them in my dehydrator.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease May 2013.

Gluten free ever since.

#23 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

omg all those snacks look amazing.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.

Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'll paint a picture for you; it's 11 PM, I'm craving something salty, something crunchy and I know there are potatoes in my fridge. I needed a quick fix, and I found it. Marvel in the glory that is the microwaved potato chip (and you don't have to buy that silly contraption).

Takes a little trial and error to figure out whats best for your microwave but it's worth it and for people who have issues with frying/oil, well, it doesn't use any. They don't stay crisp for a long time but I'm seriously considering making a bunch and tossing them in my dehydrator.

I've done the kale chips and roasted chickpeas, and they are good, yes....but if I'm going to have potato chips, I'm not making them too. 

I eat Cape Cod chips if I have a hankering.

But thanks for the link!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 skullgrl

skullgrl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

I've done the kale chips and roasted chickpeas, and they are good, yes....but if I'm going to have potato chips, I'm not making them too. 

I eat Cape Cod chips if I have a hankering.

But thanks for the link!! :)

I love my kale chips too. Daw, I looked up the Cape Cod ones and now I'm drooling all over the computer.

Gluten free ever since.

#26 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Cape cod are the exact ones that make me lose my mind. They have the perfect saltiness.

#27 CajunChic

CajunChic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'll try it out!! My gut hates oil.

"Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."
3 John 1:2

#28 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Are Mrs dash flavors gluten free? I used that on kale chips, it was delicious.

#29 skullgrl

skullgrl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'll try it out!! My gut hates oil.

Awesome! Happy to share it and hope people enjoy it.

Gluten free ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: