This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

L-Glutamine

dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have heard L-glutamine suggested for healing.  The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center does not recommend it: Open Original Shared Link

"

What do you think of using L Glutamine to help heal?

We do not recommend this product because no benefits from it have been documented in rigorous, evidence-based research."

What are people's experiences?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I took it for a month base on pub med (US gov) research. It seems to aid in intestinal healing, but I do not think anyone has tested it for healing after a celiac disease diagnosis. Hence, U of C can not support it.

It did no harm. Did it work? I have no proof. My doctor is a firm believer that the mind can do wonderful things though....

All I can find are studies showing benefits to people who are receiving all their feeding intravenoisly in other words, in parenteral nutrition formulas.  Could you please provide some more details or links for it's benefit when used to supplement a normal diet?  I am interesting in learning more about the benefits of this supplement.  Thank you.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

Here is one link. You can search for more within the PubMed site. But, you should discuss with your doctor,,,,,,

GottaSki Mentor

All I can find are studies showing benefits to people who are receiving all their feeding intravenoisly in other words, in parenteral nutrition formulas. Could you please provide some more details or links for it's benefit when used to supplement a normal diet? I am interesting in learning more about the benefits of this supplement. Thank you.

I have not researched this supplement in over four years. I think it's positive attributes for some with celiac disease falls into the same category as many supplements that can help a damaged digestive system ... Folks personal accounts of improvement or lack thereof with its use.

If you are interested in peer reviewed published papers ... I second going to the PubMed database. Even without full access, reading abstracts and the papers that are available to the public would be your best source.

Other than that - a simple google search will give you plenty of consumer reviews.

Ps...I just did a search in the search box above top right of "glutamine" and chose search forums....tons of results.

Open Original Shared Link

Here is one link. You can search for more within the PubMed site. But, you should discuss with your doctor,,,,,,

Thank you for your help.  I did plan to discuss it with my doctor.  Generally, when I present ideas to my doctor, I provide photocopies of published research showing that it works, or a print out of advice from a celiac center or something like that.  I have seen this mentioned so many times on this forum, I thought it would be easy to find something, but I am having a hard time.  The link that you provide there is to a discontinued alternative medicine journal, and my doctor would not accept that.  I searched within the PubMed site and didn't find anything else to say that it helps with intestinal issues.  Is there anything more mainstream than an alternative medicine review?

nvsmom Community Regular

I took L-Glutamine the first year after being diagnosed. It was recommended to me by an orthomolecular doctor that I was seeing. I added it to my list of regular supplements because I ad taken it in the past to help with muscle recovery when I had changes to my exercise program or was lifting very heavy. It really did help speed up my muscle recovery and reduce soreness so I thought it made sense that it could help my intestines too.

The problem is that I have nothing to compare to. Who knows if my recovery would be different. KWIM?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My functional medicine nurse recommends L-glutamine to help heal the gut.  I have a friend that marvels over how much better she felt when she started L-glutamine.  I took it late in my process and didn't notice much difference.  I did have an endoscopy that showed my intestine is in good shape.  I am using Thorne brand powder which seems to be free of my other intolerances such as corn.  I take 1 Tbsp twice a day.  My instructions were to take it for a few months.

Have you done nutrient absorption tests to see if your small intestine is working well?  It would be nice to have a baseline to see if the L-glutamine does help absorption.  One could  test levels and then take the supplement and retake the nutrient level test.  If the nutrient levels were adequate then I would think that the small intestine is working well enough.  If you keep getting damage, though, that would be different.

I like what Nicole said:  I have nothing to compare it too.  Who knows if my recovery would be different?  One can't do it two ways and compare results!   Each person is unique having differing genetics, backgrounds, and amounts of damage. 

You guys said it so well.  When it comes to supplements to help with healing, we can't tell if they helped or if we would have healed anyway.  That is why I was looking for a research study.  The way to tell if something works is to have a study which gives the supplement to some people and not others and compare the healing process.  These studies cost a lot of money to run, and need to be promising to be worth the expense. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any indication for someone to do a study like this.  My doctor is only interested in proven treatments.  She is concerned that potential contamination of supplements might be harmful, so they may do more harm than good.  Here a study about contamination of supplements: Open Original Shared Link

Here is what University of Maryland medical center says:

"Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid (building block of protein) in the body. The body can make enough glutamine for its regular needs, but extreme stress (the kind you would experience after very heavy exercise or an injury), your body may need more glutamine than it can make."

"2 clinical trials found that taking glutamine supplements did not improve symptoms of Crohn’s disease. More research is needed."

Source: Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link
University of Maryland Medical Center
Follow us: Open Original Shared Link | Open Original Shared Link
1desperateladysaved Proficient

I had my blood glutamine levels checked.  They were normal about 18 months into the healing process.  However, that didn't tell me how much a person healing from celiac would need, or whether my body cells were getting the nutrients from the blood.  I also did not have a base test before the diet began.

Gemini Experienced

No one does that, Dee.  You just have to relax, eat healthy and don't worry about it.  At some point, your gut will heal and absorption will happen and you'll recover. Those tests can be very expensive and are not really necessary...unless you like spending your money on them.  I think some people are overthinking this whole thing.

As far as contamination of supplements goes, if it worries people to the point where they think everything is contaminated, don't use them.  It is easy enough to figure out what is safe to use but if anything bothers your gut, then stop and use something else .....or not.  Most people just have to supplement with some vitamins they are deficient in anyway.

But it is interesting to know that L-glutamine is good for muscle recovery...that may come in handy!

Archived