10 replies to this topic

#1 elless

elless

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Anyone who is gluten and dairy free ever have an issue with microgestin or loestrin birth control. I think it should be gluten free but I'm worried about the lactose.

I was on it before going gluten free, but stopped right before.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

The best way to know would be to call the manufacturer and ask them if it contains any gluten or milk ingredients.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 elless

elless

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, I was going to give them a call tommorrow. Im only 1 month gluten-free so I've been dairy free as well. I was just curious if anyone has ever had issues with birth control. Unfortunately I need it for medical reasons.

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

I am wondering if the teeny tiny amount of lactose that might be in a BC pill is significant. If we are just talking about lactose intolerance, usually small amounts in foods, bigger amounts than in a tiny pill, are digestable. Now, if it's a casein/ dairy allergy, with anaphylactic responses, that might be different.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 elless

elless

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

There is apparently small amounts of lactose in my synthroid, and I seem to be ok with that. But the probiotics my Dr gave me had milk and bothered me.

#6 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

I used to take Loestrin24FE. That was gluten free according to the manufacturers. I do not know about the other versions of Loestrin. 

That birth control isn't being made anymore. Instead, I use Minastrin24FE, which is basically the same thing. According to the manufacturers who I checked with on two separate occasions, the active pills ARE gluten free, but the reminder pills ARE NOT gluten free. So I just skip the reminder pills and just remember the appropriate day that I need to start the active pills again. 

Hope this helps!

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#7 GFreeGirly05

GFreeGirly05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

@ WinterSong

That is awesome! I loved Loestrin 24 and just stopped and switched over to Loestrin 1.5/30's generic brand Gildess once I was told that the Minastrin had gluten.

Can you verify which manufacturers you might have called? And is there a chance of cross-contamination for the active pills if the placebo is not gluten free?

After calling the manufacturers for Gildess 1.5/30, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals, the woman on the phone told me that there are "no gluten ingredients used in making this product, however, they cannot guarantee it would be suitable for celiacs as they do not test for gluten"

Should we be worried about gluten cross-contamination with BC pills in general?

Thank you for your help!

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

the woman on the phone told me that there are "no gluten ingredients used in making this product, however, they cannot guarantee it would be suitable for celiacs as they do not test for gluten"

This is the best response you will likely get for any medication.  They don't test for gluten so they won't say it is gluten free.  Its a CYA statement.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

GFreeGirly05 - 

I directly called the manufacturers of Minastrin. They said very specifically that the inactive pills contain gluten but that the active pills do not. 

Who told you that Minastrin has gluten in it? Was this recently? 

#10 elless

elless

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

So, I just started back on the birthcontrol. I'm on microgestin 20. I'm pretty sure it's casin I react to not lactose, but there's small amounts of lactose in my synthroid and I'm ok with that. Anyway, I've been a mess this week since I started it again. Hotflashes, mood swings, super dry mouth, bloating, anxiety. If I'm not on it, I have terrible debilitating ovulation pain. The bc makes some things better and somethings worse. Sigh. Any suggestions.

#11 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the casein content in birth control pills. Could you look into an IUD instead? For me, I need to take the pill to prevent ovarian cysts, otherwise I'd be looking into other alternatives. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: