7 replies to this topic

#1 Celiac Ninja

Celiac Ninja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

The Gluten Free Certification Organization is finally heard by the FDA and this August 2014 the law for gluten free labeled food and beverages must meet below the 20ppm (parts per million) standard or they will be relabeled (to not have a gluten free or certification label) or removed from the shelves. It took 10 years for the GFCO (Gluten Free Certification Organization) to be heard by the FDA.

Go get 'em FDA! I'm tired of getting glutened!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

That's great that they are strengthening the standards!

I wonder, though, how are they going to enforce that?

It seems that there wouldn't be enough man power to go investigate every food that carries a gluten free label.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

It further complicated by a lack of accurate testing: http://books.google....eaction&f=false

"The results demonstrate that current gluten analysis methods cannot accurately quantify prolamines in all food matrices and further work is needed to improve the reliability of gluten quantification."

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

In a perfect world, they would be on things proactively, but that is usually not the case.  Generally a complaint has to be filed, takes them a while to look into it, they send a cease and desist, etc etc.   Just think about all those dangerous weight loss supplements that come out and make millions before the FDA throws the hammer at them... I speculate it will be a similar pace to that.  Of course, in the case of gluten-free mislabeling, there seem to be many smaller companies labeling their product with many claims with ignorance to what they actually mean, so hopefully most issues will not get to the point where the FDA has to force them to close, and it will be cleared up with the first contact.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

It further complicated by a lack of accurate testing: http://books.google....eaction&f=false

"The results demonstrate that current gluten analysis methods cannot accurately quantify prolamines in all food matrices and further work is needed to improve the reliability of gluten quantification."

Yeah, that!  

I think manufacturers are just going to repackage rather than actually keep the gluten-free claim and worry about being "caught" but the non existent government regulators ;)

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

The best solution then is to continue to eat whole foods, and when a gluten-free treat is in order, buy from the "good guys" we already trust - Udi's, Canyon Bake House, Against the Grain, etc.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

The best solution then is to continue to eat whole foods, and when a gluten-free treat is in order, buy from the "good guys" we already trust - Udi's, Canyon Bake House, Against the Grain, etc.

I fully agree.  I will still go with a trusted brand over something questionable every time.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

^Exactly!

My CSA produce has no confusing labels on it. :)

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: