Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

First Out-Of-Town Trip Since Diagnosis. Big Girl Pants.

• Please log in to reply

46 replies to this topic

#1 coffngrl

coffngrl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Day one into my first on the road, hotels every day trip since the celiac diagnosis. I never realized how hard this would be! Camping was a breeze, and while a visit to the family was annoying (they all ordered pizza!) it was do-able. Strange restaurants every day? Not so fun.

Last night had a place tell me they could totally do gluten free, but then insist glutinous rice has gluten. They sent a salad w/ crunchy things on it after I asked for them to be left off and tried to convince me they were rice. Then, my entree did not come with all the others, it came only with a "oh sorry, I forgot to tell the chef it needed to be gluten free, and he said he can't do that because the meat is marinated in soy ahead of time. So I ate nothing but the salad. Today, the one restaurant that came up on Find Me gluten-free app was closed for a private event. So I ate two boiled eggs in my hotel room.

My breakfast, rice and eggs, was inedible because I didn't consider that I'm at altitude and the rice cooker wouldn't work for shit. The rice wasn't even remotely done.

So on with the big girl pants. Don't cry. Do not cry. Try not to cry. Have a Kind bar. Don't cry.

Sigh.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Rice cookers don't work at high elevation? I did not know that ( said the girl that lives at 100 ft above sea level if I'm at the top of a hill). Bummer.

Think of it as a learning experience? I have gotten much better at traveling with a little practice. You will see what works for you and what doesn't and make improvements next time.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hang in there!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Well...I say cry, then adjust ;)

At least that's what I did ... Big girl pants intact.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

I start my busy work season here soon and will be in hotels pretty much every night Sept-November.  I'm planning on staying in places that have a kitchen and I got a plug in cooler for the car and will just cook for myself on the road.  I can't afford to be sick since I meetings with clients every day that can't be rescheduled.  It's going to be interesting.    Stop by home Depot and get one of these  http://www.homedepot...=5yc1vZc7nwZ29p  .  If nothing else you can get some frozen dinners that are gluten-free and warm them in the microwave at the hotel.

#6 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

I bought one of those purse type thermal bags and stock it with stuff like cheese pieces, crackers, nuts, Think Thin bars, tuna, peanut butter squeeze packs.  Quick protein get-me-through-another-meal type stuff. 

#7 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Sounds like you have maintained at least some sense of humor, good for you!  Perhaps this article might help?    

http://theglobalfork...c-overview.html

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

I use travel coolers too, though I have a coleman 40 qt.  For shorter trips I use a regular cooler with a frozen gallon jug of water.  I also have a portable microwave.  You'll do fine once you learn the ropes.

#9 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

I'm debating about buying a toaster so I can at least have toast in the room for breakfast.  

#10 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

I had to be on the road for several weeks recently. Amy's frozen dinners were a godsend! They have quite a variety of gluten free meals (not all are gluten free - you have to check the box), and they are carried by WalMart, Target, etc. They cost around $3.50 each.

Now when I'm in a strange town and need a definitely gluten-free meal, I just find a WalMart, buy one, and use my hotel microwave. And they're pretty tasty, too!

#11 coffngrl

coffngrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the tip on the altitude cooking, Beth. It came a little too late for my not-done pot of Bob's Red Mill cereal. I'm going to stick w/ the Chex, even though I can't find lactose-free milk anywhere. Take your pick - grumbling stomach from hunger or from the lactose intolerance I guess.

Today I lost the big girl pants and my shit, because one of the restaurants given high marks on the Find me gluten-free app turned out to be total bullshit and not celiac friendly at all. It's just for people who like to eat pizza and pretend it's gluten free when they bake it in all the flour from all the other pizzas. (sigh). Even the salads weren't safe there.

Dinner was a Reese's peanut butter cup and some gluten-free cookies because all of my cold food melted down in the car because I had to spend 10 hours working before getting to the next hotel. My stick of butter that I had for my eggs and rice melted all over everything and the cooler. It was a hot mess. Literally.

Oh and add to it I think I got contaminated having soup and a salad at the hotel last night because after months of being fine, I spent three hours on the toilet before giving in and taking steroids. The server assured me up and down it was totally fine.

I'm officially throwing in the towel on travel. I love going places but this is absolute bullshit that I have to carry a fucking kitchen and refrigerator with me just so I can eat. I'm really over it. There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home....

#12 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

If I had a pair of ruby slippers I would let you borrow them....until then all I can offer is it will get easier with time.

Hang tough and enjoy your cozy bed once you get home :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#13 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the tip on the altitude cooking, Beth. It came a little too late for my not-done pot of Bob's Red Mill cereal. I'm going to stick w/ the Chex, even though I can't find lactose-free milk anywhere. Take your pick - grumbling stomach from hunger or from the lactose intolerance I guess.

Today I lost the big girl pants and my shit, because one of the restaurants given high marks on the Find me gluten-free app turned out to be total bullshit and not celiac friendly at all. It's just for people who like to eat pizza and pretend it's gluten free when they bake it in all the flour from all the other pizzas. (sigh). Even the salads weren't safe there.

Dinner was a Reese's peanut butter cup and some gluten-free cookies because all of my cold food melted down in the car because I had to spend 10 hours working before getting to the next hotel. My stick of butter that I had for my eggs and rice melted all over everything and the cooler. It was a hot mess. Literally.

Oh and add to it I think I got contaminated having soup and a salad at the hotel last night because after months of being fine, I spent three hours on the toilet before giving in and taking steroids. The server assured me up and down it was totally fine.

I'm officially throwing in the towel on travel. I love going places but this is absolute bullshit that I have to carry a fucking kitchen and refrigerator with me just so I can eat. I'm really over it. There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home....

I have the find me gluten-free app too, it's pretty worthless.  Heck, when I went to a restaurant that I KNEW was gluten-free, owner is Celiac,  it didn't even show up on there....

I've found that you have to start asking questions about prep and make sure they know you have a "gluten allergy"...Celiac means nothing to a lot of people but when you say "allergy" they perk up.  

If you have to travel a lot, my suggestion would be to buy food items in each area so you don't have to leave them in your car.  The night before you leave for a new location, search for restaurants near the address you will be at on google and find some that are safe.

I also just saw these  http://www.wildgardenhummus.com/ at a work thing the other day.  They have individual packs that are shelf stable so no refrigeration needed.  You can eat hummus a variety of ways and it's packed with protein.  

#14 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

With those travel coolers, you can get an adapter to plug it in a normal recepticle.  You can carry it into your place of work or hotel room and plug it in.  It will get better with experience.  It's just a matter of figuring out how to make it work.

#15 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

Yep..  http://www.homedepot...AC15/202467951 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: