This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feel Like It's Always Something...so Frustrated!

icelandgirl

icelandgirl Proficient

I am feeling so frustrated that I just want to cry. It really feels like it's always something and all I want is to feel good and be healthy so I can take care of my kids.

I've been gluten free since diagnosis on January 23rd. I am only eating whole foods that I prepare and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting the hang of this thing.

3 weeks ago I got a uti. Ugh. The doctor put me on an antibiotic...it cleared up. But 5 days later I was hit with the worst case of D since diagnosis. Watery...10 -20 times a day. Felt so awful. On the 4th day I went to see my doctor because I was getting dehydration and I was scared about c. Diff. He had me do stool samples and as of yesterday I ever heard nothing on those. The D went away thankfully...but 2 nights ago the uti symptoms start again. I spent all of yesterday drinking water and cranberry juice...hoping somehow to flush it out. But after waking up many times last night in pain I went in this morning and sure enough...I have another one. She put me on macrobid. Also...she's sending it off to be cultured to see what it is.

Anyway...I'm so tired of feeling bad! I can't believe I'm on antibiotics for the 3rd time this year...I had to take them in January for h.Pylori. I'm really worried about what they will do to my poor gut and if I'm ever going to get to a point where I don't have D for a month...feel good for a month.

Thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions are always appreciated. Or feel free to share your own frustrations.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beth01 Enthusiast

Talk to the doctor and ask what they can do to get your normal bacteria level up.  All your healthy bacteria are kaput from the antibiotics.  Are you taking probiotics?  If not, I would get a good one and take it.  You need to find a balance for your normal flora.  The second UTI might have to do with the large amounts of diarrhea.  Things can get messy down there if ya know what I am saying.

icelandgirl Proficient

Talk to the doctor and ask what they can do to get your normal bacteria level up.  All your healthy bacteria are kaput from the antibiotics.  Are you taking probiotics?  If not, I would get a good one and take it.  You need to find a balance for your normal flora.  The second UTI might have to do with the large amounts of diarrhea.  Things can get messy down there if ya know what I am saying.

Thanks Beth. I take a probiotic twice a day. I agree about them being kaput. I really don't want to be on an antibiotic again. I'm 42 and with the constant issues I'm starting to feel 82. Sigh...

kareng Grand Master

Sometimes the standard dose doesn't get rid of the UTI. It's good that they are culturing it. That way you can take what you need to wipe it out and not have to do this again in a month! Hope you feel better soon.

icelandgirl Proficient

Sometimes the standard dose doesn't get rid of the UTI. It's good that they are culturing it. That way you can take what you need to wipe it out and not have to do this again in a month! Hope you feel better soon.

Awww...thanks kareng. I would like to not have this happen ever again! Have you had this issue? Anything I can do besides probiotics to help myself?

kareng Grand Master

Awww...thanks kareng. I would like to not have this happen ever again! Have you had this issue? Anything I can do besides probiotics to help myself?

My mother had this. Every couple of months - another UTI. Finally landed her in the hospital - UTIs in the elderly can lead to some other things. Then they cultured it and she was able to get the right meds to wipe it out! It didn't come back!

I think things like yogurt and other probiotics are all you can do. I don't think they are supposed to be in the stomach with the antibiotic? Seems they might mess it up. I don't have any link for that, just makes sense to me.

Hopefully, this will take care of it .

kareng Grand Master

Oh! THere is that stuff you can get to make it feel better. Azo? It was gluten-free last time I checked. Doesn't cure it but makes you feel better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

Oh! THere is that stuff you can get to make it feel better. Azo? It was gluten-free last time I checked. Doesn't cure it but makes you feel better.

I got some yesterday when I was thinking maybe I could muscle through it somehow. Flush it out with water...didn't work...just got no sleep last night.
kareng Grand Master

I got some yesterday when I was thinking maybe I could muscle through it somehow. Flush it out with water...didn't work...just got no sleep last night.

There is one for the pain and one to try to prevent.

icelandgirl Proficient

There is one for the pain and one to try to prevent.

