This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do I Bother With An Endoscopy?

KristaM

KristaM Newbie

I know nothing about Celiac's. My blood test was 'quite positive' and I have been referred for an endoscopy, but I have no major symptoms and would prefer to go gluten-free instead. Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

An endoscopy is not needed for recovery, and if you are sure that it is celiac disease, then you can skip the endoscopy if you wish - it is a personal decision.

Some like to have the endoscopy so they know their starting point in case they do not improve in a timely manner. I skipped the biopsy because my blood tests were very conclusive and I was prepared to go gluten-free or life based on that. It really is up to you. :)

Good luck!

KristaM Newbie

Thanks! My husband finds it hard to believe that one blood test can test for Celiacs and I'd hate to go gluten free if I didn't need to... But I think I need to talk to my GIM doctor more to weigh my options. Others do say that the blood test pretty much confirms it and her words were that it was "quite positive"

SMRI Collaborator

Which blood tests and what were your numbers though?  I would think that "quite positive" is a done deal though.

LauraTX Rising Star

If you are able to get a copy of the blood test report, we can help you interpret how quite positive it is.  But your doctor is probably correct on that.  If there is any doubt in your mind, get the endoscopy done.  It will help you solidify the diagnosis, and also diagnose how bad the Celiac damage is so you kind of have an idea if it is going to take a long or shorter time to heal up.  If you go gluten-free now and change your mind later, you will have to consume gluten again for the endoscopy to be accurate, so it is best to knock it all out of the way now, and eat through the remaining gluten foods in your pantry.  

KristaM Newbie

TTG Iga Ab: Your Value 41.9, Standard Range <=3.9

Thank you!
Krista

SMRI Collaborator

I guess if it were me and I was not having any symptoms, I would want the endoscope for a baseline just in case there are problems down the road.  They put you under light sedation and it's a fairly quick procedure.  Other than fasting, you do not have to do any prep work for the procedure like you would for a endoscopy.  I'm curious what prompted the testing if you were not having symptoms?  And, like Karen said, if more testing were needed later, going back on gluten is much harder than having the test done now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KristaM Newbie

OK, I'm going to go ahead with the endoscopy. Thanks, everyone!

I guess if it were me and I was not having any symptoms, I would want the endoscope for a baseline just in case there are problems down the road.  They put you under light sedation and it's a fairly quick procedure.  Other than fasting, you do not have to do any prep work for the procedure like you would for a endoscopy.  I'm curious what prompted the testing if you were not having symptoms?  And, like Karen said, if more testing were needed later, going back on gluten is much harder than having the test done now.

BoJonJovi Newbie

I was diagnosed at 53. I thought I had no symptoms until I went gluten free. I then realized I had many issues but gastro issues were not in the mix. 

Archived