Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gaining Weight Since Going Gluten Free, And Already Overweight!

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 JesikaBeth

JesikaBeth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Hi Everyone. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks and went back from my 2 week follow up with my doctor, and I have gained almost 2 pounds.  Problem is, I do not need to gain any weight, infact I am significantly overweight and need to lose.  I have not been eating much gluten free specialty products at all, and sticking mainly with salads, protiens, and veggies. 

Is this normal? For those of you who are, too, overweight - how did you deal? How did you lose weight?

~Jessica Elizabeth~

Diagnosed with:

• GERD October 2005
  • Fibromyalgia February 2006
  • TMJD 2007
  • Hashimotos May 2008
  • Type 2 Diabetes May 2012
  • Non Hodgkin Lymphoma November 2013
  • Celiac July 2014 (Positive Antibody Test/Bloodwork. Biopsy Inconclusive.)
  • OCD September 2000
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder September 2000
  • Bipolar Type II October 2005
  • Adult ADHD(Inattentive Type) October 2005

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

If you are celiac and you go gluten-free, as healing starts you are absorbing more nutrients as well as more calories. The good news is, if you are healing you will soon start feeling well enough to exercize.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

I think your body is going thru a with drawl symptom, I had a very hard time the 1st few weeks. I was so bloated! I was so sick. Just keep up with the diet and stay away from the gluten-free processed stuff. Maby you can start walking?? It helps me. I seriously don't know how I can be as heavy as I am. I don't eat much. I have lost over 40 lbs after going gluten-free. But still weigh 160 lbs. Only thing I have going for me is I am 5"7" tall.  Good luck :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#4 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

I've noticed a lot of the gluten-free foods are very high calorie food so even if you are not eating a lot of them, they may be adding up.  There are a lot of cell phone apps and/or websites that you can track calories.  Maybe pay attention to how many calories you are eating each day and see if there is something there too.

#5 JesikaBeth

JesikaBeth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Hopefully things start to even out! I am back at the gym, so we'll see. Thanks again!

~Jessica Elizabeth~

Diagnosed with:

• GERD October 2005
  • Fibromyalgia February 2006
  • TMJD 2007
  • Hashimotos May 2008
  • Type 2 Diabetes May 2012
  • Non Hodgkin Lymphoma November 2013
  • Celiac July 2014 (Positive Antibody Test/Bloodwork. Biopsy Inconclusive.)
  • OCD September 2000
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder September 2000
  • Bipolar Type II October 2005
  • Adult ADHD(Inattentive Type) October 2005

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#6 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

This has happened to me also, even eating good food. I have always had days where I just have uncontrollable hunger and it seems to have improved the past month or so. I have also taken up swimming a few times a week. I have arthritis and it seems to be a great workout with no pain for me. I looked it up and it actually burns something like 450 calories for 40 mins of 'leisurely freestyle swimming' And i assume its good for building muscle too.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

#7 JennyD

JennyD

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

I use a fitbit that tracks how much I walk/eat amongst other things. It has helped me keep track of things pretty well, i would recommend this to anyone trying to gain, lose, or maintain weight. Good luck!

#8 Serielda

Serielda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

Jennifer,

Thank you, thank you thank you, while I am on the  lose weight spectrum as well I had questions regarding Fitbit and other fitness bands.

I use a fitbit that tracks how much I walk/eat amongst other things. It has helped me keep track of things pretty well, i would recommend this to anyone trying to gain, lose, or maintain weight. Good luck!

#9 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:24 PM

Jennifer,

Thank you, thank you thank you, while I am on the  lose weight spectrum as well I had questions regarding Fitbit and other fitness bands.

The Polar FT4 heart rate monitor is pretty inexpensive on websites like Amazon and you can use that as a great tool in your fitness arsenal. THe fitbit monitors hr too but I don't believe it is as accurate at Polar and thus the calorie counting aspect is off.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13

Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October

Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac

HLA-DQ2 positive

Vitamin D insufficiency confirmed 12-6-13

Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14

Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Dairy removed again 10-2014 due to ongoing diarrhea symptoms

Diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis after colonoscopy 12-1-14

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Hear you loud and clear!   I gained cause food tasted so darn good again.  And I could eat again without getting sick!   Give it a little time and things should even out as you get more comfortable with the new eating plan. 

#11 edgymama

edgymama

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

UGHH this is my fear! I am so bloated and overweight as it is :/ I know I am going to be tracking so I don't go overboard on the processed gluten-free convenience foods. Good luck. Hopefully the more energy you gain your body will start burning more calories.

#12 d33dee1988

d33dee1988

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

I put on 25lbs post diagnosis. When I wanted to kickstart my weight loss, I followed a diet called whole 30. It worked really well in getting me started. It's grain, soy, legume, and dairy free . It really helped me develop better eating habits in general. For example, I was someone who could not do coffee without milk and sugar. Now I enjoy it black! Don't feel like such a carb-aholic anymore.

http://whole30.com/w...-program-rules/

http://whole30.com/d...opping-list.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: