18 replies to this topic

#16 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Just got contacted by Ebay--this buyer's account has been suspended. Yay! Now not only can he NOT leave us negative feedback, he can't make any other sellers miserable.  :)

Time to look at reporting him to the Internet Crime Complaint center and maybe other avenues. The more thieves get away with their crimes, the more they will do them.

Down with scammers!

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Feeling wonderful right now! :)

Since our first horrible experience with a scammer, we now implement strict screening measures on any buyers, including confirming their address and investigating basic facts. We also require a valid phone number.

If they don't have one listed, they are required to call us and talk to us on the phone. If their address seems at all strange or unconfirmed, we find out why and determine if it's a real person or not. (i.e. one customer had item shipped to University of Wisconsin because he was a professor there and we verified that by looking at the university website)

If we don't feel comfortable, the Iphone doesn't leave our house until we do. 99 times out of 100, scammers won't want to talk to you on the phone. 99 times out of 100, good people won't be offended that you are trying to protect others against identity theft and protect yourself from losing money.

Today, due to implementing these screening measures we successfully stopped a criminal! Someone purchased an Iphone with a stolen PP account and by catching the inconsistencies quickly, we were able to pick up very fast that it was a scammer and immediately cancelled the transaction and issued the "buyer" a full refund. Looks like we probably saved 2 other innocent victims by being more observant. And not surprisingly, the criminal never called us on the phone. After refunding the money, we relisted the Iphone and we were able to sell it to a real verified buyer.

Iphones are a high risk item and for here on out, using a little precaution could save bucketloads of grief.

We did win the fight with that last scammer, but he fought to the very end, even going so far as to file a chargeback to his credit card after we won the prior case. We called Paypal and they returned our money and banned him from the site.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#18 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Unfortunately what Paypal gave us was essentially a temporary "courtesy credit." The chargeback continued and the credit card company ruled in the buyer's favor, even though he never returned the phone. So he kept our brand new phone AND all of his refunded money.

We're now pursuing reporting him to law enforcement and reporting the phone as stolen to Apple.

We've implemented even tighter security on our Ebay sales, such as blocking foreign payments through our Paypal account, etc.

If those white collar criminals would put all that energy towards an honest living, they would be just fine.

~Ruth

#19 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

Just reported the phone as stolen to Apple. If a user attempts to activate it, they will get that message and we will be contacted. Then hopefully with the help of the current owner, we can track the bad guy down eventually. 

I'm going to file a police report this morning too.

~Ruth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: