9 replies to this topic

#1 ashleyld

ashleyld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

I need some ideas. I was sending my DD with fruit salad and a single serve peanutbutter cup every single day. Well they are crazking down on nut butters and everyone gets tired of fruit and doesnt fill you up. SOOOO what do you send your kids with?

ALSO i was wondering. I am sending my almost 4 year old celiac child to preschool (which is not gluten-free) what kind of lunch box? Do you use a bento box?

thanks!!!

After 3 years of wondering why my baby had reflux, seizures with no neuro cause, and horrible daily stomach aches; we were finally officially diagnosed with Celiac on 4/24/14. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I cant wait to make her feel better!

Mom to 4 little ones, 10, 6, 6, and 3

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

-Sunbutter and gluten-free crackers

-hummus and tortillas/brackers

-warmed up pasta leftovers

-ricecakes 

-lunch meat sandwiches

-fruits

-veggies

-potato chips/pretzels

My DS (who is nut allergic) has a sun butter and jelly sandwich, carrots/celery, fruit and a "snack" pretty much daily. I ask him every day what he wants and he chooses the same thing. Even now on summer break he's still having sun butter cracker sandwiches pretty much daily. Most kids are creatures of habit and are good with minor changes but usually perfectly content with the same few things over and over!

#3 ashleyld

ashleyld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

thank you! We will have to try sunbutter. I am also thinking i am going to find some good lunch meat. 

After 3 years of wondering why my baby had reflux, seizures with no neuro cause, and horrible daily stomach aches; we were finally officially diagnosed with Celiac on 4/24/14. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I cant wait to make her feel better!

#4 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I was just about to say some of the same things when I saw StephanieL's post: hummus and veggies, ricecakes or corncakes with sunbutter, applesauce, yogurt (if dairy is ok), salad with chicken, fried rice with tamari and veggies, "ants on a log" with sunbutter or cream cheese, soup in a thermos, steamed broccoli with parmesan to dip it in. My daughter was at a nut-free preschool where they did not heat up children's foods, but those above are our staples that she'd eat cold or in a thermos. She got corn chips, an Enjoy Life apple bar, or Snyder's gluten-free honey mustard pretzels once in a while.

We use a regular insulated children's lunchbox so we can put cold packs in, and baggies or those glass containers with the plastic lids that snap off easily. She was able to open them herself, so I tried to use those or baggies so to reduce the cc risk from teachers helping her. At day camp this summer I also send a couple of baby wipes in a baggie so she can wash her hands before eating, and a cloth napkin that she spreads out on the table to put her lunch on. (Her preschool teachers were excellent about wiping up other kids' crumbs thoroughly, but the camp tables don't look as clean.)

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#5 ashleyld

ashleyld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

^^ Perfect thank you for the input about the lunch box. I hadn't even thought about warm foods. Ill put that on my list of questions to ask the preschools when we go and look around.

#6 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

My older daughter (going into 3rd grade) packs her own lunch a lot - or tosses me ideas when I'm packing.  She likes:

* Crunchmaster crackers and sunbutter (sometimes with jelly).  She makes them *at school* Lunchables-style

* sunbutter and something to use for dipping - Snyder's pretzels, carrots, etc

* fresh fruit (or, if we have them at home, fruit cups

* yogurt tubes (we keep them in the freezer 24/7 so the kids eat them like popsicles, but I've heard they're more yogurt texture by lunch time)

* cheese sticks

* Kettle brand chips, Lay's Stax, popcorn

* peanuts, pistachio, etc

* and always a sweet treat :) (cookie, brownie, piece of candy) - she's so my kid that she needs a sweet to finish a meal

She goes to lunch a minute before her friends to Clorox her seating space at the table.  Then she puts her napkin down and her food on top.  Our school district suggests the napkin trick for all kids with food allergies.  It's just a mental reminder for all kids to keep your hands on your own food and don't touch others.  We used to be a cloth napkin in the lunch family, but I prefer to throw away the thing touching the table with other crumbs.  She uses plastic containers for the components of lunch and I just throw those in the dishwasher.

If your kids like sunbutter I've found that Amazon has the best price.  I get the 2/5# tubs sent to my door.  All three of my kids love spoonfuls of the stuff!

If you're looking for ideas - http://www.pinterest...daysofrealfood/ - might be useful.  She makes "Lunchable-type" lunches for her kids out of real food.  They're a gluten eating family, but I found her pinterest page and her website to be great for jogging my mind around lunches.

Oh, I used to allow one school lunch a week.  We would get the monthly calendar and my daughter would pick out which days to buy.  She missed that - so when she's getting "down" or I'm just out of time to pack a lunch I keep Go Packs around to grab and go.  I buy the when Target has them on massive sale - often $2.88/pack.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#7 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

^^ Perfect thank you for the input about the lunch box. I hadn't even thought about warm foods. Ill put that on my list of questions to ask the preschools when we go and look around.

Is the preschool through your school district?  If so, you can get a 504 Plan for her.  My youngest is starting Kids Morning Out through our district and we put together her plan before school got out so she starts Day One being safe.

Luckily, the woman that puts these together does the whole district, so she brought older daughter's plan and we built on that.

The KMO program does a snack for the kids that they provide - goldfish, graham crackers, pretzels, etc.  Total gluten nightmare.  So I'm sending in a snack every day that she's there.  It's in her plan to always feed her first (no gluten on their gloves), but she's pretty good about opening our containers without help.  It's that little stuff you have to consider.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#8 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

My boys lunches usually consist of:

• smoothies (veggies, fruit, yogurt, protein powder and other stuff
  • veggies (cucs, carrots, peas, peppers)
  • fruit (mango, apples, bananas, grapes, berries)
  • crackers (rice crackers, Mary's, ricecakes)
  • muffins (usually coconut flour)
  • a treat (granola bar - Glutino)
  • pepperoni sticks and meats
  • cheeses
  • nuts (if not an issues for the location) and seeds
  • bag of cereal (Chex)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Christine0125

Christine0125

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

We do a lot of wrap sandwiches.  The Toufayan gluten free wraps are awesome with turkey, provolone, bacon and a little ranch dressing.  I also do sandwiches on canyon bakehouse bread, cheese sticks w/ salami and chips or crackers.  I usually put a fruit of some kind plus a piece of chocolate or a handful of M&Ms.  We order a bunch of nuts and dried fruits from nuts dot com and make a trail mix as we're trying to increase my daughter's fat/calorie intake. 

#10 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

My kids are homeschooled, so most of our lunches are hot meals like stir fry, beans and rice, baked sweet potatoes, etc. but for portable stuff, hummus and veggies are awesome! Costco carries individual size cups of hummus.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: