This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Tired, Can't Stay Awake.

beth01

beth01 Enthusiast

I was wondering if anyone else ever has bouts of extreme tiredness?  Like can't stay awake for anything in the world tired, compelled to sleep for a few days?  I know I haven't been glutened, but it seems like if I have foods that I seem intolerant to the sleep is the first things that happens.  I have been ok with small amounts of soy, but I must have over done it.  I had to call my mom to come and get my kids because I just can't stay awake.  Just wondering if it happens to anyone else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

Yes---just woke up from a nap :D.....how's your sleep at night?  Do you snore?  

beth01 Enthusiast

No snoring and I sleep like the dead most nights. This happened to me a week or so ago and I slept for almost two days straight, was up maybe a total of 4 hours in two days.

beth01 Enthusiast

I was having insomnia really bad before but that has gotten so much better and I can sleep again.  But now I am on the opposite extreme

GottaSki Mentor

When i did a strict elimination diet geared toward Autoimmune Disorders i found that legumes are like sleeping pills for me.

Beans, Peas, etc make me very sleepy.

Peanuts make me tired but also very emotional.

Perhaps there is something besides gluten causing you trouble.

icelandgirl Proficient

Oh Beth...I'm sorry...that sounds rough. Before I was diagnosed I was like that, but have seen improvement. Had to go back to my Dr though because I'm still pretty tired. They are running a thyroid panel on me to see if something is up there. I'm hypo, but have never been tested for Hashi's. Has yours been checked recently to see if your on the right dose? What about your fibromyalgia? Did you start a new med and could that be causing it?

I'm glad your mom is there to help! I have to run to pick up kids. It's thundering and the new school policy is that if there is lightning you have to go all the way in to the classroom to get them. They won't release them outside...Ugh. Last time we ended up in a long line of parents waiting to get in and got soaked.

I hope you figure out something that helps. PM me if you need to talk!

millerb68 Newbie

Yes, this is one of my primary symptoms, even being 10 months gluten-free, and what made me go to my now-former primary care doc three years in a row (he told me three times "you are doing too much."). Some days I can barely hold my eyes open at work, so I have to get up and walk outside. For me, it's got to be another food sensitivity/allergy/intolerance and the leaky gut. I wish I had advice to offer, but I'm hoping others do, because it's really debilitating, and people don't understand the overwhelming sense of fatigue is not just being tired. 

Edit: to add that I was also diagnosed by my new doc with subclinical hypothyroid. Maybe that's a possibility?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beth01 Enthusiast

I had made some chicken and gravy last month and had some in the freezer and had it for dinner last night.  There must have been soy in the concentrated stock I used since I didn't have enough of my own.  I was making the kids lunch and fell asleep standing in my kitchen next to the stove. Damn food.

bartfull Rising Star

I'm another one who went from insomnia pre-gluten-free to craving constant sleep post-gluten-free. It's only lately (over three years in) that I have gotten my energy back. With my corn intolerance on top of celiac, I couldn't find any vitamins I could take. But I finally found some and after taking them for a few months I can actually sleep 7 or 8 hours at night and get through the day. Before I could sleep 12 hours straight through and STILL need a nap in the afternoon.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I use to fall asleep between words on a spelling test.  I got better as my nutrient levels came up.

Dee

dilettantesteph Collaborator

That's one of my glutening symptoms.  I also have no energy to do anything but lie on the couch in front of the TV.  I fall asleep and wake up on the couch with the TV still on in the middle of the night.  Then the insomnia hits.  It goes away after I remove that gluten source.

I hope you feel better soon.

Serielda Enthusiast

Bingo, that sounds eerily familar here, from the last time I had an acccident and  was exposed to gluten. That lull in your mind and body that wants sleep, except for me the horrid cramping and bloating interfers and makes the cycle even more vicious.

Also feels like me for the past few days, not sure what I came in  contact with as my hubby and I have a strict no gluten in the house policy due to cc concerns and that I am  still newly healing from years of damage that was done.

This thread is one that caught my eye as of late as noted previously in this post is  I feel beyond exhausted, followed by the familar upset stomach symptoms. I usually do  a probiotic  soy free suplement smoothie/drink to help with that and past two weeks my store I buy it from was out, and the other options was not  vegan, or I felt didn't offer a whole lot of good to it. Could you have those symptoms by not suplimenting a probiotic for a short while?

I know from my logs on what I eat, plus no gluten was in the house, that it looks highly doubtful it was/is that unless something somewhere cc'd my safe food.

That's one of my glutening symptoms.  I also have no energy to do anything but lie on the couch in front of the TV.  I fall asleep and wake up on the couch with the TV still on in the middle of the night.  Then the insomnia hits.  It goes away after I remove that gluten source.

I hope you feel better soon.

• 2 weeks later...
GF-30 Newbie

Hello everyone, new to this forum! Diagnosed with Celiac last month at the age of 31, and since then have been gluten-free! But there are days when I cannot keep my eyes open..especially after the lunch. Have avoided all gluten i could [though i do get gluten free flour from the market - is there a doubt that it is not gluten-free??) and then veggies and legumes and curd. No processed food at all...

So not sure what is really causing so much lethargy and sleepy feeling!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome gluten-free@30!

Check out the newbie section under "Coping". There are invaluable tips! Here is the link:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Keep asking questions. We are here to help each other.

As far as being exhausted, you are sick. Time will heal as you are learning how to go gluten free. You might want to have your thyroid checked. That is a common problem with folks around here.

Hello everyone, new to this forum! Diagnosed with Celiac last month at the age of 31, and since then have been gluten-free! But there are days when I cannot keep my eyes open..especially after the lunch. Have avoided all gluten i could [though i do get gluten free flour from the market - is there a doubt that it is not gluten-free??) and then veggies and legumes and curd. No processed food at all...

So not sure what is really causing so much lethargy and sleepy feeling!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Bingo, that sounds eerily familar here, from the last time I had an acccident and  was exposed to gluten. That lull in your mind and body that wants sleep, except for me the horrid cramping and bloating interfers and makes the cycle even more vicious.

Also feels like me for the past few days, not sure what I came in  contact with as my hubby and I have a strict no gluten in the house policy due to cc concerns and that I am  still newly healing from years of damage that was done.

This thread is one that caught my eye as of late as noted previously in this post is  I feel beyond exhausted, followed by the familar upset stomach symptoms. I usually do  a probiotic  soy free suplement smoothie/drink to help with that and past two weeks my store I buy it from was out, and the other options was not  vegan, or I felt didn't offer a whole lot of good to it. Could you have those symptoms by not suplimenting a probiotic for a short while?

I know from my logs on what I eat, plus no gluten was in the house, that it looks highly doubtful it was/is that unless something somewhere cc'd my safe food.

I do notice feeling worse if I forget to take my probiotic.  Maybe that's it?  It is so hard to tell.  I keep a log too, and that does help.

• 2 weeks later...
GF-30 Newbie

Thanks all for the reply! Yes, the things have started to improve a bit now - much more energy. This is a great place to share all such questions, and since there is no live community here in India. Thanks again.

Archived