This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Think I Wasted My Money .....

Bonnie

Bonnie Explorer

Hi guys,

I finally went and bought a bread machine realising at last this is a lifelong thing.

Well, I have tried every recipe I can get my hands on and they all SUCK. I mean honestly the bread, even toasted, tastes disgusting.

I live in South Africa, I cannot get Kinnikinick (sorry no idea how to spell) products or any other read-made gluten-free bread. I can't get gluten-free tortillas or anything else I could use for a bread substitute.

I really really need some sort of bread - can anyone help me? I've lived without bread for 7 months now and I'm desparate!

Yvonne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Sorry to hear that! :(

I have been working on solving the same problem and this is the recipe that I have come up with so far:

Open Original Shared Link

The only complaint I have to work on it its a bit heavey.

Jenn2005 Contributor

I bought a bread machine this week from Dillards. It was a Cuisinart Convection Bread Maker for $106.00 including sales tax. It has a cycle specifically for gluten free bread and a few recipies in the cook book that came with it for gluten free recipies. I was excited to see right on the box that it had a gluten free cycle.

I stopped at the local health food store and bought a package of the Bob's Red Mill (I think that was the name or something like that). It was very easy to use the machine and the bread looked great when it came out. My husband said it wasn't bad and my son has had it for breakfast as toast (it actually toasts unlike some of the frozed brands) for the past 2 mornings.

I ordered the Breads by Anna at Gluten Evolution that was mentioned on here as the best bread to make. I can't wait for it to get here. You may want to try this kind if you can order it they have several different types depending on what food intolerances you have and they also have a banana bread.

Good luck with your bread issues.

Jennifer

Rusla Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I finally went and bought a bread machine realising at last this is a lifelong thing.

Well, I have tried every recipe I can get my hands on and they all SUCK.  I mean honestly the bread, even toasted, tastes disgusting.

I live in South Africa, I cannot get Kinnikinick (sorry no idea how to spell) products or any other read-made gluten-free bread.  I can't get gluten-free tortillas or anything else I could use for a bread substitute.

I really really need some sort of bread - can anyone help me?  I've lived without bread for 7 months now and I'm desparate!

Yvonne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry Yvonne, Kinnickinick is not that good. Try www.glutenevolution.com Everyone here says her breads are good and not dry like dirt. She will send to Canada so you may send to you too. I am getting some next week.

lovegrov Collaborator

I hate to be discouraging, but gluten-free bread just flat-out tastes different and has a terrible texture. After four years of being gluten-free, I simply don't eat it any more.

richard

hsd1203 Newbie

I don't eat it very often, but the breads by anna one is very good. the texture is easily the best Ive come across for gluten-free breads and even my husband, who won't eat anything gluten-free, voluntarily ate a huge chunk the last time I made it. If you haven't tried it, I'd give it a shot.

H

oh, and just be sure to really oil and flour your pans well... it has a tendency to stick to the pan! happy baking!

skbird Contributor

Yvonne - I just used my breadmachine the other day for the first time in over 9 months. I had only gotten it a year before then, because I was going wheat free and making spelt bread, etc a lot. Then I went gluten free and attempted to make a few doorstops :D , doing things like babysitting the breadmachine so I could take the paddle out after the first knead (oh, that was fun) and finally just packed it away. Then I got one of the Manna from Anna/Bread from Anna mixes and it is GREAT! I hope you can get that in South Africa. I am going to buy more, finally feel ok about a gluten-free bread.

It's funny because I nearly sold my breadmachine in a yard sale. I decided to wait until I tried this mix first... good thing! I will branch out into recipes again at some point but most I've seen have potato in them and that won't work for me. I have read that using sweet rice flour is a decent sub for potato though, so that might be my next experiment.

You'll find something, I'm positive!

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bonnie Explorer

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I have sent an email to Breads by Anna to seen if they will send me some.

Richard - so far I agree with you. I am ready to give up on bread altogether. Pretty much used to going without it by now.

Stephanie, :lol: ah the paddle issue - it makes really interesting big holes in my "bread". Thoughout about trying to dig it out after the kneading too!

Have a great day!

Yvonne

Japsnoet Explorer

Have you thought of trying Bread, buns and breakfasts cookbook by Lola Workman. She is an Australian author. I recently got a copy of her book and it has some great new high-fibre bread recipes in. It is excellent for a beginner baker or a person that is not that confident in baking gluten-free bread. Her bread recipes are really easy to follow and not very complicated. You could pretty much give her book to a beginner baker it is so well laid out. Her book is even easier to follow than Bette Hagman’s The Gluten –Free Gourmet Bakes Bread book. I bought my copy at Dymocks one of the local bookstores in Oz.

When I did a search through google I found the publisher Open Original Shared Link maybe they could tell you of how you can get hold of her book in South Africa. A number of her recipes are yeast and diary free as well. I suggest you try the Barbari pockets , Yeast-free brown loaf and the Yeast free saddle loaf etc . Lola’s butternut bread, I would def give a thumps up. I think her book was fantastic investment.

I’m not connected to the book in anyway. I have just found it to be really useful and I like the fact that her breads are high-fibre very easy to bake and really tasty. She also does not use guar gum or xanthan and tends to use more gelatine in her recipes so if you have a problem with flatulence this really helps. :D

Bonnie Explorer

Hi Japsnoet,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try and get hold of that book. I have ordered the Bette Hagman books already through Amazon, just waiting for them to arrive but if you say this Lola Workman book is easier then that's the one for me!

Thanks again, have a great day.

Yvonne

Rusla Enthusiast
I don't eat it very often, but the breads by anna one is very good. the texture is easily the best Ive come across for gluten-free breads and even my husband, who won't eat anything gluten-free, voluntarily ate a huge chunk the last time I made it.  If you haven't tried it, I'd give it a shot.

H

oh, and just be sure to really oil and flour your pans well... it has a tendency to stick to the pan!  happy baking!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which bread from Anna do you usually get and have you tried her Banana bread one?

eeyor-fan Contributor
Hi guys,

Well, I have tried every recipe I can get my hands on and they all SUCK.  I mean honestly the bread, even toasted, tastes disgusting.

I live in South Africa, I cannot get Kinnikinick (sorry no idea how to spell) products or any other read-made gluten-free bread.  I can't get gluten-free tortillas or anything else I could use for a bread substitute.

I really really need some sort of bread - can anyone help me?  I've lived without bread for 7 months now and I'm desparate!

Yvonne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried some of Bette Hagman's (Gluten Free Gourmet) recipe's, she has lots of books out and one just on bread itself.You can buy her books online or if they are not in your local book store they can probably order them for you (or check your local library). She has lots of recipes for bread machines and we have found some pretty good ones ( :) as good as gluten-free bread is gonna get).

Japsnoet Explorer

Bonnie

I did a further web search and found Buns, Breads & Breakfasts online at

Open Original Shared Link

OR Just ask www.amazon .com to order it for you or go to your local bookstore in South Africa and provide them with the below details.

Buns, Breads & Breakfasts

Author: Workman, Lola

Paperback

160 pages

Published: March 2003

R & R Publications & Marketing

ISBN: 1740222504

Hope this helps. Try the Pita and Naan bread you won't be sorry. :D

carriekate Rookie
I bought a bread machine this week from Dillards.  It was a Cuisinart Convection Bread Maker for $106.00 including sales tax.  It has a cycle specifically for gluten free bread and a few recipies in the cook book that came with it for gluten free recipies.  I was excited to see right on the box that it had a gluten free cycle. 

I stopped at the local health food store and bought a package of the Bob's Red Mill (I think that was the name or something like that).  It was very easy to use the machine and the bread looked great when it came out.  My husband said it wasn't bad and my son has had it for breakfast as toast (it actually toasts unlike some of the frozed brands) for the past 2 mornings.

I ordered the Breads by Anna at Gluten Evolution that was mentioned on here as the best bread to make.  I can't wait for it to get here.  You may want to try this kind if you can order it they have several different types depending on what food intolerances you have and they also have a banana bread. 

Good luck with your bread issues.

Jennifer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BabySnooks Rookie
Hi guys,

Yvonne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Yvonne,

I too was discouraged, trying at least four different frozen breads and they all sucked. I now bake loaves from Breads by Anna and this bread is wonderful. Try it, you'll like it!

Matilda Enthusiast

Hi Yvonne,

I just wanted to back up the recommendation for Betty Hagman's bread book. I've tried the French bread mix, and not had much luck with it. Otherwse the only recipe I've tried is the sesame bean bread on page 43, which is a version of her Four Flour bread. I keep making this one because I like the taste, and by repeating it I'm getting better at making it.

I really like this book because it's got loads of information about how gluten-free bread works, and what to do when it doesn't work right.

Also here are a huge variety of recipes, and lots of advice on substitutions, so you should be able to find something you like, and even if you can't tolerate particular ingredients, or can't get them, you should be able to find something you can make.

Good luck!

Matilda

Idahogirl Apprentice

I just got a breadmaker for my birthday, and tried it out last night. First time I've had bread in three weeks. It was wonderful. :D We used the Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free bread mix. It was so easy to make, and it was yummy. I am having a sandwich today!!!

I'm hoping there is a cheaper way to make bread, though. This mix was a lot for just one loaf. I'll look for the gluten free gourmet book. Is it cheaper to buy the ingredients in bulk rather than buying a mix every time? $5 or $6 for one (small) loaf of bread is a little steep for me!

Lisa

Archived