Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Recent Experiences With Soul Dog In Poughkeepsie, Ny?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

Has anyone tried Soul Dog recently? Their older reviews are excellent, but it sounds like the business was sold a while ago (in 2013?) and I've read mixed things since then. Their online menu says they have a dedicated gluten-free kitchen, but they also have both regular and gluten-free mac & cheese on the menu, it sounds like gluten-free hot dog buns are by request and not automatic, etc. So I'm not sure how it can be a "dedicated gluten free kitchen" if they also serve wheat foods...but maybe I'm missing something. I'll call to clarify when they open, but what I'd really like to know is whether anyone with celiac has eaten here since it changed owners, and whether they got sick.

We are heading to Poughkeepsie tomorrow and would love to have a restaurant option if it truly is safe...but my red flag alert is on high when it sounds like a restaurant claims to have a dedicated gluten-free kitchen without understanding that that means no gluten in the kitchen at all!

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

A lot of independent restaurants neglect their websites, so I would think calling ahead is definitely in order.  Silly thing for them to do since a lot of restaurant traffic is internet driven nowadays.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

I called, and they do indeed use wheat buns, and have wheat pasta, as well as gluten-free versions. The woman I spoke with said that all the bakery items they make there are gluten-free, but there are wheat products in the kitchen and served to customers. I suggested that this makes it misleading to advertise as having a dedicated gluten-free kitchen, since the natural way to interpret that is that there is no gluten in the kitchen at all, which isn't the case there. Her response was that they are careful about cc (which may indeed be adequate, but it still seems misleading to claim it's a dedicated gluten-free kitchen - sounds more like a dedicated prep space).

I'd still be interested in hearing if anyone has eaten there recently. Headed that way tomorrow....

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: