This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Is There Any Difference Between Tortilla Wraps And Those Of A Similar Nature, And Sliced 'normal' Bread?

Richard-b

Richard-b Newbie

Hi everyone!

Is there any real difference in the ingredients of tortilla wraps and those of a similar nature, and sliced 'normal' bread?

I ask this because I have noticed that the last few times I've had these types of wraps or Arabic bread or something of a similar nature, I don't get the same sensation when I swallow  as I do when I have 'normal' sliced bread, and also don't feel bloated afterwards. When I have 'normal' bread I get a strange sensation of it almost getting stuck in my throat and often get bloated when I have a couple of slices.

I had a blood test for gluten intolerance a few months ago and the tests came back indicating I didn't have an intolerance...

Thanks everybody  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Are you asking what is the difference between gluten bread and corn tortillas?  Corn tortillas are usually gluten free.

GF Lover Rising Star

If your asking about glutenous bread....well, this is a Forum for Celiac and NCGI so we DON'T eat it.

Richard-b Newbie

gluten-free Lover, I know this is a celiac forum, and I know that people with celiac disease don't eat gluten...

But I thought this would be a good place to ask a more general question related to gluten/wheat sensitivity. I'm asking if there is any difference in the ingredients of wraps such as tortillas and sliced bread, to try to come to an answer of why I don't seem to have the same reaction to the former as I do to the latter. I know that tortillas/wraps have wheat/gluten, hence my confusion of why I don't get the same reaction to them as I do to 'normal' wheat-based sliced bread. 

I'm just trying to get some clarity, that's all...

Thanks

kareng Grand Master

gluten-free Lover, I know this is a celiac forum, and I know that people with celiac disease don't eat gluten...

But I thought this would be a good place to ask a more general question related to gluten/wheat sensitivity. I'm asking if there is any difference in the ingredients of wraps such as tortillas and sliced bread, to try to come to an answer of why I don't seem to have the same reaction to the former as I do to the latter. I know that tortillas/wraps have wheat/gluten, hence my confusion of why I don't get the same reaction to them as I do to 'normal' wheat-based sliced bread. 

Thanks

I think what we are saying is - we don't eat these things, so we wouldn't really even know the ingredients.  Perhaps there is something in bread that bothers you that is not in the wraps?  maybe yeast?  

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks

Regular breads have yeast in them. Tortillas do not. Perhaps you have a yeast issue?  You could try a quick bread which uses baking soda or powder and see if you get the same problem as with regular wheat loaves.

mommida Enthusiast

Richard,

You are experiencing dysphagia.  You should see a doctor to find out why, before it becomes life threatening.  In some cases, emergency dilation is needed.

If you search Eosinophilic Esophagitus, you will have an overview of esophagus damage associated with dysphagia.  There is a known link between Celiac and EE.  Both are auto-immune disease with a "trigger".

Many posters here avoid different foods and if you post the ingredients, we can offer more advice.  Corn tortillas are gluten free and also yeast free, egg free, most likely dairy free. We need to know what else you are eating with the tortilla versus bread scenario.

I suggest you keep a food journal to track your food intake and symptoms.  and..... DO NOT change your diet before getting tested for any auto-immune "trigger" disorder.

Another tip... The top 8 allergen list earned the positions because the protein chains tend to be the most complex for human digestion.  So really pay attention to those ingredients.

fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts ( legume family), and nuts

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Richard-b Newbie

Thank you very much for all the helpful answers.

Mommida, I really appreciate your concern, but I don't think I have dysphagia. It's not as serious as that. It's not that I feel the food is stuck, or that I cough when swallowing food, or that I bring food back up. It is more of a sensation when I swallow food such as bread, where the food seems to struggle to 'get down', for lack of a better term, than when, for example, I eat an apple, or in this case, a tortilla wrap. 

I've looked and it seems that the difference in the ingredients of the products is the yeast and soya flour which the sliced bread contains, but not the tortilla wrap. Now I don't think the problem is yeast. I had some dried fruit and cheese before, and don't seem to get the same sensation as I do with the bread (and with most food containing gluten). Therefore, maybe the problem is soy/soya, but I will need to get some soy-based food to try it out. I'm also going to try some couscous later too which does not have any yeast or soy, but obviously wheat.

It is really hard to pin down what it could be. Maybe it's just a simple fact that I don't swallow or digest certain foods very well (mostly ones with gluten and/or yeast). 

It isn't like I get serious symptoms as some people do. I do often feel bloated and have abdominal discomfort, and this strange swallowing sensation too, but maybe I just have a slight sensitivity to certain food. I also often feel tired after ingesting gluten-containing food. But, I don't have skin rashes or vomit or anything of that sort. 

I also had a blood test as I mentioned before and it came back as negative.

It's confusing haha

Richard-b Newbie

Oh and here are the two products  :)

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

I'm not sure why eating fruit and cheese means that yeast used in baking doesn't bother you?

Look - I really have to wonder. Would you go on a peanut allergy site and ask " I do fine with peanuts but when I eat Peanut butter I feel bloated. What do you think it is?" It seems odd to me that you want us, people who cannot eat wheat at all, to look at all the things you can eat and we can't. A few of us tried to help by suggesting a few things - mainly that you see what ingredients are in the product that bothers but not in the one that doesn't. Then experiment and see if those might be your issue.

A lot of us are a bit sensitive to people coming on and " flaunting " the foods they can eat but we can't. Maybe that will explain where I am coming from?

If you would like help with info about testing for Celiac or dealing with it, we are happy to help. Looking for info on gluten-free products or recipes? We love to help. But it's very hard for us to evaluate wheat filled baked goods. :)

Richard-b Newbie

I ate them because I thought if I have a sensitivity to yeast, I would have sensitivity to dried fruit and cheese.

Listen, if you seriously think I came on here to 'flaunt' the food I can eat and you can't, then you are seriously mistaken. Do you really think I would be so disregarding and cruel to do that? That is not the point of this post.

And as you saw by my previous post, I have taken on the advice of people by looking at the ingredients and have seen which ingredients may be causing the problem.

I posted on here because of my confusion of having reactions to one wheat product and not to another which contained wheat. As people on here are no doubt well versed in gluten, food allergies and the like, I thought you may have some advice as to what the problem may well be, or what I may be reacting to. 

Look if there was a topic I was extremely knowledgeable about, and somebody asked a question that was even ever so slightly related to it, I would be more than willing to help or answer.

I understand that to a couple of you, for some reason, I have caused offence and I'm sorry for that. I now know to not ask a question on here which is not directly related to gluten intolerance again.

Thanks 

kareng Grand Master

I am glad that you didn't come on here to make fun of us. Sometimes people do. I thought you should know what some of us were wondering.

So.. Cheese and fruit do not contain baking yeast. I do know people who can have wheat but not baking yeast. So they can eat flour tortillas or pasta or banana bread - that don't contain baking yeast.

Edited to add this disclaimer: the people I am talking about eating flour tortillas are, obviously, not Celiacs.

Archived