This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

And My Search Is Likely Over...

Georgia-guy

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I have been looking for a celiac/NCGI support group in my area, and haven't found one within 100 miles (closest was about 120 miles). That is, until a couple days ago. I was googling reviews for gluten free menus at local restaurants, and found a review posted on Facebook by a group page called "Hold The Gluten Support Group". Not wanting to get my hopes up as the review was a couple years ago, I messaged the group page asking if the group still met....and they do! Once a month about 15-20 minutes from my home! Finally I will be able to talk to local people who have celiac/NGCI! I still love this site, and will stay on here, but being able to talk to people in my area in person will be such a good thing for me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beth01 Enthusiast

I hope you find people your own age.  The support group meeting I went to in my area didn't have anyone within 30 years of my age, all little old men and women and their walkers.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

OH, I hope you have a good one!

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I hope you find people your own age. The support group meeting I went to in my area didn't have anyone within 30 years of my age, all little old men and women and their walkers.

I was trying to not think about that factor quite yet...

beth01 Enthusiast

Sorry to burst your bubble, peed in your Wheaties, rained on your parade, got your undies in a bundle, knickers in a knot, you get it lol.

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL I went to s support group meeting once, and I think I was the average age - most were between 25 and 55. I think there was only one senior.... Of course then again, I said, "sorry to burst your bubble" to one of my boys the other day. About the only one there I haven't said is "peed in your Wheaties"... What does that mean anyways?!  LOL  I'm only 40 - I'm not that old.  Okay, I'm halfway old.

Good luck with the group.  Bring a pen and paper!  When I went to my meeting, I learned about many places to shop and what restaurants are to be trusted. It was a bunch of good info.  Good luck.   :)

LauraTX Rising Star

I thought you were gonna say you asked that girl out and she jumped into your arms and told you to marry her!  LOLOL...but a gluten-free support group is just as good! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

Sorry to burst your bubble, peed in your Wheaties, rained on your parade, got your undies in a bundle, knickers in a knot, you get it lol.

Wheaties!

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

LOL I went to s support group meeting once, and I think I was the average age - most were between 25 and 55. I think there was only one senior.... Of course then again, I said, "sorry to burst your bubble" to one of my boys the other day. About the only one there I haven't said is "peed in your Wheaties"... What does that mean anyways?! LOL

Good luck with the group. Bring a pen and paper! When I went to my meeting, I learned about many places to shop and what restaurants are to be trusted. It was a bunch of good info. Good luck. :)

Peed in your Wheaties...when someone pees in your cereal, it ruins the cereal. (However, I don't care if someone pees in my Wheaties since I can't even eat Wheaties.

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I thought you were gonna say you asked that girl out and she jumped into your arms and told you to marry her! LOLOL...but a gluten-free support group is just as good! :)

Haha...I wish. I still haven't seen her again. :-/

beth01 Enthusiast

Seriously, I am surprised we didn't have the meeting in a nursing home.  One nice thing though is they send out a newsletter every month with recipes and news about celiac. I know there is a woman in the area that is trying to start a support group for children in the area which I am awaiting for my 11 year old.  The woman ran for Miss Wisconsin and used Celiac as her platform for running.

I don't know where the peed in your Wheaties came from.  It's something I always ask my boyfriend when he wakes up in a bad mood " who pissed in your Wheaties today)?  I am rather giddy today, it's the best I have felt in weeks!

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I am rather giddy today, it's the best I have felt in weeks!

Isn't it great to feel great!
nvsmom Community Regular

Peed in your Wheaties...when someone pees in your cereal, it ruins the cereal. (However, I don't care if someone pees in my Wheaties since I can't even eat Wheaties. )

LOL I want to know how that saying came about! How and why did the first Wheatie pee happen... LOL :blink:

nvsmom Community Regular

Jinx

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

LOL I want to know how that saying came about! How and why did the first Wheatie pee happen... LOL :blink:

I misunderstood your question...

I think the saying started before my time. I'm a little young to remember.

beth01 Enthusiast

I don't know when the first Wheaties peeing happened, but I know I have been saying that for as long as I can remember ( that means earlier today).  Maybe I did the first Wheaties pee......

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL I guess that one hasn't hit Canada yet.

bartfull Rising Star

I hope you find people your own age.  The support group meeting I went to in my area didn't have anyone within 30 years of my age, all little old men and women and their walkers.

HEY!! I resemble that remark! :angry:  :lol:

You might be surprised to find out that some of these little old men and women with their walkers are actually younger people whose bodies have been so ravaged by long-term celiac that they just LOOK old. :P

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Ha! I was also hoping this was girl related. You'd better still give that a shot.

Allegedly there's a support group (branch of Canadian Celiac Association) in Toronto, but it seems to be more of a suburban people with kids with Celiac kind of thing.
I have a few Celiac friends here, and every so often we try to go treat ourselves to safe dinner, but mostly we all fend for ourselves.

GFinDC Veteran

There are local groups here in DC.  One of the groups has a Yahoo  group for sharing info.  You could try starting a Yahoo group for your area Georgia-guy and you might get people joining from your area.  One Yahoo group here is DC sillyaks and another  is DCceliacs.  Post your group to Craigslist and see what happens.  Or maybe try a meetup event.  Some hospitals also have support groups.  CSA has groups nationwide also.

Archived