102 replies to this topic

#91 mamaathome

mamaathome

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:53 AM

I wrote in when my daughter was first diagnosed, and heard no reply, but I still think it would be the BEST way to educate the world and will write in again! Great idea!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 floridanative

floridanative

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

This is the week for letter O and P. Please note again: I do not care who you choose to pester. I'm not starting a new thread for people who don't want to e-mail Oprah. I myself have started focussing on Dateline (Ann Curry, sister had cancer), 20/20 (John Stossil) and Primetime Live (John Kinjonis, not correct sp). The angle I'm playing is that I'm letting them know that I'm also contacting each of their competitors in hopes that maybe if they don't care about Celiac, they'll care about exposing the hidden epidemic in America - Celiac disease.

BTW - does anyone know the exact title/author of the book I mentioned above? Now I can't find it anywhere.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#93 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:13 PM

This is the link to the Sopranos. you asked for.

The creator is David Chase. Here is the only link I found.

Adrainna got wacked (killed) she had IBS, plenty of episodes about it. I have a feeling they will do a dream segment and bring her back. Every year all the people Tony wacks, come back to haunt him in his dream. He's quite an emotional wreck last seasons ending after everyone is turning on him and he's alone. Carmella tossed him out, but we'll see where it goes. Adriana was a leading character and many of us LOVED HER and are bothered by him wacking her.

REGARDING OPRAH --

Just a NOTE... I don't know if others have found this to be true but I have. People, press, lawyers and doctors don't hold high regard for E-mails. Most don't feel the need to reply. Perhaps we should send snail mail you know the kind with stamps. We can print out form letters that outline celiac disease. And get everyone we know to send it to them so their mail room fills up. They can delete emails, not so easy to tell the mail room guy to dump it all...

#94 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

[quote name='ms_sillyak_screwed' date='Feb 11 2006, 06:13 PM' post='101994']
This is the link to the Sopranos. you asked for.

Adrainna got wacked (killed) she had IBS, plenty of episodes about it. I have a feeling they will do a dream segment and bring her back. Every year all the people Tony wacks, come back to haunt him in his dream. He's quite an emotional wreck last seasons ending after everyone is turning on him and he's alone. Carmella tossed him out, but we'll see where it goes. Adriana was a leading character and many of us LOVED HER and are bothered by him wacking her.

[quote]

Ms. SS--We never saw Adrainna actually killed--just saw the shots fired. I'm holding out hope that somehow she survived. Not too realistic, I know, but one can hope ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#95 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:33 PM

ms_sillyak_screwed has a very good point - it is certainly easier for a producer to delete all our e-mails in an instant. We'd make much more of an impact say if we all agreed to mail a real letter to the show on the same day, yes they'd all arrive on different days but many would arrive each day for a week or so if we would all agree to do it. Problem is that no one much is interested in focussing on Oprah at this point so I don't see the point of maybe 10 of us writing letters.

That said, it's the week for letter Q and R for those of you interested in participating in our media campaign. Please e-mail (or send snail mail) to the show/person of your choice.

#96 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

This week's letter are S and T. Write whoever you want - snail mail or e-mail or both!!

#97 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

I have an idea I'll like to pass on. I welcome your thoughts and feelings.

How about we write to the drug companies... bring to their attention our needs?

How about we write (snail mail) to the "White House"???

GW Bush and the entire Bush family has thyroid problems (thyroid is connected to digestion and celiac disease). I have a feeling GW BUSH has it too... Just a feeling. Remember they changed the White House chef not long ago? The one good things the President Bush did was sign the FDA food labeling law. I think he knows SOY is killing us as a nation, little can be done at this stage until we gang up on food companies and demand SOY free food, just like we are doing about gluten.

Oh and the Sopranos the new season the FBI agent got a parisite lost weight... We need some how to get to David Chase.

#98 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

Just wanted to report I was on a local radio show tonight talking about celiac disease trying to get the word out...

#99 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:51 AM

Ms.SS--How cool! Tell us about it :)
Patti

#100 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:11 AM

Ms.SS--How cool! Tell us about it :)

YES, PLEASE SHARE WITH US
:o :rolleyes: CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT IT.
IS THERE ANYWAY WE CAN HEAR IT?
judy in philly
Judy in Southern CA

#101 teankerbell

teankerbell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

Hi. I just posted this link on the other thread about this:

http://www.oprah.com...tows_main.jhtml

It's the page on Oprah's site for e-mailing the producers.

Gina

Gina,
Your picture is HYSTERICAL!!! LOL

Hi All,

I am in. I will email the Oprah Show. So many people love and watch her and trust her. I live in a Suburb south of the studio in Chicago and I work about 15 minutes away from the studio.

