This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pepcid And Thiamcinolone

Doorknocker

squirmingitch Veteran

Yes! Pet food can gluten you!!!! Pets lick themselves. drool & what the gluten goes on can get transferred to you. You said grinding..... do you use the same food processor? There could be a source of cc. There are grain free/gluten free pet foods. Just Google gluten-free dog food, cat food. Also, in the grinding process, if there's gluten in it, the powder can be breathed by you. What goes in your nose & down your throat, goes in your gut. Do you kiss your dog? I know I kiss mine all the time. She eats gluten free -- Fromm Grain free, Annamaet also makes grain free (gluten-free), lots of choices out there for gluten-free dog food. 

Believe me, I do know how overwhelming it is in the beginning. There is a hugely steep learning curve, sort of like climbing Mt. Everest. It takes a while to get all the rules down pat. 

Just Google whatever it is you're looking for & add gluten free & you will come up with lots of info. there is a thread on here for gluten free make up & shampoo & so forth. Some will say you don't need gluten-free make up or lotions but when you have dh, you really DO have to worry about it. DH is unbelievably sensitive to the tiniest amount of gluten. The med publications say the gluten molecule is too small to pass through skin. All fine & well but we have open sores! It doesn't have to pass through the skin b/c we scratched the skin off or the skin was compromised by a blister that ruptured. You see?

Here is a link to the forum where you can find lots of info. on not only food products but meds & topical products that are gluten-free.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/forum/32-gluten-free-foods-products-shopping-medications/?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

Here is one on stuff like shampoo

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/108589-gluten-free-shampoo-conditioner-body-wash/

Personally, I just use Suave shampoo & conditioner -- cheap, does a good job, smells yummy & is gluten-free. Vaseline Intensive Rescue Repairing lotion is gluten-free. Dove deodorant is gluten-free. So is Mitchum. I think a lot of the Garnier (sp?) products are gluten-free. 

Call companies too when you're not sure. That's food, pharmaceutical companies (for prescriptions or OTC), cosmetics. & topicals as well as pet food companies. I call all the time. BTW, McCormick has gluten-free turkey & beef gravy packets now as well as chili mix & taco seasoning. I called them last week. They have an excellent policy for ensuring gluten-free is gluten-free. They will always reveal gluten ingredients on the ingredients list. With the new labeling law, things are going to get much easier for us!

Here's the Newbie 101 thread:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

You know oatmeal is cc'd don't you? You have to have oats that are grown in certified fields & harvested & processed on clean equipment. Bob's Red Mill (BRM) has certified gluten-free oats. And BTW, it's a good idea not to eat even certified gluten-free oats for a year. The protein is so similar to the wheat protein that the body might react. So just skip the oats for a year.

As to travel.... get yourself together a travel kit --- 1 or 2 pots & pans, flexible cutting board, a few utensils, a small colander, toaster bags (you put your gluten-free bread in them to protect from gluten crumbs in a toaster) -- I think these things are listed in the Newbie 101. Put them all in a box & when you get rooms make sure you get a kitchenette & cook your own meals. You can not count on local places even when not busy to know all the rules or even for you to be able to TELL them all the rules. They just don't know how to be careful enough. WE make mistakes, how can we expect them to get it right????

When you took the trip, you may have just been on an "off" phase with the rash at that time. It can & does come & go at will even though you are eating gluten-free. It's going to take time. I hope you will not be as long as I have been but it's possible. I STILL get itchies. 400,000% improved but there are still antibodies under my skin that haven't left yet. I get days, 1 or 2, or 3 when I have nothing but then there are days when I do. They don't itch 24/7 anymore though & there are hours in between itchy "spells". 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Doorknocker Newbie

Good thing I don't like oatmeal!  I did know it was bad for me to eat, long before I got diagnosed.  :P   I never liked it.

I have a coffee grinder that is used only for the bird food I grind, but I never thought about the dust.  I guess I'll be getting masks and doing a lot of hand washing.  I only grind once a month and I always wash my hands after feeding or touching them, even if I never touch a crumb of their food.  I rescued them both none years ago and they have five year lifespans, so somehow I'll figure it out so they can live out their lives with the people they know and love.

Right now I have Neutrogena shampoo and conditioner and a Garnier leave in.  My hair hasn't been cut in well over a year and it was long and curly and a mess before I got the DH rash.  I haven't had it cut since.  I don't even know what to do with it anymore and until the rash clears up some, I don't really care.  I can't use a blow dryer or flat iron or anything with heat, so a ponytail it is.  My only issue with that is sometimes the weight of my hair (it's really thick!) pulls on my open wounds, and that hurts and is irritating.  I do call or google products I am not sure about - the problem is, it seems EVERY product is questionable and it takes a while to figure all that out.  I'm learning this. There is SO MUCH to learn! 

I can switch the dogs to gluten free, but I think the older dog already is.  She has a sensitive belly. Most times I just make her rice and chicken on my own - it helps her tolerate her medications better with less stinky gas!  The puppy in my pic, I'll have to check the package. I think both dogs are getting baths tomorrow. 

I really appreciate all your talk and your links.  There is so much to learn about gluten free.  Except in the summer, I cook almost every meal at home but when it's warm here my husband likes to take out the motorcycle, so we end up eating out a lot more.  Not so much this summer because I've been sick, but we did take that trip and he wants to do a final summer one this coming weekend.  We camp, so stopping at a local store and getting plain meat to grill is definitely possible and I can pack small snacks to eat for breakfast.  I am so bloated that I really don't eat more than twice a day. 

For anyone else that might be following this thread for its original content:  as long as I remember to take the pepcid (I got the Walgreens generic brand which is gluten free) and I use the steroid, it's not so fire ant-like and it's mostly tolerable.  I just want it to go away!

Archived