#61 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

That is so cool!

I love Kettle brand potato chips. I take it that they must be soy and corn free, in addition to gluten free. :)

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

Yep. They are cooked in sunflower oil. But let me tell you, if you can find Boulder Canyon Olive Oil chips, TRY THEM!! They are not greasy like Kettle Brand, and they are without a doubt the very best chips I have ever tasted. Plus, being cooked in olive oil, I tell myself they're good for me! :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#63 user001

user001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

OMG YOU CAN'T HAVE DORITOS....DON'T EAT THAT!

YES, I can!

LMAO

edit.. not doritos.. what are those things?? tostitos?

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

#64 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

Oh my.....it's been a long time since I've posted on this site but I HAD to after reading this thread.

1) Once asked a waitress what salads were gluten free. She pointed them out, then told me a couple I couldn't have because they contained Romaine. Apparently Romaine contains gluten.....? I actually wanted to order one of the salads that had Romaine in it and she refused to serve it to me because she didn't want me to get sick. I finally ordered the spinach salad, and then she brings me a basket full of breadsticks <_<  

2) Was in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Hostess says they've got a ton of gluten free options and to just ask the waiter once we're seated. So I do. His response? "Look at the menu, you know what you can eat better than I do". That guy got a cruddy tip.

Eat, drink, and be merry!

#65 poneelovesyou

poneelovesyou

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

Wow! These are some fun ones! I am continously blown away by the ignorance of people especially in the restraunt industry who are confident when they tell you something is gluten-free, and then later you have a reaction and know they were full of shit. At a thai resteraunt, I asked the guy over and over, because I was so skeptical. He assured me that 100% of everything on the menu was gluten-free. I thought, well thats odd considering soy sauce is in like almost all thai dishes. I think he was confused with MSG( mono sodium GLUTamate) Similar enough right? Ha!

Another ethiopian place I went, online they advterized gluten-free injera bread. We called before going, just to double check. When we get there, I triple check by asking the waitress (who hardlty spoke english) if the injera bread there was gluten-free. I think she thought I was asking if it was free, or extra charge. I went through the next week not understanding why I had such terrible anxiety and eradic brain chemistry. I went back to the resteraunt a week and a half later with a friend, and the new waitress said, "no, there is deff wheat in the bread". Resteraunt fail. Seems like this happens over and over, and people don't seem to understand how their negligence puts me in suffering for weeks.

#66 Alwayssomething

Alwayssomething

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

I had someone tell me that I could have the brownies she made because she only added nuts, no flour.   

This same person saved me the Teddy Graham from the top of a cupcake that someone had made becuase the "knew you couldn't have the cupcake".   

I also had eaten a very plain basic meal at a restaurant on several occasions and never had a problem but one time when I ordered that same meal the waitress informed me that I couldn't have the carrots, they had sugar in them.   Gluten = Gluton???? 

#67 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

Haha, so I'm a dietitian, and I work with other dietitians. Once had a dietitian (an old boss, who has a MASTERS DEGREE in nutrition mind you) give me a bag of chocolate covered pretzels as a gift. "I'm not sure if they're gluten free or not...."

They most certainly were not. Let's just hope she's not counseling any celiacs any time soon.

Eat, drink, and be merry!

#68 Noobette

Noobette

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

I had someone tell me that I could have the brownies she made because she only added nuts, no flour.   
   [/size]

Maybe she meant the brownies were made with nut flour? There are a million recipes out there for grain-free brownies made with almond flour.

A co-worker brought shortbread cookies to work a while ago which everyone was raving about. She said the secret was that they were made with corn flour. I was feeling sorry for myself since everyone was going on and on about how amazing the cookies were, so my ears perked up. I asked "Corn flour? But they have wheat flour too, right?" And she said "No, no wheat flour." I got pretty excited thinking I just might be able to eat one of these fabled cookies and said "Really, ALL corn flour and no wheat at all?" Her reply: "Oh, and regular flour too." *facepalm*

Turns out she had no idea that regular flour was made from wheat..

#69 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

Wow.  :blink:  :o

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#70 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Turns out she had no idea that regular flour was made from wheat..

This happens way too often, LOL

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#71 jessiej

jessiej

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

I was in Starbucks recently grabbing a coffee, and noticed they started selling little gluten-free rice krispie treats. I think they must have come out that day or something, because the barista making the drinks was talking to the cashier about how gluten free diets were proven to be unnecessary. He just kept going on and on about how it's all a crock and a marketing trend and how "no one needs to be gluten-free." I don't follow the science on non-celiac gluten sensitivity enough to have a non-anecdotal opinion on it, but I wanted to shake the man and say, "What about people with celiac??!!". That was my most ridiculous run-in with someone lately :)

Edited by jessiej, 01 October 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#72 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

Okay, how about "Most Ridiculous Celiac Comment Ever?"

"Oh yeah, we know all about celiac disease. Our son had it. But you know what? He was cured by acupuncture. Now he can eat gluten anytime he wants. You should try it!"

#73 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:05 AM

I went to an Outback Steakhouse awhile back because they are usually pretty good about being gluten-free. I was getting take-out for one, and I was very specific about my dietary needs with the young lady who took my order. She said she understood, and that she would be extra vigilant, and check with the kitchen on everything to make sure I got no gluten. 

When she brought the bag to my car (they do curbside delivery), she told me how careful she had been because she really, really didn't want me to get sick. She assured me that there was no gluten.

When I got the bag home, I opened it to find a lovely gluten free meal...topped by a huge serving of bread!

#74 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:21 AM

Oh my!

I hope that you went back and complained.

~Ruth

#75 Purpletie3

Purpletie3

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for sharing your funny stories...

My most hysterical moment was last weekend when my boyfriends Aunt said " Hey, we're doing that gluten free thing too" AS she slopped the beer out of her cup. I passed a note to her boyfriend with Red Bridge on it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: