35 replies to this topic

#1 klk9100

klk9100

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hello, I am new here and looking to see if any other celiac's have had a similar experience. 

About 2 months ago after taking an Aleve, I had an allergic reaction where my mouth felt like it was on fire, I started itching, etc. I Took some benedryl and the issue somewhat subsided, however, I still have a sore throat and trouble swallowing. Have also developed neuro-type symptoms (tingling, pins and needles) in arms, legs, hands, and feet. Muscle pain is also bad and I feel weak as if i have the flu. i did have chest pain, but that has subsided.

I have been to my primary care physician 3 times, and after ensuring it wasn't a blod clot, she referred me to an ENT. The ENT stuck something down my throat where he could see that I had mild relfux, and which prompted him to test for food allergies. Up to this point I didn't have any food allergies, only gluten intolerance. 

The allergy tests came back positive for about 20 different foods, including all of the grains I am used to eating as a celiac (corn, soy, rice,) and the celiac grains came back positive too (bakers yeast, wheat, rye,barley, oats). Also, lots of nuts, fruits and vegetables came back positive (hazelnuts, peanuts, almonds, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, apples, peaches, bananas, kiwi, pineapple, white potatoes, etc.

The doctor was surprised that so many things came back positive, and is having me do skin-prick testing for inhalant allergies soon because he believes that often there is an underlying allergy that causes multiple other issues. I have remained gluten-free, so I'm not sure that celiac would be causing all of this. I have been celiac for 10 years and have never experienced anything like this.

I am starting to think that there might be something else underlying that could be causing all of this as well. I am frustrated because my diet is so severely limited at this point, and because I feel like I am reacting to foods not on my allergy list, and am not getting any better despite removing those foods.

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Concentrate on some new foods.  I discovered problems with 49 of 60 foods that I ate regularly.  Now I avoid them all and am thinking it is doing good.  You can look up new meats, vegetables and fruits in Wicopedia or something.  I found that many  of the vegetables listed I had never heard of.  Now, all I have to do is find them at the store!  I have found some, planted others in my garden, and am searching odd grocery stores I find for others.

Proteins I have tried:  elk, lamb, trout, yak, bison (any you tested negative for)  I have eggs and pork.

Vegetables that are working:  swiss chard, spinach, kale (yum kale chips!) collard greens, kohlrabi, turnips

Fruits I tolerate:  Bananas, strawberries grown without  wheat mulch.  kiwi,

Other:  coconut milk, hemp seeds  (if You have any nuts, you can make bread with the flour)

Many natural health caregivers that I have read information from or talk with in person   figure that celiac damages your gut. (Leaky Gut) Substances that should stay in the GI tract escape it and the body learns to treat them as foreign invaders.  Once the body decides to make antibodies to that food, it sounds the alarm each time  contact is made with it. 

You likely will feel so much better when you avoid allergens that your life will get easier rather than harder.  Mine does, but I still am adjusting.

Dee

#3 sweetsailing

sweetsailing

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ugghh...I am right there with you.  I thought I was going to be good with gluten free and at first I felt great eating gluten free and then at about 6 - 7 months of being gluten free, I seem to have triggered multiple food allergies.  I don't know that I have figured them all out yet.  However, I know I am reacting to bananas (can't eat raw or cooked), tomatoes (seem to be able to eat cooked but not raw), avacodos, cucumbers, peppers (raw).

I just made some yummy zucchini bread (gluten free of course) and the recipe called for 1 mashed banana.  First time I tried to eat a cooked banana after I know I was reacting to raw bananas.  One bite is all it took for my mouth and throat to start burning.  Now I have a whole yummy loaf of zucchini bread that I can't eat  :(  

Diagnosed Oct 2013 - Double DQ 2 (2.5 and 2.2)

Gluten Free Since April 2013, June 2013, and finally strictly gluten free since Oct 14th 2013 (Ok, it took a few tries to finally realize gluten was my issue)

Mustard Allergy

Osteopenia

#4 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Does anyone know why this happens? I'm fairly sure that I am having issues with different things now too. It's annoying number one because I continue to feel bad and number two because I feel like I'm running out of things to eat!

For me I get GI symptoms...bloating or D. So far I did 2 weeks without dairy and soy...didn't really notice a difference. But had some tea where an ingredient was soy lecithin and got a massive headache. And soy is in everything. I also had a dinner that was a little heavy on balsamic vinegar and wounded up with a runny nose and itchy mouth and nose. It was weird. So...I'm avoiding those things...but I'm still having some GI issues...wondering what I will have to give up next.
January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

#5 klk9100

klk9100

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

I went to the allergist today and the confirmed I have horrible inhalant allergies too. They said that this could be causing the food allergies? I itch whenever i eat anything just about. doesn't matter what it is. I can only eat meat without itching. Anyways… got rx'd for singular, zyrtec otc, and an inhaler with a steroid in it. these should supposedly help my seasonal allergies calm down so that i can tolerate some of my lesser food allergies, maybe. These are all Ige-type allergies. 

i feel sorry for everyone else who has this issue too. What the heck are we supposed to eat! I almost am starting to feel like I took "just being celiac" for granted. (heh). 

I'm starting to look into leaky gut, as i have considered that i might have an issue with that for a while. Also looking into salicylate intolerance to see if that has anything to do with it. I will post if i find out anything useful. I was hoping someone would have figured out what causes this :( :( 

#6 Celiac Ninja

Celiac Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:00 AM

Ditto only fast forward several years. I'm allergic to nearly everything, according to a naturopath, I plan on getting a poke test for allergies on my back. I'm sure that will entertain the nurses as I swell up and look like the hunchback of Notre dome.

I'm right there with ya for the layering of allergies and symptoms. It's as if my whole cellular structure has revolted. I'm putting a tiny bit of progesterone cream on each day now since I've hit menopausal symptoms again. Not an enjoyable rollercoaster. :S :P

So I'll keep praying for healing, answers, peace, etc. De-stress as much as you can each day. It seems stress for me triggers a lot of the allergic reactions, as if my immune system has PTSD.

#7 sweetsailing

sweetsailing

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Iceland girl - As far as I have been able to research and determine it sounds like most celiacs have leaky gut issues caused by the celiac disease.  Others without celiac disease can get leaky gut too, like small instestine bacterial overgrowth.  When you have a leaky gut, large molecules are able to pass through the gut that ordinarily would not be able to.  The body sees these molecules as foriegn and mounts an immune response to these foriegn molecules.  Unfortunately for us, these foreign molecules are things like bananas, tomatoes, fruits, vegetables, advil, etc.  Basically anything we put in our mouths would be fair game. 

It is a real bummer however because you don't know what to eat any more. 

Diagnosed Oct 2013 - Double DQ 2 (2.5 and 2.2)

Gluten Free Since April 2013, June 2013, and finally strictly gluten free since Oct 14th 2013 (Ok, it took a few tries to finally realize gluten was my issue)

Mustard Allergy

Osteopenia

#8 klk9100

klk9100

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

i am starting to consider leaky gut … i guess this is apparently the cause of histamine issues and ultimately most allergy issues. although my diet is already pretty severe i guess i will attempt to go on a leaky gut diet for a while just to see if my symptoms improve….(and take the allergy meds prescribed)  UGH! I always thought "leaky gut" would present with gastro issues. but i guess it doesn't have to! I thought after i had a handle on celiac for 10 yrs that I would be done with all of this stuff( and wouldn't be susceptible to a leaky gut…))…HERE WE GO AGAIN! :)

#9 klk9100

klk9100

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

** update**

went through ski allergy testing. the results came back somewhat different than the blood test. i am starting a new elimination diet to see if i can find the allergen(s). I'm putting money on corn. Does anyone know if celiacs are more likely to have other food allergies to certain things specifically??

#10 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

Just so you are aware the both skin and blood testing by an allergist have a 50% false positive rate.

#11 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:38 AM

Yep, it's my understanding that it's best not to test for an allergy unless you've had a clear reaction to that particular food. The false positives can lead to lots of unnecessary dietary restriction.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#12 klk9100

klk9100

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:09 AM

well. i guess the issue is i am having some sort of reaction in that my throat is constantly sore and that I'm having reflux. and treating the reflux with nexium didn't work -- its still there. apparently food allergies can cause reflux which is why they went ahead and tested me, except that, it brought back a long list of potential culprits. the dr did tell me that the chance of being allergic to foods based on the back scratch test is anywhere from 1-7 to 1-2. but there are 20 foods in the "4" category alone, meaning, the largest wheels on my back. there are an additional 44 that caused a "1" or "2" reaction. meaning less likely to be allergic to them, but still could be. The severity of any allergy is not read by these numbers, just the likelihood of being allergic. 

The doctor told me to eliminate the set that i was most likely to be allergic to first- which was all of the "4"s. THats the first 20 foods. Because these didn't come back on the blood test which was done by the first dr- i was actually eating a lot of the foods including chicken, beef, peas, corn, etc. i actually do think i may be starting to feel better after just cutting these foods out for a day. the funny thing is, i was eating SO much of these foods, just a few months ago. It really makes me a believer in "leaky gut". It seems like the leaky gut likely caused by my celiac led for particles of the foods i ate a lot of to slip into my body. I think them my body started getting sensitized to these foods, and maybe started causing reaction with some of them. 

Anyway, the detective work continues today. Nexium contains a corn filler, and i was taking that every day. The doctor told me to stop. 

It makes me wonder if corn is one of the main issues, and if there would be a difference in sensitization between corn fed beef/chicken and 100% grass fed. Just some food for thought…. (HA)!

#13 Rosiesallergies

Rosiesallergies

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

Klk9100,

Your story sounds very similar to my daughter's allergy issues. Have them test you for latex. You listed many of the same foods that she is allergic to. Reactions seemed nearly constant and we could never find a likely suspect food. Once we removed all traces of latex from her environment, she's doing much better.

Good luck!

#14 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

50 % false positives is pretty sad.  I am now seeing skin rashes, burning/itching skin and diarrhea  with foods I once thought could have false positive on IgG food antibody tests.  Even my family can see these rashes.

Dee

#15 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

IgG testing isn't for allergies. IgE is for allergies and has the 50% false positive rate.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: