This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oprah - Let's Get Cd On Her Show

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

If your last name begins with D - well you know what to do! Have a great week everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BERNESES

I'm late but I'm in (I'm a B). I'm thinking even a show about food allergies and intolerances would do (although food allergies might overshadow us because there impact can be lethal very quickly whereas ours takes years) or even autoimmune disorders.

Regardless, educating anyone one person at a time is important and nothing ever hurts!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Any of you around the country hear about the young :wub: kids deadly kiss? She was allergic to peanuts. Her boyfriend ate a big fat peanut bitter sandwich, then :wub: kissed her a long loving slow kiss :wub: and it KILLED HER! Open Original Shared Link

Maybe the bar will raise when the numbers come out those of us that are dying from celiac disease and toxic food. Like my dear sweet Auntie on a feeding tube and how an innocent :wub: kiss can kill you.

Perhaps Oprah can do some sort of food allergy show and the death rate? How many of us toxic food is killing!?

I hear about celebrities and athletes that die suddenly from seizure and/or dying and no-one ever knows why. It's in the news. Remember there are plenty of us Celiac's that get seizures from toxic food like my late-Auntie and I. I guess it's all a mystery.

But if employers could cut back on sick days and illnesses health insurance and etc, maybe they would consider it? When they see how it affects the budget they might?

I'll write too --- I just tell everyone and anyone I come in contact with about celiac disease. I don't care if they listens to my bla bla celiac bla bla... maybe something will trigger that bla bla bla info I rambled on about, stored in their little brains when it’s needed.

It's the week for last name beginning with 'E' to w-mail Oprah and any other talk show you like (CCN mentioned above and is a great idea I think). Also Sillyak screwed may be onto something. Maybe a show about food allergies/intolerance would be a good angle for a show topic suggestion. :rolleyes:

eeyor_fan had a great idea (in another post) about getting celiac disease on Emeril Lagassee's show. This is a great idea so we may as well e-mail his show too and another obvious place is on Martha Stewart's new show. I think Emeril would be more likely to respond (met him at GMA taping and he's extremely nice) but it won't hurt to contact Martha too. The more the merrier as they say!

Contacting Emeril Lagassee and Martha Stuart is a great idea! And there is also a less known cook but she's a power house -- Rachael Ray. How about some of the culinary schools too?

The other night in the middle of the night (my daddyO plays a radio really loud on talk radio when he sleeps) so I couldn't help but hear it. I stood outs side his door and listened. Anyway they were talking about, of all things, deaths from toxic food. The guy interviewer had a call in guest. I think she was from our Open Original Shared Link-- she mentioned celiac disease. But the guy said there are only 50 deaths related to food allergies a year. I find that number very low considering what celiac disease can do to ones body.

jerseyangel Proficient

I thought Martha was a good idea, so I sent her an e-mail today. I've also e-mailed Montel, Oprah, CNN, and Elizabeth Hasselbeck at The View. Here's hoping one of our letters click with someone out there with an audience!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

It's week 'F' for those of you who want to participate in our e-mail campaign. Our goal is to get celiac disease talked about on a 'mainstream' media program. Please e-mail Oprah, Emeril, Martha, the view, CNN and anyone else you can think of. Good luck and happy holidays to everyone! :)

Nevadan Contributor

Suggestion for getting media attention for celiac disease:

Keep in mind that one of the media's primary criteria for selecting topics is business based: how many customers would read, listen, view, etc. Last Friday's excellent celiac disease article in the Wall St Journal was not only well written but it also got lots of reader attention. According to WSJOnline's statistics it is the number 3 "Most Emailed" article for the last week and number 7 for the last month. Stats like this get the media's attention. This offers a great opportunity to leverage off of this successful article and reader response in a prestigious news mediium by using it and the stats (particularly the stats) when you approach other media for celiac disease coverage. There is quite a herd mentality in the media so one success can fuel a lot of interest. (e.g. I have emailed the WSJ article to NPR's "Talk of the Nation Science Friday", one of my favorite radio programs, highlighting it's popularity stats at WSJ and suggesting celiac as a Science Friday segment topic.)

Others may want to consider the same strategy.

George

Mary Rita Newbie
I thought about how to best get the word out about celiac disease and the obvious answer was to get Oprah to do a show about it. I started with 'I'm thinking you probably already did a show about this horrible condition that is so underdiagnosed in the US and I'd like to purchase a copy of the show so please tell me how to do so. Then I went on to explain what celiac disease was just in case she hadn't heard of it. The producers didn't get back to me but I told them that I wouldn't be on the show since I don't have horror stories like so many others. I mentioned that some people take 10 years and other 20+ for correct diagnosis. Anyway, I told her she could find many people out here who would be willing to go on the show. So I think we need to be sending her show ideas as they call them on her site every week. We all need to be doing it - not me doing it over and over. If anyone is willing to do this let me know. Maybe we can come up with a system where we do a reminder thread that if your name begins with A-C it's your week to e-mail Oprah. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

What a great idea. I'm going to e-mail the show.

Guest kim07
What a great idea. I'm going to e-mail the show.

I'm not trying to 'diss' anyone's idea of (Getting the news regarding Celiac Disease) out there more to the public, (GAWD, knows we need that desperately),

But getting our disorder on the Oprah show will probably never occur in a million years,

why??, Because All Oprah Cares About If Anyone Has Noticed Around Here are Celebrities!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but true,

try Emeril, or like someone mentioned earlier Rachel Ray, Montel, ...

probably anyone on the food channel would be more than willing to discuss Celiac Disease

Sorry, don't mean to be rude,

just my opinion

kim07

Sorry I forgot that this is e-mail Oprah (or whoever) day for those of you whose last name starts with a G. And I agree with the post above, I don't get to watch Oprah much, but I have heard much criticism of her show of late, that all she has is a variety talk show. That's why we added that you should e-mail whoever you think would cover the issue - Emeril, Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray and a CCN show have all been mentioned and I think we would have a better chance with them now that Oprah has changed her show format so much. I don't think it hurts to e-mail everyone you can think of (radio, tv, news media) until we get a break and get someone interested. I am one who believes in perseverance - I've made lots on money in business using it to my advantage. Eventually we will get noticed people - hang in there. George (Nevadan) should be our inspriation with what he got done at the WSJ! He kept at it and eventually got something done! Good luck and happy holidays to all!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I think, this is an awesome idea. My last name starts with G, so it's my turn to go :lol: . I'm still thinking about other things to raise more awareness. I already have a view ideas, but I need help for that. Next year I will join our local celiac support group and maybe get some people into helping.

Speaking about celebrities. I don't wanna be cocky, but I'm in the newspaper again. This time with Ju Jitsu. For some reason they always put pics of me into the papers. Must be my attractiveness. :P Just kidding...

It just came to my mind that,... Well, I think, it would be more effective, if WE ALL would first concentrate on one radio station or television show or whatever and after we made the entire abc, THEN focus onto another show. Because this way not all the hundreds of shows get one letter here and one letter there. This way we "attack" them one by one. And one of them might go for it then :huh: . Yes, it would definitely take longer, but it would be more effective. Maybe, instead of making one letter a week, we could make two letters a week.

Hugs, Stef

Everyone here is on the right track...

I got an idea. Since the deadly peanut kiss death of the couple in Canada. The local Fort Lauderdale newspaper has had all sorts of stuff about food allergies following her death. And the reported numbers of deaths related to food are begining to climb 200+ a year. More then 50 I read someplace else. We all know it's much higher.

My idea is -- each of us write an email to the food, health, or medical section to our local newspapers or radio. Hipe up the WSJ article they will want to report celiac disease, too. I'll find sometime and do it. We'll why not, I sent the WSJ article about celiac disease in my Xmas cards this year.

This is the week for 'G'. If your last name begins with it, e-mail any tv or radie show, or any pulication and ask them to do a story on Celaic Disease. Sorry this is a day late. I was out of town yesterday.

Happy New Year!

nathela Rookie

This is the week for 'G'. If your last name begins with it, e-mail any tv or radie show, or any pulication and ask them to do a story on Celaic Disease. Sorry this is a day late. I was out of town yesterday.

Happy New Year!

My name starts with a G. I will email on Oprah's show. :lol:

teebs in WV Apprentice

I'm late joining in on this, but I just sent a letter to Oprah (I'm a "B"). I think everyone has had great ideas on this topic. I am now going to send letters to CNN, NBC, ABC, and the Food Network. I think that together, we can all make a difference and increase awareness. That is the answer to making our lives more normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I was out of town last week and last week was for the letter H and this week it's I. If your last name begins with either, please e-mail the tv or radio show of your choice and anyone else you think can possibly do a story to increase Celiac Disease awareness. If we all keep politely nagging everyone we can think of, someone will get on board with us. Others have mentioned Rachel Ray and Emeril which I think are also great avenues for us to try.

Happy New Year!

p.s. I just read Stef's post. I agree that we should do two letters a week...so that would be I and J for this week.

• 2 weeks later...

It's J week and I'm sorry this is a late notice again. I am unusually busy for Jan... This topic seems sort of dead but I'm going to stand by committment to get through the whole alphabet. Persistence will pay off eventually. Have a great weekend if anyone reads this!!

teebs in WV --

I will write too. Do you have addresses of the major news media outlets you can post here??

I really think we will have better luck, since the peanut kiss death...

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I think it would be beneficial to write an email to all of the cooks on the food network and places like that. I'm not sure I agree with the comment about Oprah only caring about celebs after her show giving a man who put a child molester behind bars 100,000 bucks....However, I do feel it would be a difficult task to get onto her show. People like Alton Brown, Rachel Ray....those are the people who I think would enjoy taking on the challenge of the gluten free cooking.

Having my degree in journalism and working toward my masters, maybe one day I can be the voice for celiacs out there.......hey, one can dream right?

teebs in WV Apprentice

I don't have any of the addresses - the letter writing that I did was in the form of e-mail. If you go to any of the news organization's websites, they have a "contact us" link that allows you to send them an e-mail.

Ruby Rose Newbie

I've written to Oprah in the past about doing a show on celiac.

At this point, I think Montel would be the one most likely to be interested in addressing our cause, especially because he has MS.

A couple weeks ago I watched the end of an episode of Montel and the psychic, Sylvia Browne, was his guest. One of the audience members asked Sylvia if there was anything she could do to stop having migraine headaches. Sylvia told her to eliminate wheat/gluten from her diet. Montel went on to say how gluten is hidden in processed foods. I wonder if Montel is gluten-free, because I have read that the gluten-free diet can help to alleviate MS symptoms. Also, I've read the celiac can sometimes be misdiagnosed as MS.

jerseyangel Proficient

I e-mailed Montel , I believe, in Nov. I got a conformation that the e-mail was received, but nothing else yet.

badandi2005 Newbie
People like Alton Brown, Rachel Ray....those are the people who I think would enjoy taking on the challenge of the gluten free cooking.

You guys can try, but I know my mother's written to AB about the gluten-free diet and never received a response. Maybe it was only because it was one letter out of what must be many, maybe not.

Archived