Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten-Free Label Rule To Take Effect, But Its Use Won't Be Mandatory - Los Angeles Times

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,377 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

New York Daily News

Gluten-free label rule to take effect, but its use won't be mandatory
Los Angeles Times
Starting Aug. 5, packaged foods such as Rudi's breads that claim to be gluten free will be encouraged to carry a label with more information. Starting Aug. 5, packaged foods such as Rudi's breads that claim to be gluten free will be encouraged to carry a label ...
Health Column: New gluten-free standards from FDA Glenwood Springs Post Independent
Stop shaming people who follow a gluten-free diet Mother Nature Network (blog)
5 Foods You'd Never Know Were Gluten Free Styleite
Food Processing  - New York Daily News
all 45 news articles »

View the full article

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

"From his perspective, Fasano says, goals that remain are discovering a "safety net" treatment, a complement to a gluten-free diet for people who inadvertently are exposed, and to find a way to prevent the disorder."

Should we band together and buy the man a cape? Green, the color of our ribbon... right?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

"From his perspective, Fasano says, goals that remain are discovering a "safety net" treatment, a complement to a gluten-free diet for people who inadvertently are exposed, and to find a way to prevent the disorder."

Should we band together and buy the man a cape? Green, the color of our ribbon... right?

Yes!!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Georgia_guy

Georgia_guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

I'm slightly confused, what exactly does the new labeling law require??

But on the flip side, "Additionally, gluten-free diets have become "fashionable," ... but also has meant that real medical problems are sometimes treated lightly, Fasano says." <---I love that statement! So true! I don't know how many times in 2 months I have had people say something to me along the lines of "I don't eat much gluten either" like they think I'm on the "fashionable diet"....ummmm....a diet is temporary and by choice, what I'm on is called a "medical neccisity lifestyle to stay healthy".

Been having issues since forever
First issues I can connect to celiac was in middle school
Vit deficiencies, muscle spasms, fatigue 😴😴, migraines 😣😣, abdominal pain, joint pain are most prominent
April 2014- Nutritionist suggested celiac
May 2014- "reverse gluten challenge" © 2014 by "georgia_guy" 😁
28 May 2014- Officlal member of the Silly Yak Club per tests done at private lab out of pocket-have to stand corrected on previos statements, I have now seen the actual results...IgA defficient, IgG was high on both tests
29 May 2014- Start of Gluten Free life!
I am weird and random, and I proudly claim it!
GOOD MORNING Y'ALL! 😁😀😜😛😎😷😋😇😏

#5 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

When I met with my nutritionist last week we were talking about the cavalier attitudes, especially in restaurants, about people that need to be gluten-free.  When I ate at Olive Garden the other day, I told the waitress I needed gluten-free and she said "no croutons, right"...which was good.  The salad arrived with obvious crouton crumbs.  I still wasn't "officially" gluten-free so I didn't say anything, but I won't eat there any more because of that.  I told my nutritionist I'm just going to tell people I have a gluten allergy because allergies people "get", not so much Celiacs and what it does.  She said she also tells people to think of Celiacs as a "peanut allergy" for your intestines. While you don't go into anaphylaxic shock from eating gluten, your intestines do and you need to treat your food like that.  I've explained that to two people so far and it's a bit of a light bulb moment for them when they hear that.

I also fear that with the new labeling requirements that companies will not put on the gluten-free label, even if it is, to prevent lawsuits....

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

I also fear that with the new labeling requirements that companies will not put on the gluten-free label, even if it is, to prevent lawsuits.

This is already the case, and has been for years. The new law may help, because now there is a legal definition of "gluten-free," whereas in the past, it meant whatever the plaintiff's lawyer could convince a jury it meant.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

I was just at the grocery store--thought I was safe with frozen veges--nope,  "May have come in contact with....all of the top 8 allergens"....ok, so cop out CYA or true?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: