20 replies to this topic

#16 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Farmer's markets and buying in bulk save you lots of money. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I bought some gluten-free products to try today--I had $13 in coupons but oy!!  I did buy some cookies--2 of them--for $4--but I was craving something sweet.  I am saving them for after dinner tonight :D.  For the most part we eat meat, potatoes and veges for dinner so those costs haven't gone up.  Malt-O-Meal has a "healthy" line called MOM for cereal.  They have several gluten-free options and the cost isn't too much more.  Are regular Cocoa Pebbles gluten-free?  The MOM line has some that are like Cocoa Pebbles and they taste just like them.

I discovered that one of the grocery store chains here has a registered dietitian on staff and she will do store tours with you to help you learn to shop.  They have a really nice gluten-free section too.  I don't normally shop at that store but I will probably do a tour with her because some things I'm still not sure about.  They had some potato chips on sale, $2/bag, that appeared to be gluten-free but didn't say so on the package.  I'm pretty sure they were but I didn't get them.  She could give me a more educated opinion on them during a tour :D.

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

I bought some gluten-free products to try today--I had $13 in coupons but oy!!  I did buy some cookies--2 of them--for $4--but I was craving something sweet.  I am saving them for after dinner tonight :D.  For the most part we eat meat, potatoes and veges for dinner so those costs haven't gone up.  Malt-O-Meal has a "healthy" line called MOM for cereal.  They have several gluten-free options and the cost isn't too much more.  Are regular Cocoa Pebbles gluten-free?  The MOM line has some that are like Cocoa Pebbles and they taste just like them.

I discovered that one of the grocery store chains here has a registered dietitian on staff and she will do store tours with you to help you learn to shop.  They have a really nice gluten-free section too.  I don't normally shop at that store but I will probably do a tour with her because some things I'm still not sure about.  They had some potato chips on sale, $2/bag, that appeared to be gluten-free but didn't say so on the package.  I'm pretty sure they were but I didn't get them.  She could give me a more educated opinion on them during a tour :D.

Lots of prepackaged and processed foods are gluten free.  Both Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles...all chex except Wheat Chex.  Frito Lay Chips. Pebbles, Cheetos and M&Ms got my teens through the transition....most important read labels - every time.  Label reading - like most things about removing gluten - become much easier with time.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#19 Eddiethecat

Eddiethecat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

i did find glutino sandwich bread mix (it is cheaper on amazon) it make a HUGE loaf! It is delicious too, I just toast it up. much better then pamelas and bobs red mill in my opinion! I also made my own granola because natural pb was on sale this week, it came out really great! I got gluten free oats on amazon for a lot cheaper too, also gluten free bisquick to keep in. 3 boxes for $12 can't beat that!

I really liked the gluten free pantry mix, but saw that it is now by Glutino, I tried a box and it did rise nicely but had a funny aftertaste/texture to me.... I have some Gluten Free For Me mix I haven't tried yet, waiting for my intestines to calm down from the pamelas.

Gluten free since 09/10/2013

Have not been officially diagnosed yet however genetic test shows DQ8 celiac gene:

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1      0302   
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2      0301   
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ   3,3  (Subtype 8,7)

Gluten symptoms: Fatigue, joint pain, migraines, chronic constipation, brain fog, depression, anxiety.

#20 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Another solution that I use is to go to my Amish salvage grocery stores. I find lots of gluten free stuff there for pennies on the dollar. I remember once I found Tinkyada pasta for 69 cents a bag. I think that I bought 20 bags of it!

Other times I have found Bob's Red Mill products for 99 cents a bag.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#21 BoJonJovi

BoJonJovi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

I have been a health nut all of my life so going gluten free was not a big deal. I do miss my crunchy French bread and still do. Finding the products with trace gluten has been a real issue. Many of the pre made gluten free products are full of starch (not whole grain or whole seed).  Starches generally are not healthy as they can have a high glycemic index. Too much and you may find yourself as a prediabetic when you get older. 

Basically the ultimate fast foods are extremely healthy; fruit, nuts, veggies. They also happen to be very safe and washable to remove any gluten traces. 

For meals I like cooking enough for three meals. I cook 2-3 times a week and set back or freeze what i do not use. I then alternate so I eat the same meal after a two or three day break. 

It pays off big to plan your menu in advance so you can have pre thawed meats. This makes prep easier. A person can also make a roast and plan three totally different meals using the left over roast or other things from beans to veggies. For example a pork roast witll be roast the first night, BBQ pork the next night and green chili the third. It pays to think a menu through from one day to the next with a mind toward using leftovers. . Steamed vegetables are quick and a toaster oven will make quick work of roasted vegetables. A fried pork chop with roasted vegetables can be done in thirty minutes if a person gets with it and gets the vegetable in the toaster oven first . 

Generally really high end restaurants serve real food served simply. Great cooking does not require hours and frequently requires minutes if meals are pre planned and given a little forethought. A person can have extraordinary food on a budget. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: