Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gaining Weight Since Going Gluten Free, And Already Overweight!

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks and went back from my 2 week follow up with my doctor, and I have gained almost 2 pounds.  Problem is, I do not need to gain any weight, infact I am significantly overweight and need to lose.  I have not been eating much gluten free specialty products at all, and sticking mainly with salads, protiens, and veggies. 

Is this normal? For those of you who are, too, overweight - how did you deal? How did you lose weight?

Ads by Google:

If you are celiac and you go gluten-free, as healing starts you are absorbing more nutrients as well as more calories. The good news is, if you are healing you will soon start feeling well enough to exercize.

I think your body is going thru a with drawl symptom, I had a very hard time the 1st few weeks. I was so bloated! I was so sick. Just keep up with the diet and stay away from the gluten-free processed stuff. Maby you can start walking?? It helps me. I seriously don't know how I can be as heavy as I am. I don't eat much. I have lost over 40 lbs after going gluten-free. But still weigh 160 lbs. Only thing I have going for me is I am 5"7" tall.  Good luck :) 

I've noticed a lot of the gluten-free foods are very high calorie food so even if you are not eating a lot of them, they may be adding up.  There are a lot of cell phone apps and/or websites that you can track calories.  Maybe pay attention to how many calories you are eating each day and see if there is something there too.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully things start to even out! I am back at the gym, so we'll see. Thanks again!

This has happened to me also, even eating good food. I have always had days where I just have uncontrollable hunger and it seems to have improved the past month or so. I have also taken up swimming a few times a week. I have arthritis and it seems to be a great workout with no pain for me. I looked it up and it actually burns something like 450 calories for 40 mins of 'leisurely freestyle swimming' And i assume its good for building muscle too.

I use a fitbit that tracks how much I walk/eat amongst other things. It has helped me keep track of things pretty well, i would recommend this to anyone trying to gain, lose, or maintain weight. Good luck!

Jennifer,

Thank you, thank you thank you, while I am on the  lose weight spectrum as well I had questions regarding Fitbit and other fitness bands.

I use a fitbit that tracks how much I walk/eat amongst other things. It has helped me keep track of things pretty well, i would recommend this to anyone trying to gain, lose, or maintain weight. Good luck!

Jennifer,

Thank you, thank you thank you, while I am on the  lose weight spectrum as well I had questions regarding Fitbit and other fitness bands.

The Polar FT4 heart rate monitor is pretty inexpensive on websites like Amazon and you can use that as a great tool in your fitness arsenal. THe fitbit monitors hr too but I don't believe it is as accurate at Polar and thus the calorie counting aspect is off.

Hear you loud and clear!   I gained cause food tasted so darn good again.  And I could eat again without getting sick!   Give it a little time and things should even out as you get more comfortable with the new eating plan. 

UGHH this is my fear! I am so bloated and overweight as it is :/ I know I am going to be tracking so I don't go overboard on the processed gluten-free convenience foods. Good luck. Hopefully the more energy you gain your body will start burning more calories.

I put on 25lbs post diagnosis. When I wanted to kickstart my weight loss, I followed a diet called whole 30. It worked really well in getting me started. It's grain, soy, legume, and dairy free . It really helped me develop better eating habits in general. For example, I was someone who could not do coffee without milk and sugar. Now I enjoy it black! Don't feel like such a carb-aholic anymore.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf