Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Happens When You Are Glutened? What Do You Do?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 bd13

bd13

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Being newly diagnosed I've never been able to feel the real brunt of being glutened but two or three times. When I get glutened I feel like something is kicking me in the stomach, and it twists and turns uncontrollably. I also vomit excessively followed by acid reflux (sorry for the description :/). What do you do to help soothe being glutened? And what happens when you are glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Help soothe it? I haven't found anything for that. :-/ I have to just let it run it's course.
When I get glutened, within a short time I will feel like I haven't slept in days. A couple hour later, the horrible abdominal pain starts. By the next morning, I get to add brain fog to the list (to the point last time I couldn't remember a very regular customer's name and address). The fatigue and abdominal pain last from 1-3 days, but the brain fog lasts a week. This is from cross contamination, I am a pain when it cones to eating out (I only trust 1 restaurant cuz the manager I know there is the daughter of a celiac), and I triple check what I buy at the grocery store.
Everyone's symptoms are different, and the time tables are different. You will have to learn as you go what yours are. I have also seen many people have new symptoms when they get glutened after being gluten free for a long time.

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! 😁😀😜😛😎😷😋😇😏

#3 glutenfreeliac

glutenfreeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

I retreat to my safe food -- mostly chicken and rice. Light veggies. Seriously, I focus on what I know is safe and let my body do its thing. I've heard tales of foods/enzymes/whatever that help clear your system, but I am skeptical. It takes time for your system to clear -- and the amount of time depends on your body.

As for symptoms, we're all different. I swell up immediately, but you may differ. The trick, after avoiding gluten like crazy, is to know the symptoms you have and get through them as best you can. I do my best to avoid gluten -- and I've been amazingly successful, all things considered -- but once I've ingested it, I have to ride it out.

This is an increasingly rare thing for me....

#4 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

It really varies from person to person.  The first thing to start for me is the horrible pain followed by nausea/vomiting.  For the pain I take hot baths or use a heating pad, I luvz me a good heating pad.  I take Pepto to help with the burning feeling and a anti-nausea med for the obvious.  With your vomiting issues you should be able to get a prescription for one.  They do work wonders.  This pain/ stomach issues can last hours to days for me.  After or if I am lucky during the pain and nausea comes the diarrhea.  Pepto helps with that also.  Pepto is my new best friend, I have it every where!  After I am done with the big D, it's followed by constipation that I have to take a bunch of more meds for.  Then I get a few days of muscle/joint aches and nerve pain, all the while the brain fog is hitting me like crazy and I have reverted to talking like a toddler.  There is nothing for the fog but time.  Sometimes it takes longer to get better than other times.  I can't say go away because I believe my IQ has dropped tremendously the last few years and am wondering if it will ever be what it once was. I also have some women related issues that I can pin down to glutenings but you two don't need to hear about them, I double up on my probiotics.  I also tend to get a little bitchy when I have been glutened.  Sometimes unreasonably so.  I realize it a little too late and then am apologizing profusely.  The self control is getting easier to handle though as time goes by. I have been glutened four times in three months, I am new - crap happens.  Only one has been a full on ate a bunch of gluten, the others are all CC issues.  I didn't do it on purpose, the brain fog had me thinking I could eat one thing when I couldn't ( Reece's Pieces v.s Peanut Butter Cups - one is safe, the other clearly not!).  The only difference with that one was that the pain was so much worse.  It seems like they are more prolonged the longer I go between glutenings.  This last one is on day 5 and I am not even half way through my list of symptoms.  I also try to drink water like crazy, flush that poison out. Other than that, it takes time and patience, which I never seem to have enough of. :)

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#5 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Beth, I have to know (and don't want to go to how store right now and look) which reeces is safe??

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! 😁😀😜😛😎😷😋😇😏

#6 beth01

beth01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

The peanut butter cups, just so they aren't holiday items ( or so I have read, don't know if that is up to date info though).  I can attest to the fact that the ever loved ET Recee's Pieces  are not gluten free.  Oh so yucky!

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

#7 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

The regular size peanut butter cups are gluten-free.  Holiday shapes, small bites and larger ones, ect should be checked first and may contain/do  contain gluten.  Do trust an educated guess on any product.  And watch for recipe changes.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: