8 replies to this topic

#1 KristaM

KristaM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

I know nothing about Celiac's. My blood test was 'quite positive' and I have been referred for an endoscopy, but I have no major symptoms and would prefer to go gluten-free instead. Thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

An endoscopy is not needed for recovery, and if you are sure that it is celiac disease, then you can skip the endoscopy if you wish - it is a personal decision.

Some like to have the endoscopy so they know their starting point in case they do not improve in a timely manner. I skipped the biopsy because my blood tests were very conclusive and I was prepared to go gluten-free or life based on that. It really is up to you. :)

Good luck!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 KristaM

KristaM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Thanks! My husband finds it hard to believe that one blood test can test for Celiacs and I'd hate to go gluten free if I didn't need to... But I think I need to talk to my GIM doctor more to weigh my options. Others do say that the blood test pretty much confirms it and her words were that it was "quite positive"

#4 SMRI

SMRI

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Which blood tests and what were your numbers though?  I would think that "quite positive" is a done deal though.

#5 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

If you are able to get a copy of the blood test report, we can help you interpret how quite positive it is.  But your doctor is probably correct on that.  If there is any doubt in your mind, get the endoscopy done.  It will help you solidify the diagnosis, and also diagnose how bad the Celiac damage is so you kind of have an idea if it is going to take a long or shorter time to heal up.  If you go gluten-free now and change your mind later, you will have to consume gluten again for the endoscopy to be accurate, so it is best to knock it all out of the way now, and eat through the remaining gluten foods in your pantry.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 KristaM

KristaM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

TTG Iga Ab: Your Value 41.9, Standard Range <=3.9

Thank you!
Krista

#7 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

I guess if it were me and I was not having any symptoms, I would want the endoscope for a baseline just in case there are problems down the road.  They put you under light sedation and it's a fairly quick procedure.  Other than fasting, you do not have to do any prep work for the procedure like you would for a endoscopy.  I'm curious what prompted the testing if you were not having symptoms?  And, like Karen said, if more testing were needed later, going back on gluten is much harder than having the test done now.

#8 KristaM

KristaM

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

OK, I'm going to go ahead with the endoscopy. Thanks, everyone!

I guess if it were me and I was not having any symptoms, I would want the endoscope for a baseline just in case there are problems down the road.  They put you under light sedation and it's a fairly quick procedure.  Other than fasting, you do not have to do any prep work for the procedure like you would for a endoscopy.  I'm curious what prompted the testing if you were not having symptoms?  And, like Karen said, if more testing were needed later, going back on gluten is much harder than having the test done now.

#9 BoJonJovi

BoJonJovi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

I was diagnosed at 53. I thought I had no symptoms until I went gluten free. I then realized I had many issues but gastro issues were not in the mix. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: