74 replies to this topic

#1 coffngrl

coffngrl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

Talking to a neighbor, I said I had used my rice cooker a lot while renovating my kitchen. He says, "I hear they are the very best for making rice" - I replied "oh yes, very good". Then he says this which made me bite my tongue hard to not bust out laughing like an insane person:

"We haven't been eating rice, we are trying to cut down on our glutens".

ISYN.

Bangs. Head. Against. Wall.

Thought you all might need a giggle this morning.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

"Like!"
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

"It's whole wheat flour. Don't worry about gluten!"

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

"Wait, there's potatoes in that!...don't eat that! you can't have those right?"

After taking my gluten-free order and assuring me she understands celiac and gluten free, the server asks" So did you want the bread basket?"

"Oh Irish, you think you're so smart...but you're wrong....there's gluten in (and I am not making these up, okay)

water, toilet paper rolls, semen, dryer sheets, eggs, paper towel rolls and paper cups.

(nope, nope, hell no!, nope, un uh! and wth?  negatory and nope. )

"I can't let my kids play with that neighbor's dog because they eat gluten over there."  :huh:

There are tons more, but some people may read this and think I am making fun of the comments--I'm not, I am just illustrating that gluten and CC is poorly understood, even by those who have to avoid it. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Yep! I have seen & heard some real doozys.

One of my favorites - someone posted that a waiter told them the white bread was Ok - it's made from rice. I read that to my then 13 yr old son - " that's great, Mom! You can eat white bread!.......wait....what?......that can't be right....you mean REGULAR white bread? .wheat flour is white and makes regular white bread!"

I thought if a 13 yr old boy knew better, a waiter should really know better!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

I thought all grains contained something referred to as "gluten", just not the kind of gluten that someone with celiac disease reacts to. Apparently gluten is found in all cereal grains, but only the gluten in wheat, rye, etc makes us sick...so grains like rice, buckwheat, etc are listed as gluten free, since they are safe for us to consume. It seems that the term 'gluten' has two meanings and it can get confusing. I took it to mean that he was staying away from all grains, but who knows! 

When I was in NYC with my friends, they all wanted to go to a cupcake shop called Crumbs (which is apparently going out of business now) I happily trudged along with them and pulled out my plain cashews and ate those while they ate their cupcakes. The guy friend we were visiting made a snarky remark and asked me if I was enjoying the nuts. He started to go on and on about how I can have a "little" here and there, it won't hurt or kill me. Every time that I try to explain the disease, it's like he tunes me out. He ASKS me about it, and then doesn't listen when I try to explain. He seems to think it's all a big fad diet and that I'm completely exaggerating, so I've stopped bothering. Would you tell a person with a peanut allergy they can have a couple of peanuts? I know it's not the same exact thing, but still!

My mom also doesn't seem to believe in cross contamination, which is INSANELY mind boggling, due to the fact that she has a pork allergy..and if she goes to a restaurant and her eggs are cooked near where bacon is cooked, she will get very sick. It's the same concept, yet she can't wrap her head around it that it's the same way if gluten touches food. 

And, Irishheart, funnily enough, about the potatoes - this doesn't have to do with celiac disease, but I am lactose intolerant, and before I was diagnosed with celiac disease one of my guy friends asked me if I could have potatoes. What do people think are in potatoes??  :o

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

And, Irishheart, funnily enough, about the potatoes - this doesn't have to do with celiac disease, but I am lactose intolerant, and before I was diagnosed with celiac disease one of my guy friends asked me if I could have potatoes. What do people think are in potatoes??  :o

I don't know hon, but people seem to be clueless about food period. It's too bad they don't teach nutrition courses in school anymore. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 gilligan

gilligan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

I almost got in an argument with a lady working in the meat dept. of a grocery store when I asked if their own brand of fresh cured bacon contained gluten.  She told me I didn't need to worry about that unless I really had celiac, and even then it was only in bread - no meat products.  I told her that I did indeed have celiac, and that her info wasn't correct, so I needed to know.  She kept reiterating that it was only in bread, so...I just walked away.

#9 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I almost got in an argument with a lady working in the meat dept. of a grocery store when I asked if their own brand of fresh cured bacon contained gluten.  She told me I didn't need to worry about that unless I really had celiac, and even then it was only in bread - no meat products.  I told her that I did indeed have celiac, and that her info wasn't correct, so I needed to know.  She kept reiterating that it was only in bread, so...I just walked away.

Before I was diagnosed and only heard about celiac disease here and there, I too thought that gluten was only in bakery products. Boy, was I wrong....

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

#10 sweetsailing

sweetsailing

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

My husband came home from work one day and told me all about a nutritionist who have given a talk a seminar that he attended at work that day.  We both work for a health and wellness company who sponsored the seminar.  He told me that the nutritionist clearly stated that M & M's contained gluten.  At first I was in a bit of a panic.  Had I read the label wrong?  I looked again and I'm like, I don't know what she thinks gluten is but there are none in my M & M's

Diagnosed Oct 2013 - Double DQ 2 (2.5 and 2.2)

Gluten Free Since April 2013, June 2013, and finally strictly gluten free since Oct 14th 2013 (Ok, it took a few tries to finally realize gluten was my issue)

Mustard Allergy

Osteopenia

#11 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

A restaurant once told me that tofu contains gluten, because it's a soy product. *bangs head against wall*

Some tofu does contain gluten (if it's flavored tofu and that gluten usually comes from the soy sauce) but plain tofu is fine. Not sure where they think that soy beans would get gluten from..... (barring any cross contamination of course, and there are a number of brands of tofu that are made in dedicated facilities anyway, like Nasoya, Azumaya, Mori Nu, Small Planets Organics.)

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#12 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

My husband came home from work one day and told me all about a nutritionist who have given a talk a seminar that he attended at work that day.  We both work for a health and wellness company who sponsored the seminar.  He told me that the nutritionist clearly stated that M & M's contained gluten.  At first I was in a bit of a panic.  Had I read the label wrong?  I looked again and I'm like, I don't know what she thinks gluten is but there are none in my M & M's

I wish there was gluten in M & M's...those things are so addictive, ya can't eat just one .......bag!  :lol:

#13 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

LOL!  :)

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#14 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

I ate M&Ms a lot when I was first diagnosed  :P

But then I realized I can't have soy, and although they are gluten free...they are not soy free. Sigh.  :(

#15 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

I can tolerate soy but do badly with dairy, so no M &M's for me either. I wonder if there's a brand somewhere that doesn't have dairy or soy?

~Ruth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: