This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could It Be Celiac?

HOLM3z

HOLM3z Newbie

Hi guys at about the beginning of February this year I felt a really bad bout of nausea that I never really felt before, had to leave my lecture and get to a toilet to splash water on my face. Never actually got sick but was retching. Since that I have had bouts of diarrhoea and constipation, diarrhoea being more prevalent. My stomach would also ache a lot and during the first month of this I lost a stone in weight. Had no appetite whatsoever and felt sick when eating. That has eased up somewhat now. I do however now get very bloated when eating and very gassy and I would suffer from bad indigestion a lot. I also developed a bit of anxiety from this as I was constantly worrying about my stomach. I have also found now that I am very sensitive to stress and would feel fatigued a lot. This is one of the worst parts as before I was very calm and confident guy a lot of the time. I remember even before all this I would have had symptoms, the year before I started getting really bad acid reflux and that lasted a month. Year before that I had a bout of migraines everyday day for a month and sinus issues. I have also always been very prone to catching colds and flus and getting sinus infections and would always be sneezing. I notice now as well I am getting bad mouth ulcers which I never used to get as bad. In terms of family there isn't a history that I know of of celiac. On my mothers side there is a history of diabetes in a few family members. My dad as well would have always used a lot of antacids all the time. If you guys could let me know what you think that would be great. Thanks a lot!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

It could be celiac disease. Your symptoms would match up.

Your family's diabetes, is it type 2 or type 1?  Type 1 is the one that links to celiac disease; thype 2 (adult onset) is unrelated to celiac disease.

You might as well get tested to be sure, and then if the tests come back negative you could try the gluten-free diet to see if it is non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) which has the same symptoms.  Just do NOT stop eating gluten before you get tested.

Ask for these tests:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG

EMA IgA

total serum IgA (control test)

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less reliable tests that are often skipped)

You could also have the endoscopic biopsy done.

Good luck!

HOLM3z Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I think it is type 2 in the ones that I know of but as far as I know a few members a lot of them had diabetes and I'm not too sure what type it could have been. I have already got bloods taken for celiac and am waiting for results. Am on day 2 of gluten free diet now to see how it goes!

nvsmom Community Regular

Good luck.  :)

If you need any help interpreting the tests, or just double checking what the doctor says, feel free to share it here. Some around here know more than some doctors.  ;)  Make sure you get copies of thoses tests - don't accept the doctor's word on the results without proof - they can make mistakes too.

Archived