I didn't realize that. I got the one for pain. I'm going to have to check into the other one. Thanks!
beth01 Enthusiast

Walmart or Walgreen's can't remember which, sells over the counter pain relief for UTI's and cranberry pills to take to help prevent them. I believe they are the AZO brand.

icelandgirl Proficient

Walmart or Walgreen's can't remember which, sells over the counter pain relief for UTI's and cranberry pills to take to help prevent them. I believe they are the AZO brand.

I have the ones for pain and they do seem to be helping. Will be taking my second antibiotic with dinner. Already feel nauseous.
SMRI Collaborator

Antibiotics can do that to you as well so the combination might just be overload for you!!  It sounds like whatever antibiotic they prescribed didn't get the bacteria the first go-round so the culture is good so they can get you on the right medication.  My daughter has been on I don't know how many antibiotics and it helps her to take them with yogurt.  I hope you feel better soon!!

icelandgirl Proficient

Thanks smri...I really hope this one does the trick. It's making me really nauseous though. My kids start school 2 weeks from today and it's another day of mom feeling bad.

Thanks for the yogurt tip...I will try that!

kareng Grand Master

Thanks smri...I really hope this one does the trick. It's making me really nauseous though. My kids start school 2 weeks from today and it's another day of mom feeling bad.

Thanks for the yogurt tip...I will try that!

Open Original Shared Link

I have always heard you shouldn't take yogurt with the antibiotic for various reasons. Maybe eat something other than a dairy product?

LauraTX Rising Star

Yes, there are many antibiotics that do not absorb well around dairy.  Call your pharmacist and ask first.

icelandgirl Proficient

I have always heard you shouldn't take yogurt with the antibiotic for various reasons. Maybe eat something other than a dairy product?

Oh interesting. Thanks for that. I've taken 3 of the pills so far...11 to go. I really don't feel any better. Anyone with experience in this know how long it usually takes? This is the pits.
SMRI Collaborator

That is for 2 specific classes of antibiotics.  If she is not one one of these, yogurt is fine and recommended.  She can call her pharmacist to double check.

icelandgirl Proficient

Got a call from my Dr's office. The cultures came back negative. I don't have a uti. WTH. I'm still peeing all the time and have all of this pelvic pressure. I go in on Wednesday for a pelvic exam and ultrasound. I'm so tired of all of this. It really feels like there is always something wrong. Just want to cry.

nvsmom Community Regular

(((HUGS)))

icelandgirl Proficient

(((HUGS)))

Thanks Nicole...really needed that. Feeling scared.
beth01 Enthusiast

I have had this same sort of problems.  Been through multiple bladder scans and bladder washes trying to figure it out.  They never seem to figure what causes it and then it runs it's course.  I usually keep up with the over the counter pain meds for UTIs and drink tons of water.  I hope you figure it out.  It really is a pain thinking you have a UTI all the time.

have you been glutened recently?  I seem to get this problem after a glutening.

icelandgirl Proficient

I have had this same sort of problems.  Been through multiple bladder scans and bladder washes trying to figure it out.  They never seem to figure what causes it and then it runs it's course.  I usually keep up with the over the counter pain meds for UTIs and drink tons of water.  I hope you figure it out.  It really is a pain thinking you have a UTI all the time.

have you been glutened recently?  I seem to get this problem after a glutening.

Thanks Beth. That sounds annoying. I've been feeling like this since last Wednesday. How long do yours usually last? The nurse I talked to mentioned ultrasound to look for ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids. I had uterine polyps removed in February along with my gallbladder. This isn't fun ya know? When do we get to feel good? Speaking of...how are you feeling? I know that you were having a rough time last week.

Oh...and I don't think I've been glutened...just feel like a walking symptom all the time.

SMRI Collaborator

Got a call from my Dr's office. The cultures came back negative. I don't have a uti. WTH. I'm still peeing all the time and have all of this pelvic pressure. I go in on Wednesday for a pelvic exam and ultrasound. I'm so tired of all of this. It really feels like there is always something wrong. Just want to cry.

Any chance you are pregnant?

icelandgirl Proficient

Any chance you are pregnant?

Gosh...I don't think so. Had my period 2 weeks ago. Also...my hubby had a vasectomy after my little one was born.

Archived