This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Please Help, Does This Sound Consistant With Gluten Intolerance

Matt.tilley

Matt.tilley Newbie

Hi everyone. I'll try to be quick with the background because seemingly its the same for most people. But here goes. 2 months ago i had a stitch like pain in my left abdomen under left ribs, sort of spleen area, like a balloon was under there. and i was bloated. I had mild constipation (this day i had eaten a pizza, toast and a cake) it persisted, i went to doctor. had an array of blood tests all negative, including celiacs, doctor said mabe ibs, i then saw another doctor after a month of similar discomfort, she said seemed like gluten is a problem for me after analysing my food diary. I went gluten free for 2 weeks and felt better, however after every meal i could still physically feel something under my ribs, top of my colon, spleen stomach, muscle (no idea) but it is there. however no cramps, stitchs and bloating less. I then one week ago had a sandwich as i was in a rush and i felt terrible all day, huge bloating constipation for the first time in months, cramps. So it seems gluten is a problem for me. BUT... does anyone have the same symptoms as me? are they consistant in Gluten senstivity? what is it i can feel when im bloated? it isnt pain its just there.if you stand up and breathe in filling your abdomen on there is something tangible that follows the angle of the rib cage down,protruding a little out further than them and when i eat i feel this even when im not breathing in. is it my spleen? my transverse colon? muscles that are normal but when im bloated they are pressed against like when i breathe in? i would really appreciate any advice, i feel a little alone, the doctors don't seem very knowledgeable on this subject. btw I am fit and healthy, 29 years old from UK, im  5ft 10inches tall and 70kg , i eat healthily also. Thank you so much everyone look forward to your opinions. Thanks Matt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user001 Contributor

I have heard that many people are tested for years before having a positive diagnosis for celiac. If you feel better off gluten, then stay away. I have been having a similar pain on the right side under the rib case, radiates a bit into the back 1-2 hours after eating. It seems to be ok if i take a digestive enzyme with my food, I think it has to do with the pancreas and the small intestine. The enzymes help. Here is a really great thread i found. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105648-exocrine-pancreatic-insufficiency/?hl=pancreatitis#entry910796

scroll down to the #5 post from the power of positive thinking. It was very helpful to me. In the mean time if you have a heating pad on hand, laying on a heating pad seems to help me.

Matt.tilley Newbie

Thank you very helpful. 

Matt.tilley Newbie

Will this get better the longer i am off gluten? 

user001 Contributor

Someone else could probably be more helpful. From what I have read, it is some thing where the pancreas gets messages from the villi to release enzymes and when the villi are damaged it gets all messed up and creates pain., when the villi heal, the problem should resolve (villi will should heal on a gluten free diet). The enzymes seem to help me A LOT, I thought for awhile that it was what I was eating, but it wasn't it was just anything I ate.

Matt.tilley Newbie

Someone else could probably be more helpful. From what I have read, it is some thing where the pancreas gets messages from the villi to release enzymes and when the villi are damaged it gets all messed up and creates pain., when the villi heal, the problem should resolve (villi will should heal on a gluten free diet). The enzymes seem to help me A LOT, I thought for awhile that it was what I was eating, but it wasn't it was just anything I ate.

thanks.very helpful, it is left abdomen sticking out under the ribs and when bloated I can actually feel a ridge like a tube or something, not sure if its an organ or muscle because of the bloating. very confusing. the doctor just give me 2 leaflets one on ibs one on gluten senisitivity which were so basic and sent me away 

nvsmom Community Regular

When I was constipated, my colon (descending) would swell and I could feel the top of it under the bottom my ribs rather firmly.  My anatomy may be a bit different though because I haven't had a spleen for over 20 years. The bloating would sometimes hurt to stand up straight and it did change with deep breaths but after being gluten-free for 2 years, I don't remember exactly how.

My bloating and constipation (and stomach pains, arthritis, migraines, etc) were not a consistent thing for me.  Some days (weeks/months/years) were better than others, although the symptoms did slowly grow worse and more frequent as the years went by.

You might as well get tested. Keep eating gluten until testing is complete.  Best wishes.  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user001 Contributor

I mentioned it to my doctor 3 times and he brushed it off. He said 'it might be a little IBS' riight. Since I have been gluten free, i just have this pain, no C or D associated with it. it could be a world of things! I really recommend the enzymes, try it and see if it helps, if not press the doctor to investigate more.

Matt.tilley Newbie

I mentioned it to my doctor 3 times and he brushed it off. He said 'it might be a little IBS' riight. Since I have been gluten free, i just have this pain, no C or D associated with it. it could be a world of things! I really recommend the enzymes, try it and see if it helps, if not press the doctor to investigate more.

Thanks a lot. what enzymes? do i just go to pharmacy and buy any that say digestive enzymes. or... can you recommend a brand or are there certain buzzwords/ ingredients to look out for ? 

user001 Contributor

Well here in the US there is a brand called enzymedica "digest gold" is the type i use. There is several different kinds in there. You could look them up and see whats in there or if you can purchase in your area.

TorontoGal Newbie

I've been gluten free for 2 months now. All my symptoms went away, but about a month in, I had the same feeling under my ribs on the left as well. I couldn't even sleep on that side because it felt like I was laying on a ball or something. After eating, or when taking deep breaths, I would get pain there that almost felt like a tearing? Anyway, I had an ultrasound done, but it came back normal. I then went to a Naturopath who said it may be a muscle problem. She did acupuncture, which seemed to help a little bit. I still have the pain from time to time, but it's no longer constant. I hope you get it figured out!!

Archived