Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

To Anyone Looking To Get A Dx Of Dh (A Skin Biopsy)

dermatitis herpetiformis dh dh biopsy

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Please document your rash in photos, print them out & take them to the derm @ your appt. The rash may not look like your photos or be flaring when you see the derm. You can't rely on just telling the doc what it looked like, you need to show them!

Do NOT get a biopsy if you have taken oral steroids or used topical steroids in the past 2 months.

DO NOT go gluten free or even gluten light until AFTER the biopsy has been performed. 

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 norahsmommy

norahsmommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Good to know about the steroids. We occasionally use hydracortisone cream on our daughter. I haven't for about 3 weeks because I was actually hoping her rash would be really bad ( horrible I know) when she went to the doc so they would take me seriously.

#3 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

I want to add to wait until AFTER RESULTS ARE BACK AND A DIAGNOSIS IS MADE to go gluten free or gluten light. Just having the biopsy done (or the endoscopy or blood tests as well) does not mean it will give a definitive answer. The doctor may want to supplement a test with another one, or the results may not be conclusive and they may wish to redo a test.

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! 😁😀😜😛😎😷😋😇😏

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:44 AM

Absolutely correct Georgia_guy!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

Is it true you need to do the biopsy on a fresh patch?  I whisked one daughter in to have her rash tested right away.  I was told you can test the rash ANY time.  I also was told that Celiac Disease is a GI DISEASE!  We were told to put lotion on her "dry skin".  During the day it did rather look like dry skin,.  It looked like eczema in the evenings.  In the end the rash appeared to be a reaction to the soap in a school's bathroom.  I still haven't looked to see if it contains wheat germ.

Later,  I then printed off some information I found from this sight and mailed it to the doctor.  It showed 300 symptoms of celiac.  Many of the symptoms were not GI related.

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Is it true you need to do the biopsy on a fresh patch?  I whisked one daughter in to have her rash tested right away.  I was told you can test the rash ANY time.  I also was told that Celiac Disease is a GI DISEASE!  We were told to put lotion on her "dry skin".  During the day it did rather look like dry skin,.  It looked like eczema in the evenings.  In the end the rash appeared to be a reaction to the soap in a school's bathroom.  I still haven't looked to see if it contains wheat germ.

Later,  I then printed off some information I found from this sight and mailed it to the doctor.  It showed 300 symptoms of celiac.  Many of the symptoms were not GI related.

Not ON a fresh lesion but ADJACENT to a FRESH lesion. You can NOT have a valid dh biopsy if you have been gluten-free or gluten light --- you have to be actively eating gluten for at least 2 months if you had been gluten-free or gluten light. If you have taken oral or used topical steroids in the last 2 months, you will get a false negative.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Can you define "Fresh lesion"?  Also adjacent would mean right next to current sore?  Is that hoping that whatever caused the disturbance would be there also?  I would appreciate it if you know any answers.

My whole family would likely have to be said to be gluten light since no gluten is in our kitchen.  Quite possibly, though, at various times family members eat elsewhere frequently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: