lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hi everyone,
Just a bunch of questions for everyone.

1. During this weather change, does it really affect anyone? I'm finding I'm feeling flu-like most evenings.

2. What were your first symptoms to ease off, and which ones took a little longer to go gluten free?

3. Is anyone ever just scared to eat because you just are sick of getting sick?

4. Does anyone take pepto-bismol for nausea? I've been feeling nauseated lately.

5. What can help me sleep? I wake up fine, crash around 4pm-10pm, then am up til like 3. Valerian sometimes works. Does anyone else get this?

6. What vitamins/supplements do you take?

Thanks everyone.
Gluten-free, Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:58 PM

Hi everyone,

1. During this weather change, does it really affect anyone? I'm finding I'm feeling flu-like most evenings.
2. What were your first symptoms to ease off, and which ones took a little longer to go gluten free?

4. Does anyone take pepto-bismol for nausea? I've been feeling nauseated lately.

5. What can help me sleep? I wake up fine, crash around 4pm-10pm, then am up til like 3. Valerian sometimes works. Does anyone else get this?

6. What vitamins/supplements do you take?
Thanks everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#3 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

Hi Lorka 150 -

When I was first diagnosed, it was all I could do to come home from work and fall into bed. I was sleeping all evening and waking up and watching tv for a few hours, just in time to fall asleep for another hour or so before I had to get up. Well I guess I was getting my 8 hours of sleep, just not when I wanted them.

My body was retaining no nutrients, so I just couldn't function. I even ended up in the hospital because I wasn't retaining Vitamin K (for clotting) and developed a nose bleed that wouldn't stop and bruises all over my body. I had to get 6 units of blood and 1 unit of plasma. Once I went gluten free and got my blood levels back on track I have a lot more energy than I have had in a long time.

The first symptom that went away for me was the diarrhea. I had it for 3 months before being diagnosed and had lost 30 pounds. I didn't mind losing the weight, but that wasn' the way to do it.

I do take vitamins. Right now I am taking the Spring Valley Allergy Free Naurally Complete Multivitamin and the Iron. In the past I have taken CVS brand.

Be careful and read the ingredients. Before I went gluten-free I was taking Walmart brand - big mistake. THEY ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE (It does list gluten in the ingredients, although it is the last ingredient and I almost missed it). :huh:

Good luck -

Cindy (aka kevs mom - I really do have my own identity)
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#4 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:27 PM

I do take vitamins.  Right now I am taking the Spring Valley Allergy Free Naurally Complete Multivitamin and the Iron.  In the past I have taken CVS brand. 

Be careful and read the ingredients.  Before I went gluten-free I was taking Walmart brand - big mistake.  THEY ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE (It does list gluten in the ingredients, although it is the last ingredient and I almost missed it).  :huh: 

Good luck -

Cindy (aka kevs mom - I really do have my own identity)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My daughter just inherited my Walmart supplements. I'd used them before, but ignored my own advice and didn't read the labels when I restocked last month. But thanks to this forum, I was about to answer another post on what I took and so I finally read the label. Gluten was the very last word :angry: :angry: No wonder it was all I could do to make it through the week at work - I was poisoning myself!!! I always forget to take my supplements during the weekend - different routine.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#5 Cindy Chabot

Cindy Chabot

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

Hi
My son and I have been gluten-free since August and we're both not feeling that great. He just spent the last three days in bed. The intestinal problems are much better but the fatigue is overwhelming sometimes. I have been taking a multivitamin and fiber capsules for the past couple of weeks.

I have read so many other posts and I realize that we should start feeling better in a little while. Until then we just have to grin and bear it.
Cindy

Positive biopsy
gluten-free since August 4, 2005
Son - positive biopsy
gluten-free since August 4, 2005

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only food that I can't be sure is gluten-free. What can I be POSITIVE is gluten-free? Whole, fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole, unprocessed beans and nuts (that would mean raw on the nuts). Whole, fresh, unprocessed meat (that really really really means unprocessed).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

Hi
My son and I have been gluten-free since August and we're both not feeling that great.  He just spent the last three days in bed.  The intestinal problems are much better but the fatigue is overwhelming sometimes.  I have been taking a multivitamin and fiber capsules for the past couple of weeks.

I have read so many other posts and I realize that we should start feeling better in a little while.  Until then we just have to grin and bear it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the fatigue try CoQ10. This is an enzyme. I can only speak for myself - it has been a life safer. Claire

#8 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:17 AM

on symptoms... my constipation was the first to improve, after several months of gluten-free. brain fog, fatigue and fibromyalgia type pain are still present at 8 mos gluten-free. i have had more energy the past 2 weeks...so hopefully i'm turning a corner!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#9 debbiewil

debbiewil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:35 AM

The diarrhea cleared up first. Then the brain fog, unless I accidently got glutened. I still have sleep problems, although I've seen a bit of improvement in the last few days. I'm starting to have occasional days when I have energy! Not much, but any improvement is welcome. I only started gluten-free end of August, so I'm about in the same time frame as you.
Oh, I take basic one-a-day. Per their website, they don't add gluten but won't guarantee it's gluten free.
Q. How much gluten does this contain?
A. We do not add any gluten to our products. However, we cannot guarantee that all raw materials are 100% gluten-free.
It was what I had, and I figured that would work for now. When this bottle is done, I might look for one of the others that will guarantee being gluten free. But the one-a day is available anyplace, and comes in several different formulas, which makes it very convenient. I haven't added anything else, yet, but am thinking about it.
Debbie

#10 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:47 AM

1. During this weather change, does it really affect anyone? I'm finding I'm feeling flu-like most evenings. How long have you been gluten-free--maybe you are getting gluten in someway or maybe it is an intolerance to something else that you havent found yet. I cant tolerate much corn or soy and it is a different reaction then gluten for me.

2. What were your first symptoms to ease off, and which ones took a little longer to go gluten free? My first symptoms to go were the diarrhea--the chemical embalances too longer--my panic eased in time--the overall achiness did get better in time, I will always have to deal with my neuropathy symptoms.

3. Is anyone ever just scared to eat because you just are sick of getting sick? I used to be this way. In the beginning, I ate only cottage cheese and fruits, along with caramel corn rice cakes and peanut butter. I never put anything in my mouth that I have the slightest doubt about. The one thing I do that sometimes can be tricky is kissing :P and I am not giving that up ;) .

4. Does anyone take pepto-bismol for nausea? I've been feeling nauseated lately. I find that when I take anything for nausea, it makes me feel better for the time being, but I feel worse the next day. The one thing I do use is Walmart's Equate Gas Relief Extra Strength--I dont have any after effects with it. I havent taken pepto-bismol for years.

5. What can help me sleep? I wake up fine, crash around 4pm-10pm, then am up til like 3. Valerian sometimes works. Does anyone else get this? This I cant help with--I never found the answer. Even if I stay up late, I tend to be a clock watcher. I wake several times in the night--but my prob may be my neuropathy.

6. What vitamins/supplements do you take? I take Nature Made Woman +50 with iron, a good B complex, B12 1000mcg sublingual and I try to take calcium, all gluten free---I am on Long Island now and I have found that some CVS vitamins do state gluten free on them. Always read the ingreds though--I found barley in a gluten free product.

Deb

Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#11 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:39 AM

[quote name='darlindeb25' date='Nov 4 2005, 09:47 AM']
[color=blue][size=1]1." 3. Is anyone ever just scared to eat because you just are sick of getting sick? I used to be this way. In the beginning, I ate only cottage cheese and fruits, along with caramel corn rice cakes and peanut butter. I never put anything in my mouth that I have the slightest doubt about. The one thing I do that sometimes can be tricky is kissing :P and I am not giving that up ;) ."

I don't know if this is relevant but if I kissed someone who has drank beer, or rye or any liquor like that I would get sick. Actually with beer especially I would be very sick.
I guess I messed this quote up.

Edited by Rusla, 04 November 2005 - 06:42 AM.

Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#12 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:40 AM

oh, and i just saw this article with tips to help you sleep today... it has some good ideas. http://lifestyle.msn...=59400&GT1=7386
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#13 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:00 AM

[quote name='lorka150' date='Nov 3 2005, 05:03 PM']
Hi everyone,

1. During this weather change, does it really affect anyone? I'm finding I'm feeling flu-like most evenings. I find I get headaches with the changes in the weather ~ mostly due to the pressure changes. 2. What were your first symptoms to ease off, and which ones took a little longer to go gluten free? I guess the icky bm's... I get really tired at first, and have a lot of gas (attractive, huh??!!)... then the real fun starts. So, I guess you can reverse the order for going away first. 3. Is anyone ever just scared to eat because you just are sick of getting sick? Yes, all the time! I debate every time I am asked to go out if I should just drink a diet coke or actually try and eat something. The diet coke usually wins! I HATE getting glutened, so I avoid eating unless I KNOW without a doubt that what I am putting in my mouth is gluten-free. 4. Does anyone take pepto-bismol for nausea? I've been feeling nauseated lately.
No, I usually just grin and bear it and wish I could throw up! 5. What can help me sleep? I wake up fine, crash around 4pm-10pm, then am up til like 3. Valerian sometimes works. Does anyone else get this? If I am having a bad night, I will take 1 Simply Sleep tablet. It is made by Tylenol. That works great for me. Puts me out. :)6. What vitamins/supplements do you take? I take a liquid B-12 and Viactiv Mulitvitamin. I also take a liquid multivitamin as well.

I hope that helped!! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

#14 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:58 AM

Sorry Rusla--I didnt mean that I walk around kissing everyone--geez--just that I draw the line at worrying constantly. My man is very careful with me. He knows how easily I can be glutened and he is careful, but, if I was to get glutened by a kiss, I would just deal with it and kiss him again the next time. That comment was for a smile :rolleyes: --Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: