This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hormones, Hashi's And Celiac- How Does This All Work Together?

icelandgirl

Gemini Experienced

Ignoring FT3 is the sign that you need a new doctor because it is very important. I see you have not been doing this too long so there is much learning for you to do. Also, the relationship between Hashi's and Celiac is pretty strong and anyone diagnosed with either disease needs to be screened for the other. Gluten most certainly is a major irritant to the thyroid, in those with Celiac or gluten sensitivity.

Nicole and Icelandgirl..........nice to see you two are still banging away at making things better. First and foremost, Hashi's needs to be treated going by symptom resolution first. The blood work comes second because not everyone utilizes replacement hormone the same way. This is why I do not go to Endo's...at least from my perspective, I never found one who was worth their salt. I know good ones exist but I have yet to find one. This is why so many older women walk around tired, cold and have problems with weight gain. That is your thyroid talking. Thyroid requires so much patience and stress and other things can affect function.

I know you were happy with your Endo, Icelandgirl, so keep going to him but do not let him lower your dose if you are still having symptoms of low thyroid. Dr. Nicole is very good at this so listening to insight from others with the disease is crucial. Combined, it will give you a clearer picture of which direction to go in. And you are right........managing thyroid disease is much harder than managing Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nvsmom Community Regular

Lol Nicole! I know...that FT3 is really low. I was bummed. The first set of numbers I was on 112. I'm fairly sure my endo will want to reduce my meds not increase them. I really wish that T3 had worked for me. I'm not sure what to think about Armour or anything else with T3 since I had such issues before. Previously he had mentioned going to the compounding pharmacy and having an even smaller dose of T3 made for me. The smallest available is 5 mcg and even cutting it in half was too much for me. But I know that FT3 needs to come up.

Yep.  LOL  Most doctors would see the TSH and start worrying it is too low.  I would want a really good explanation (that I agreed with) if he wantsto lower your dose, or even keep it the same.

You might want to consider Armour.  Maybe it was something in that artificial T3 that didn't agree with you?  When I was on Synthroid there was one dose that made me feel wrong (lips puffed up  and it just wasn't right).  I have no idea what the problem was but it wasn't with the dosage - when I switched the pills to an old pill, but that dose, I was okay.  

Maybe it was just that brand?

The problem with treating FT3 is it changes every day. My Endocrinologist doesn't even bother with it since it's varies so widely.

I have found my TSH is less reliable than my FT3.  My TSH has shown a variation of about 2 in just 10 days. I went from 4.8 to about 6.6, and that was before I was on any meds or diagnosed.  Plus I have had my FT3 be high but my TSH was normal even though I was hyper.  Now my FT3 is good and my TSH is suppressed but I feel okay.

If you don't take your meds before testing, it doesn't affect your result much.

FT3 does work well for many patients.  I'm glad you've found something that works for you.  Feeling better is the main thing.  :)

Dr. Nicole is very good at this so listening to insight from others with the disease is crucial. Combined, it will give you a clearer picture of which direction to go in. And you are right........managing thyroid disease is much harder than managing Celiac.

Dr Nicole...snort. :lol:   I'm turning into a know-it-all.  LOL

I agree ladies, the thyroid is tougher to get in order than celiac disease.

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Gemini and (((hugs)))!!!!  Long time no "see"...hope you've been well. :)

I completely agree with you and Nicole...when I saw my FT3 # had gone down even further and it was already low, I was seriously bummed.  I'm no expert, that's what I rely on you all for...but from what I've read, low FT3 equals fair falling out, being cold and overall feeling cruddy!  I don't need that.  I'm just amazed at how hard it is to get this right and I'm not sure what options I have to get the FT3 raised.

I'm definitely planning on telling the endo about all of my symptoms and he told me the first time that he treats symptoms...so we will see.  Wish me luck!

icelandgirl Proficient

Dr Nicole...snort. :lol:   I'm turning into a know-it-all.  LOL

I agree ladies, the thyroid is tougher to get in order than celiac disease.

I like it.  Dr. Nicole.   :)   

Have you had any issues with Armour?  My endo mentioned not liking Armour, but that he would prescribe it.   I just don't know.  I want to feel good...is that too much to ask??  LOL!

Solandra Rookie

Ignoring FT3 is the sign that you need a new doctor because it is very important. I see you have not been doing this too long so there is much learning for you to do. Also, the relationship between Hashi's and Celiac is pretty strong and anyone diagnosed with either disease needs to be screened for the other. Gluten most certainly is a major irritant to the thyroid, in those with Celiac or gluten sensitivity.

Open Original Shared Link1% Celiac in the general population, 2-4% in the Hashimoto's population. We have 2-4x the chance of having Celiac, but that's sill only 2-4 out of 100 people. I think there's a lot of BS out there promulgated by the "gluten is evil" trendy people that we need to sort out. Gluten isn't an irritant unless you're actually allergic to it.

Gemini Experienced

Hi Icelandgirl!

I am currently at home with an upper respiratory virus......or at least that is what it appears to be because I am feeling too bad to go to my doc and have her tell me that it is a virus and there is nothing I can do but wait it out. I think we all know what happens when you have an infection and I am not having infection symptoms. But I have a headache, cough, laryngitis and am tired. This always seems to happen when my allergies are bothering me for extended periods of time and this year the allergy season has been long. So, I am looking forward to the colder weather because I want the mold spores GONE!!!!!!!! But New England will not see the temperatures the Midwest is suffering with and I am sorry that you guys are freezing out there.

I also needed to take a break from all things Celiac. I have been gluten-free for almost 10 years and needed to feel more normal and not let this dominate my life. I still like helping people but have found that most people who probably have an issue with gluten would rather die than change their diets so I only help those who ask and appreciate whatever I can do for them that helps. After 10 years, it still amazes me that people would rather suffer than find out the truth to their health issues. It has cost me some friends but hey......I will get over it.Why are people so threatened by those who can stick to the gluten-free diet? One of life's great mysteries.

I went on a trip to the UK in September into October and had a great time. Every time I go things are easier for us. But some questions for my British friends here on the forum......I am still trying to figure out why I did not react to dairy over there. I cannot eat dairy here in the States and I buy happy cow organic milk. We are talking that lovely 4% milk fat milk you can get in every store in Britain! I ate caramel flan, had gluten-free sauces with dairy and nada.......nothing. In fact, my gut felt better than it does here and I do not have any issues here......as long as I do not eat too much dairy. I can tolerate some cheeses and putting milk in my tea but that's it. I will say this......the food is better quality in Europe, no GMO's, and many foods come from local farms so I am so bummed to come home because I miss my delicious food. I ate out every night for dinner in carefully selected restaurants and never, ever got remotely sick once. I was taken seriously and not treated like a fad diner. Totally different than here in the States and I have come to the conclusion that the US is food stupid, generally speaking. Not us Celiac's, of course, but even the 20 year old waitstaff knew what was in the food I was ordering and were very good at making sure I did not eat something I shouldn't. I could retire there in the Lakes District!

Then there was the gluten-free bread. OMG!!!!!!! You guys have much better bread than we do here....hands down! It was all freshly made and not kept in the freezer section. Those Warburton's wraps were incredible. Soft, delicious wraps and I never got sick. The wraps here are gross. Stiff and sure to crack if you roll them too much. UGH! You can get gluten-free sandwiches in Starbucks's, which are made off site and all pre-packaged, to avoid cc. Ditto for Nero's coffee house. I actually had to check a couple of times and ask to make sure the bread was gluten-free because it was so soft and delicious and looked like gluten bread. Does that ever happen here? NOPE! So, I am jealous and miss the great food I had and wish I could have it shipped here but the cost is prohibitive. I am not much a bread eater here but if we had bread like they do in England, all of us would be bread hounds again. If anyone is planning a trip, I can suggest some fabulous restaurants in the Lakes District and London where you can dine safely. The real irony of it all is that I was glutened the day before we were to leave by a Wendy's salad....which I have eaten a couple of times with no problems. Cross them off my list! It screwed me up for the first 3 days but I persevered and had a good time after that. Why does it have to be so hard here? The US is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries in the world but not from a food perspective. My hats off to the British for getting it right and don't change anything with your food..........job well done! Since I have been home, I have been crazy busy at work and with my father, who is suffering from undiagnosed Celiac dementia. I won't go into how stupid my family is over that because I have cried enough about it. When you have no control over what other's eat, there is nothing you can do. And now Thanksgiving and Christmas are fast approaching so I will come on here again but until the holidays are over, it might not be as often as I would like. I am sure we will all be busy in the coming weeks!

I will add one more thing and then stop before you snooze off......my reactions when glutened have changed to more neuro stuff as opposed to the severe gastric episodes I used to have. Maybe my gut has healed to the point where it can handle a random gluten hit? I don't know but the neuro stuff is no walk in the park. Horrible. Never had anxiety before in my life but it was like a wave and with all the BS that is going on in the Middle East with those ISIS morons, I almost didn't get on the plane. That stuff has never affected me from a travel point of view but I was having major anxiety for 3 days. So, I would say that if any of you notice a change in your reactions, over time, you are not crazy because it is happening to me.

Thinking of all those people out there with anxiety issues who are just being dumped on meds instead of looking at diet is something to think about.

And Nicole.......you are a know-it-all in the best way possible! Thyroid is one of those diseases that you have to learn as much as you can about because otherwise.......you could end up with a doctor who will not help you. Symptoms matter.

icelandgirl Proficient

It's so good to hear from you Gemini.  I really hope that today has you feeling better than yesterday.  I know that you and I share a dislike of going to the Dr.  And before I forget...if you ever decide to leave celiac.com...please leave a way to contact you!  You have been such a kind and invaluable resource for me.  Thanks   :)  :)  :)  :)

It's so beyond cold.  Bitter, bitter cold.  When we left for school today it was -1.  I'm freezing all the time already...this isn't helping.  LOL

I've been to London twice and loved it so much.  Hearing your food experiences makes me want to go back so bad.  I can't even imagine bread like that.  Yum!  I still can't find a bread here that my family likes.

I haven't been glutened since March (yeah) but it's always been severe gastro.  Interesting to hear that your switched to neuro.  I'm sorry to hear how it affected you, especially when you're flying internationally.  Ugh.

Keep taking good care of yourself...hope you're feeling better..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Icelandgirl........I will PM you my e-mail address. Not a problem!

Still feel the same........viruses are so crappy. Nothing you can do but wait. if I drink anymore water, I will turn into a camel.

You will return to London. When you feel better, down the road. I highly recommend it. I'll tell you my favorite places to eat. So many restaurants do gluten-free menus and they are much broader than the ones you see here. They do sauces. I miss that.

Stay warm! I am so sorry it is so cold. I do not mind the cold but -1 is ridiculous! We are supposed to get snow showers tomorrow, which I will welcome because mold goes dormant with snow and colder temps. It's about time!

nvsmom Community Regular

Have you had any issues with Armour?  My endo mentioned not liking Armour, but that he would prescribe it.   I just don't know.  I want to feel good...is that too much to ask??  LOL!

I take Erfa's Thyroid, its the Canadian equivalent of Armour. I take 150mcg per day.  When he first switched me to Thyroid it was a bit high, and I was hyper for a couple of weeks, but it hasn't disagreed with my system in any noticeable way.  Oh no wait, I had a bunch of hair loss when I switched from Synthroid to Thyroid, but I also had significant hair loss when I first started Synthroid - I think my hair doesn't like change.  LOL

You guys are making my mouth water with talk of the food in Europe.... Yummy.  I think Canada is a tad better than the US with food (our labeling laws are nicer to celiacs) but it sounds like we are far behind the British!  Your trip sounded wonderful, Gemini.

It's expected to go down to -21C again tonight.  -1 is sweatshirt weather here.  LOL ;)  But we're really dry here so the cold doesn't go through your bones like it does in the wetter climates, thank goodness.

• 2 months later...
icelandgirl Proficient

I'm so frustrated with thyroid stuff...just got my lab results from last week.

TSH 2.62 (.45-4.5)

Free T3 1.8 (2.0-4.4)

Free T4 1.34 (.82-1.77)

The only thing that's been changed is that in November my endo switched me to brand name Levoxyl instead of generic. I don't understand why my free T3 is going down. In August it was at 2.2, in November it was 2.1 and now it's at 1.8. It seems like my body isn't converting T4 to T3 correctly. No clue why...but no wonder I'm still tired and my hair is for falling out.

Any thoughts? Anything I can do to help it? I see my endo next week. I put my last 6 months into a spreadsheet so that he can see everything all together. I want to feel better. I know that he is willing to go to the compounding pharmacy to get a T4 with just a little T3 added...maybe starting with 1 mcg, since I couldn't tolerate 5 or 2.5.

As always...any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for letting me vent about my thyroid...again.

nvsmom Community Regular

:( Ah geez. Thyroid problems suck.  They take WAY to long to sort out.  I'm sorry your numbers are not what they should be. Don't bang your head against the wall too long.

I think you need some T3 too.  My T3 stayed quite low even when I was getting up to a full replacement dose of levothyroxin, but when I switched to NDT (granted too much) it shot above the normal limit then settled into a happier place. Try some sort of T3... T4 just isn't doing it for you.

At the very least, you can up your T4 dosage.  Your FT4 is right around the middle of the normal range so that could be moved up with a higher dose.  I wouldn't worry about that if you are adding T3.  Since your T4 could move up, I expect they would just add some T3 on top of that. Is that to dosing plan?

Could you just have a T3 pill rather than get it compounded? Was it Cytomel you tried earlier?  I can't remember...

The NDTs out there are quite good.  The so-called reliability issues that doctors like to mention with Armour took place a LOT of years ago.  It is just as good as any other medicine... IMHO... and from what I've read.  All that being said, I still had to doctor shop, for quite a while, before I found a doctor who liked Armour - it's weird

icelandgirl Proficient

Thanks Dr Nicole!

Thyroid problems stink!

Previously we did generic cytomel. First 5 mcg, then 2.5...by cutting it in half. With both I had this uncomfortable chest tightness and D. They don't make a smaller dose than 5 therefore the compounding pharmacy thought. Obviously my body doesn't convert from T4 to T3 as it should so I agree I need some T3. I don't feel good. I felt better when I was at a TSH of 1.3 and a free T3 of 2.1 than I do now.

My endo doesn't like Armour...but I can't remember why now. We talked about it months ago. To be honest, I'm almost afraid of switching as my body reacts very strongly to any medication. But I do feel like I need to try something!

Gemini Experienced

Hello Ladies!

Icelandgirl....you are having the same problem I have had off and on during my low thyroid life.  It's my T3 which seems to be less than co-operative too.  I don't think I am a good converter. In fact, I need another blood draw soon because I haven't had my thyroid checked in about 6 months and I am guessing that it is on the lowish side. A girl just knows these things!

I would agree with Nicole that maybe it's time to add a sprinkling of T3 in compounded form. That way, you can start off really small. (1 mcg.)  What Dr. Nicole said......

At the very least, you can up your T4 dosage.  Your FT4 is right around the middle of the normal range so that could be moved up with a higher dose.  I wouldn't worry about that if you are adding T3.  Since your T4 could move up, I expect they would just add some T3 on top of that. Is that to dosing plan?

I use Nature-throid natural dessicated thyroid hormone and it contains both hormones.  I have yet to become hyper from it.  I am on a screwy dose right now, trying to get some consistency in my results.  130 mcg for 2 days and then every 3rd day 114 mcg.  When I was on Levoxyl alone, I went seriously hyper when they tried to play with dosage. Then it would swing.  Go figure.  I will only use natural dessicated hormone because my body clearly doesn't like Levoxyl. I don't know how you take your hormone but with Nature-throid, it contains cellulose and it needs to be broken up in your mouth before swallowing to enhance absorption.  I like that because it is immediate...like sublingual.  Then I don't have to wait a full hour before eating, just a half hour.  But I think for anyone who is absorption challenged like us, doing it this way is better.

I still have moments where my numbers are a bit lower than I like and I feel it.  But the past year was stress bad for me and I think it has affected my thyroid. My PCP was concerned that my osteoporosis did not improve, although I have stabilized it with exercise and it has not gotten any worse. She thinks I am taking too much hormone but I do not agree at all.  I have zero hyper symptoms and when I cut my dose down any further, I become symptomatic (in your face) for hypo. She is a good doctor but has some old school ideas still floating around in her head.  ;)  Thyroid dosing beliefs still have a long way to go.....they are entrenched.  I am post menopausal by 10 years now and weigh 112 pounds.  Really?  Try building bone with those issues.  :blink:  But I got muscle now so cannot let this rule my life.  I do not want to walk around feeling tired with my nails splitting and broken off because they think my bones are at risk. You would have to be walking around with hyper symptoms all the time to whittle your bones away from thyroid mismanagement. I am not sure I lost bone anyway....I am convinced, from symptoms and illnesses as a young child, I triggered for Celiac at a very young age. So.....I really think I just didn't develop good bone mass from the get go.

You are getting closer but, like me, are going through periods where management is close but no cigar.  So many things can affect your thyroid, including stress and emotional crap.  But I would start with that sprinkle of tiny T3 and see what happens. I never met a compounded hormone that didn't agree with me.

