This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think I Ingested Gluten...now What?

jayman6

jayman6 Rookie

About 8 weeks ago I had a scope done and my doctor said my biopsy was inconclusive but he saw minor signs of beginning celiac disease. I have been gluten free ever since and actually began feeling a lot better. Up until this point I've continued to eat things that had no gluten ingredients and continued eating at restaurants and was just fine and not sensitive to cross contamination (at least that I'm aware of to this point) as long as the food was not made with gluten-containing ingredients. Two days ago I went to a restaurant with a potential employer so I did not want to be picky about what I ate (although I realize that was a mistake). I ordered a salad that was marked as gluten free but the dressing they brought me was not the dressing listed on the menu. I know this was stupid, but I took a chance and ate it anyway. Yesterday and today I have not felt very good, although I also don't feel extremely bad as I once did while I was regularly eating gluten. I'm not interested in hearing about how this was a stupid mistake because I already know that, but I'm wondering whether I've completely set back the last 8 weeks of going gluten free or if since the dressing was a small amount I will begin to feel better in the next few days or weeks.Does anyone have any personal experience with how long accidental ingestion of gluten takes to sort of clear out and how long it takes to start feeling better again? Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Sorry you are sick. 

Recovery times vary a lot. Some people do not get a single symptoms while others are knocked back for weeks.  Hopefully you'll feel better within a week or so.

L-glutamine is supposed to help with intestinal lining healing.  Sleep and fluids tend to help too.

Best wishes.

LauraTX Rising Star

Ugh, I feel bad for you to have been stuck in that position.  I totally understand.  Honestly, when it comes to getting "glutened", everyone is different.  I don't get conclusive symptoms after accidentally ingesting it, and some people get violently ill.  But either way, damage is still being done to the small intestine, so some people have smaller reactions when they get smaller amounts, but not always.  Since you are newly diagnosed and still healing, think of it as peeling off a scab before it is ready. (sorry if that is gross!) It will take a bit to smooth out.

Getting to know your own cycle of symptoms upon gluten exposure is a good thing to do, you may even want to journal your symptoms and after a few times you will know what to expect after you realize something went wrong and is already in your tummy.  Hopefully a few others will add how they deal with glutenings on here, but just eat plain whole foods like chicken, rice, and veggies until you feel better so you don't aggravate your upset system.  

beth01 Enthusiast

I can never tell to what degree my symptoms are going to be based on the amount of gluten ( cc v.s a full on exposure).  My worst pain was from a full on exposure a few weeks after my diagnosis.  The symptoms follow a pattern for me though - pain,nausea,vomiting,diarrhea - which then quickly turns to constipation after the D, women issues, muscle/joint/nerve pain, and the awful brain fog. It seems the longer I go between glutenings though, the longer my symptoms stick around.  I am on day 8 right now and still a mess after a cross contamination.  I also have really bad bloating right now  which I haven't had a lot of.  One nice thing though is I no longer get the debilitating migraines that I got before diagnosis.  I was diagnosed a little over three months ago but had my appendix out and some other health problems also.

I take Pepto ( I have bottles everywhere, purse, car, fridge, bathroom, bedroom, my parent's) I also take anti-nausea meds, and a heating pad is my friend for the pain. Drink lots of water!! Like Laura said you do really want to go easy on your belly after a glutening, jumping right in again to regular food just seems to prolong the discomfort.

Archived