My issues are not as extreme but the whole audience should be celiac disease/GS people!
Laura
Started SCD 3/16/06

Diagnosed by Enterolab 2/06/06
IgA & tTg Positive, Malabsorption negative
HLA-DQB1, 0303 0302
Casein IgA positive
gluten-free 2/8/06
Celiac Blood Panel Normal 2/13/06
Rheumatoid Arthritis 7/05

#102 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Okay here goes -– I was on the way to take a dip in the pool last night and had the radio on. I listen to a FM talk radio station in south Florida. If any of you would like me to post their phone # so you can call in just ask. I found them when in the middle of hurricane Wilma. Callers can talk about all sorts of topics they do have a topic but they welcome you to call in and vent or simply chat about anything.

Last night they were talking about GREEN BEER. I thought what better way to bring up celiac disease but through beer on St Patty’s Day. The radio guy said “Caller what would you like to talk about?” I said, “Green Beer and something called CELIAC SPRUE!” They said what is it? So I said, “It is spelled C-E-L-I-A-C second word S-P-R-U-E it is a life threatening illness for some that has to do with gluten in food and drinks. And for all those listeners tonight out there drinking green beer, or scotch, whiskey and wake-up tomorrow and are sick not from a hangover they might just have a gluten problem too.” He asked “…what type of symptoms?” I said it (oh my God I have to reveal to the world I have steatorrhea diarrhea) for me it is diarrhea and I have seizures too. There are 3 million reported cases and many more millions are un-DX’s in the USA. For some people celiac disease can cause AUTISM, EPILEPSY, DIABETES, ANEMIA, DIARRHEA and it masks itself in many others.”

They asked what is GLUTEN. (One guy knew a good deal about it) I told them bread, pasta, wheat, rye, barley, oats and is in just about everything people eat and drink. We talked about all the alcohols that contain it, I mentioned Vodka is made from rice or potatoes, and wine is okay from grapes.

The radio commentator is smart as all get-out, he knows so much about so many topics or he typed in his news wire and it came up. He said – “Oh, I recall the family in Jupiter, Florida sueing a fast food chain.” He asked me if I eat in fast food resturants. I said “…we’ll yes, only one and I get the grilled chicken fillet
but no bread.” I spoke about cross contamination. How I learned that if the French Fries are fried in the same vat of oil that the chicken tenders or fish sandwish is in it will pose a problem.” Then he said, “Well I think that family sueing won’t have a leg to stand on.” My heart dropped. He went on, and he added “...that the company first said there was no gluten and now they are admitting there is. And the food companies will have to be more truthful now.”

He asked about what people can do about gluten. I told them there is no magic pill. He said, “Not [YET] but there will be. And it must be hard -- doctors they don’t believe patients. But the pharmaceutical companies are who will help in time when they realized the money they will make.” I agreed. We talked about food allergies and one of the otherguys mentioned the peanut kiss and I said yes it was deadly. He said that they found out it wasn’t from the peanuts, I said I did NOT hear that to be true.

I added “I believe grains are bad for us and are killing us as a nation.” He said, “I don’t agree with you. We are an obese nation from eating bad junk food all around.” I told him that he was entitled to his opinion, but if you look at the USA as in a broader picture, that the #1 thing we spend the most money in health care is not, cancer, heart, or other illnesses, it is digestive disorders it tells us we are eating the wrong foods and gains have something to do with it.”

He asked how it interferes with my life. I talked about my seizure and (Oh God here I had to reveal more) loosing control of my bowels. And I said I know your listeners don’t want to her me talk about my diarrhea problem. But that many people have this up to 12 years before they are DX’s with it. They thanked me for the education on the disease and welcomed me to call back and chat anytime.

While I was doing my lapps in the pool I thought of many more things I wished I thought to say. Today I sent daddyO to the library to order me the book about deadly grains. I’m going to read it and call back again armed with more statics
about it and SOY. I am also going to email them with more info about celiac disease this week.

If any of Celiac’s here in cyberspace would like to call in or email them just ask I will post the web site where you can listen to them online they also have a 1-800 # that is good around the country if you would also like address your plight with the disease or things I forgot you mighht know more about.

Well, Oprah is missing out. But little by little we will get the word out…

#103 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

Wow Ms. SS--That was great! Just think of all of the people you educated in that one call. There may have been someone out there who was looking for an answer, and you gave them food for thought. I know that here in NJ, there is a radio station that is all talk on weekdays--when I get up enough nerve, I want to call in and do the same. I hope I don't lose my nerve :ph34r:
And you're right about Oprah <_<
Patti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: