Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Dermatitis Herpetiformis Treatments: What Do You Use?

dermatitis herpetiformis treatment for dh

• Please log in to reply

1 reply to this topic

#1 CTMK3121

CTMK3121

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi everyone!  I am new to this forum as I just discovered I have DH.  I had been diagnosed with a severe case of Herpes Simplex 2 for about 5 years before my doctor performed extensive testing that showed I do NOT have HSV 2.  I had always loved my whole grains, thinking I was eating healthy; little did I know!!  Only a month into my gluten-free diet, I am still having DH symptoms.  I am trying Dapsone for the first time, so we will see how it goes.

The point of this post is to find out what treatment options work for the rashes and blisters, what you have found effective or ineffective.  I would really like to know how other people deal with this ailment in their day to day lives.  

I prefer to use aloe vera directly from the plant.  I have found this to be extremely effective in healing the rashes more quickly.  I also use an rX lidocaine (2.5%) cream which alleviates the itching and burning.  And rX steroid cream applied 2-3 times a day seems to help as well.  I take epsom salt baths and rinse my mouth out with salt water (I get DH orally) which burns but helps heal the lesions faster.  I am one of the unlucky ones who gets the rash in my buttock/genital area (sorry if TMI).   Using the lidocaine and steroid creams mixed with aloe really helps!  

Also, what do you guys tell people who ask about the rash?  Mine tends to resemble a burn in the early stages on my hands, so I just tell them I had a kitchen accident or something.  I wish people would mind their own business, but I realize that the rash looks horrible and people might think it is contagious.  

Thank you for replying to my post!  Bless you all  :rolleyes:

~MK~ :wub: 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

http://www.celiac.co...ing-pain-of-dh/

I am not ashamed of my rash. I tell them the truth. You never know when you will be helping by making someone knowledgable about celiac disease & also about dh.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: