This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oprah - Let's Get Cd On Her Show

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

I guess I should switch my day to Friday for this reminder..but this week I had a good reason to be late. I agonized all day Monday waiting for the the doc to call with my biopsy results which were positive for celiac disease not suprisingly.

Anyway after seeing Celiac discussed today on GMA I'm really excited that together we can make a difference. I don't care who you e-mail or call or write. Just do your part and pester the show(s) of your choice. I think this week the letters are K and L - we're switching to two letters a week as someone suggested before. And of course, it doesn't matter who e-mails who when...as long as we are getting it done. Come on people, don't you want to be on Montel or the View telling your own story?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to add that yesterday I found out from the lady at Univ. of Chicago celiac disease program that some guy on cnbc named Keith Oberman or Overman has Celiac. She said he has mentioned it on his show before but doesn't know how extensively so I will try and e-mail him too. Not sure though he could be a stock guy...never heard of him before yesteday and the lady who told me didn't know what kind of show he had either.

And about yesterday's GMA - I know many of you (like me ) e-mailed GMA as well as other shows. Does anyone on here know what/who led GMA to do the story? I mean it couldn't be one of us because we would have posted for everyone to watch right? Just curious. Guess I'll try and e-mail them again to see if they'll tell me. Right after I call the gyno to ask if she has gluten free lubricant for my exam. :o

pumpkin Rookie

Keith Oberman has an hour long show at 8:00 E.S.T on MSNBC. He used to be a sportscaster at ESPN and I think Fox. If he has celiac disease maybe he would be open to pushing for public awareness. That would be cool.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Right after I call the gyno to ask if she has gluten free lubricant for my exam. :o

Hi FN

I'd love to know what lead GMA to do the show also???

I'd emailed Dr Tim and the GMA web site to see about putting the video on AFTER THE SHOW AIRED

Please email us with the name of the ob lubricant if you get it, ok?

Thanks Judy

Will do Judy. But just calling the dentist today took forever so I'm calling the gyno Monday. At least one hygenist knew what I was talking about for gluten-free cleaning products. They don't have any but use baking soda and some non rotary tool. Don't know what that tool thing is about but I'll just ask when I get there in May. My dentist is very popular and has 6 hygenists and it still takes four months to get in (for cleanings) but he's the best dentist we've had so I don't complain.

elye Community Regular
That would be a good show and a dream come true for all of us but remember what happened with the Beef Industry when she did a show about their practices? I wonder if she would be willing to rile up the wheat industry? I'm still very much in favor of the E-mailing campaign, don't get me wrong, but I was just thinking...

Yep, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I think this is a TERRIFIC idea, and Oprah is listened to, but I've often suspected that the reason so little is "known" (read: researched) about celiac and gluten intolerance in North America is that our biggest agricultural moneymaker (certainly in Canada) is wheat. I know our Canadian government isn't going to be too happy about the word getting out...gluten can be deadly for a large part of the world population!...not so good for our economy. But Oprah seems to be the type not to really care about such bureaucratic things, and will strive for the truth at all costs. In fact, she could even want this very thing mentioned on the show.

Anyway, count me in. I'm in for week "L".....

This is the week for M and N. I don't care who you write/pester. Just please do your part to get the word out. Remember if everyone who has Celaic gets properly diagnosed, we all benefit greatly with more safe, tasty and less expensive food choices. That fact alone is enough to keep me going until everyone (who has access to main stream media in US) has at least heard the words Celiac and gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hulkster Newbie

Puny Humans skipped over letter "H"

Hulk sent SMASHING Email to Oprah! ;-)

Guest BERNESES
Puny Humans skipped over letter "H"

Hulk sent SMASHING Email to Oprah! ;-)

Hulkster- Puny humans love you and your competition! Get the word out!

Ummm. :blink: ...Hulkster - did you read post #68...I think it says H right? I did do two weeks for G by mistake but still got in H unless I'm not able to read anymore from tryng to memorize the Delphi list - ha ha!

hulkster Newbie

Hulk missed that - sorry.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Last night I had an idea -- for all those SOPRANO fans -- remember ADRIANA (Drea de Matteo - the girl now on Joey show) they had her suffered from IBS?

Too bad Tony killed her off because the writer and producer could have written celiac disease into the script. I have a feeling they are going to bring her back in the dream sequence they do about all the dead people Tony wacked.

Maybe we can write and see... The reason I say this being Italian -- in my research about celiac disease Italians have a high number with the disease. In Italy they blood test the kids and screen for the disease.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I was gonna jump in and help here, but I'll have to tell you that I've sworn off Oprah after that ridiculous show where she her nose was just about scraping the ceiling while she was telling author James Frey ("A Million Little Pieces") how "embarrassed and disappointed" she was. Ugh... she was so obnoxious. I'm not watching her anymore.

luvs2eat - just e-mail any show you do respect, the more people we bother, the better our chances of being heard are.

ms_silly_sccrewed - I do not get HBO or whatever network Sopranos is on but if you'll post their website, I'll e-mail the show and pretend that I do :lol::lol::lol: ! That is a fantastic idea!

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I was scrolling through the sports and fitness category. There's a thread on there about Team Celiac -- it's a fundraiser walk/run for Celiac. The whole information is on that thread, which is very informative. At any rate, they're going to be in Lake Placid on June 11, 2006 and it looks as though it will be big. Perhaps that is the way to get to the bigger programs, such as Oprah. Just a thought . . . Lynne

mamaathome Explorer

I wrote in when my daughter was first diagnosed, and heard no reply, but I still think it would be the BEST way to educate the world and will write in again! Great idea!

This is the week for letter O and P. Please note again: I do not care who you choose to pester. I'm not starting a new thread for people who don't want to e-mail Oprah. I myself have started focussing on Dateline (Ann Curry, sister had cancer), 20/20 (John Stossil) and Primetime Live (John Kinjonis, not correct sp). The angle I'm playing is that I'm letting them know that I'm also contacting each of their competitors in hopes that maybe if they don't care about Celiac, they'll care about exposing the hidden epidemic in America - Celiac disease.

BTW - does anyone know the exact title/author of the book I mentioned above? Now I can't find it anywhere.

Open Original Shared Link you asked for.

The creator is David Chase.Open Original Shared Link

Adrainna got wacked (killed) she had IBS, plenty of episodes about it. I have a feeling they will do a dream segment and bring her back. Every year all the people Tony wacks, come back to haunt him in his dream. He's quite an emotional wreck last seasons ending after everyone is turning on him and he's alone. Carmella tossed him out, but we'll see where it goes. Adriana was a leading character and many of us LOVED HER and are bothered by him wacking her.

REGARDING OPRAH --

Just a NOTE... I don't know if others have found this to be true but I have. People, press, lawyers and doctors don't hold high regard for E-mails. Most don't feel the need to reply. Perhaps we should send snail mail you know the kind with stamps. We can print out form letters that outline celiac disease. And get everyone we know to send it to them so their mail room fills up. They can delete emails, not so easy to tell the mail room guy to dump it all...

jerseyangel Proficient

Open Original Shared Link you asked for.

Adrainna got wacked (killed) she had IBS, plenty of episodes about it. I have a feeling they will do a dream segment and bring her back. Every year all the people Tony wacks, come back to haunt him in his dream. He's quite an emotional wreck last seasons ending after everyone is turning on him and he's alone. Carmella tossed him out, but we'll see where it goes. Adriana was a leading character and many of us LOVED HER and are bothered by him wacking her.

ms_sillyak_screwed has a very good point - it is certainly easier for a producer to delete all our e-mails in an instant. We'd make much more of an impact say if we all agreed to mail a real letter to the show on the same day, yes they'd all arrive on different days but many would arrive each day for a week or so if we would all agree to do it. Problem is that no one much is interested in focussing on Oprah at this point so I don't see the point of maybe 10 of us writing letters.

That said, it's the week for letter Q and R for those of you interested in participating in our media campaign. Please e-mail (or send snail mail) to the show/person of your choice.

This week's letter are S and T. Write whoever you want - snail mail or e-mail or both!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have an idea I'll like to pass on. I welcome your thoughts and feelings.

How about we write to the drug companies... bring to their attention our needs?

How about we write (snail mail) to the "White House"???

GW Bush and the entire Bush family has thyroid problems (thyroid is connected to digestion and celiac disease). I have a feeling GW BUSH has it too... Just a feeling. Remember they changed the White House chef not long ago? The one good things the President Bush did was sign the FDA food labeling law. I think he knows SOY is killing us as a nation, little can be done at this stage until we gang up on food companies and demand SOY free food, just like we are doing about gluten.

Oh and the Sopranos the new season the FBI agent got a parisite lost weight... We need some how to get to David Chase.

Just wanted to report I was on a local radio show tonight talking about celiac disease trying to get the word out...

jerseyangel Proficient

Ms.SS--How cool! Tell us about it :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Ms.SS--How cool! Tell us about it :)

YES, PLEASE SHARE WITH US

:o:rolleyes: CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

IS THERE ANYWAY WE CAN HEAR IT?

judy in philly

Archived