Good luck and do not let it drive you crazy.....you'll get there.  ;)

nvsmom Community Regular

You know, my lifelong C finally cleared up when I started Erfa's Thyroid (Canadian made NDT, very similar to Armour, which I take).  Perhaps if I had not been staring from C, I would have ended up with D too.  To be honest, I still flip back and forth between a small bit of C, normal and D, a few times a week basedon what I've eaten - D shows up more now in a month than it did before in my first 35 years.  LOL

Some doctors believe the T3 dosage of Armour is too high in relation to what humans need, and it often is if you try to keep the T4 levels at what you would need.  Most people go for the ideal T3 dose and ignore the T4 level, maybe going a bit lower in T3 if you are converting T4 to T3 well...

I take five 30 mg tablets of Thyroid per day, for a total of 150mg.  For T4 that's 18mcg X 5 = 90mcg T4 per day.  For T3 that's 4mcg X 5 = 20mcg T3 per day.  I take a ratio of 9:2 (T4:T3) each day, which is close to 5:1 (and makes a TSH close to 0).  A healthy thyroid has about a 13:1 (T4:T3) ratio.  T4/T3 meds are administered anywhere between 20:1 to 1:1.  Open Original Shared Link

The full replacement dose of Synthroid (which was basically at 2 years ago) is 1.7mcg/kg/day.  I am (unfortunately) near 80kg so my Synthroid (T4) dose would be 136 mcg.  When I finally gave up on Synthroid I think I was taking 150mcg of Synthroid.  If my body was converting it to T3 well, and I had a 13:1 ratio, this should have created the equivalent of 11.5 mcg of T3 in my body (lot less than the 20mcg of T3 I'm taking).

I'm babbling to point out that (for me) taking higher than (supposedly) needed T3 but lower than needed T4 can work.  But that is just me. ;)  LOL

If you do try Armour, I think the ratio was 38:9 (or just over 4:1) for T4:T3.  If you are worried about too much T3, then start a bit low.  

Man I babbled again.  LOL  I shouldn't go on and on about this when I have been lazy about staying on top of my thyroid health.  I haven't been checked in about a year.   :rolleyes:

Edited to add that I chew my Thyroid tablets like Dr Gemini. I'm assuming it helps... tastes kinda gross though. ;)

Gemini Experienced

Edited to add that I chew my Thyroid tablets like Dr Gemini. I'm assuming it helps... tastes kinda gross though. ;)

Not if you swig it down with a freshly brewed cup of joe!  :)

Thanks for this article, Nicole!  You never fail to impress me with your knowledge and quest to find a better way to manage your thyroid well.  But I agree......I have been lax the past 6 months because, sometimes, you get sick of chasing that animal down the path.  In fact, I have been so bad with the Celiac antibodies also. Haven't had them done in 4 years.  :o  I follow the diet to a tee and never cheat and rarely eat out, except when on vacation and that only happens every 3 years or so. But I have a blood draw coming up next week and they will be taking so many vials, I think it will be the equivalent of a blood donation. Time to get caught up...... :lol:

icelandgirl Proficient

Thank you ladies!

This is why I prefer to go to the medical offices of Dr's Nic and Gem...they are so helpful, knowledgeable and kind.

I actually went hyper a few months ago and didn't like it. My TSH was .72, but my hands were shaking constantly...could not hold a book still enough to read it...my anxiety went way up and I had a hard time sleeping. But now in the high 2's I feel hypo. I definitely felt better in the low to mid 1's. Right now my hair is awful, my nails are peeling and cracking, I'm so tired. Don't I sound attractive?

6 days until my appointment...looking forward to something changing.

Thanks again docs!

nvsmom Community Regular

Not if you swig it down with a freshly brewed cup of joe!  :)

Thanks for this article, Nicole!  You never fail to impress me with your knowledge and quest to find a better way to manage your thyroid well.  But I agree......I have been lax the past 6 months because, sometimes, you get sick of chasing that animal down the path.  In fact, I have been so bad with the Celiac antibodies also. Haven't had them done in 4 years.  :o  I follow the diet to a tee and never cheat and rarely eat out, except when on vacation and that only happens every 3 years or so. But I have a blood draw coming up next week and they will be taking so many vials, I think it will be the equivalent of a blood donation. Time to get caught up...... :lol:

Ahhh. Why didn't I think of that?  I guess because I'm not really thinking before my first cup.   ;) LOL

Just think, 150 years ago they would have been applying leeches to drain the bad humours in your body.  The blood draw has got to be less... maybe.  Just in case, bring a cookie (or three) with you so you don't feel faint.   ;)

I actually went hyper a few months ago and didn't like it. My TSH was .72, but my hands were shaking constantly...could not hold a book still enough to read it...my anxiety went way up and I had a hard time sleeping. But now in the high 2's I feel hypo. I definitely felt better in the low to mid 1's. Right now my hair is awful, my nails are peeling and cracking, I'm so tired. Don't I sound attractive?

I just went through a round of hair loss again.  I hate that.  Blech.  And I have no idea why...

I've warned my hubby that if it gets bad I am shaving my head.  I don't want to be one of those old ladies with fuzz all over their scalp.  When I'm 65, I can make bald seem edgy, right? Right?   ;)

Good luck next week!!  :)

Gemini Experienced
I just went through a round of hair loss again.  I hate that.  Blech.  And I have no idea why...

I've warned my hubby that if it gets bad I am shaving my head.  I don't want to be one of those old ladies with fuzz all over their scalp.  When I'm 65, I can make bald seem edgy, right? Right?   ;)

Good luck next week!!   :)

Why not?  It worked for Sinead O'Connor, didn't it?  I think she would define edgy pretty well...... :lol:

Gemini Experienced

Thank you ladies!

This is why I prefer to go to the medical offices of Dr's Nic and Gem...they are so helpful, knowledgeable and kind.

6 days until my appointment...looking forward to something changing.

Thanks again docs!

It is so funny how we all react differently to different blood levels and this is why you cannot treat thyroid patients all the same.  I kept my TSH at around .01 for a long time (yes, you read that right) and never went hyper and never felt hyper. I went hyper when I started to heal and the dose I was taking was way too high.

I totally supressed my TSH and went by my hormone levels only and those were optimal with my TSH at this low level. Kind of mind blowing, isn't it?  I had to suppress that feedback loop because I couldn't get my thyroid under good control until I cut the pituitary OUT.  I still think the TSH test is a joke and refer to it as a pituitary test...which it is.  Not a good thing to rely on solely for taking thyroid hormone....but you already know that because it's the first thing Nicole and I will drum into someone's head.  I tend to feel hypo now when my TSH climbs beyond a 1 and if it hits 2, then my nails start peeling and splitting, when normally they are strong and look great. Forget about getting out of bed in the morning.......my husband practically has to tip the mattress and dump me off! I really hate that....... <_<

Looking forward to hearing about your appointment.  Really.....thyroid is more work than celiac but balance can be achieved.  Patience, patience.........

nvsmom Community Regular

My last TSH was about a 0.01 too.  Most doctors get pretty freaked out at that.  LOL  :rolleyes:

Gemini Experienced

Yes, they do! 'Splain to me then how my actual thyroid levels were good with my TSH at that low level?????????

icelandgirl Proficient

2 more days until my appointment. My nails are continuing to break and split. I feel like if my TSH were suppressed that my endo would spaz out. What about it scares Dr's if you actually feel good?

Gemini Experienced

They insist that if your TSH is too low, then you are at risk for osteoporosis because too much thyroid hormone will thin the bones.  The problem is that the studies that have been done that I could find were done on elderly patients in a nursing home in Sweden somewhere and for the most part, these patients were bedridden.  Not good case studies for comparing to younger people who are active. 

I am sure that overuse of thyroid hormone will thin your bones but I would think that if you were taking enough to cause bone thinning, you would be having hyper symptoms.  My thyroid hormone levels were actually good when my TSH was really low.  I do not have ANY hyper symptoms at all and if I try to reduce my dosage, even by small amounts, I start becoming hypo and the nails start splitting and breaking and forget about getting me out of bed to go to work.  I feel like I am waking from a coma when my numbers start to tank. Is that how I am supposed to go through life?  :o  I just do not think enough studies have been done so we are the guinea pigs, I guess.

I am not willing to drag through life so I can have stellar bone density.

icelandgirl Proficient

That makes a lot of sense Gemini...thanks.

Totally dreading my appointment tomorrow. But he won't be able to deny that my free t3 is too low now that it is actually out of the normal range. I'm going to show him my sad peeling nails, my dry hair and skin...my cold as ice hands. He told me at the first appointment that he treats to symptoms so all of that should lead to something. And then on to the 6 week at a time waiting game, hoping things improve.

Gemini Experienced

No dreading allowed.....and I should be the last person to say that!  ;)   You have classic, textbook symptoms of low thyroid so your doctor is going to have to think hard

on solutions.  Some of us are more difficult to treat and you still have the Celiac healing thing going on.  That means there is still inflammation getting in the way of recovery and stability but it will all get better as time goes on......you know that.  It's getting things somewhat stable for this period of time that can be challenging.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes....... :)

Archived