This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can It Be Celiac?

Misscellany

Misscellany Rookie

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome earlier this year, after running several blood tests to figure out a back issue. I was positive for SS-b, ANA and ENA. 

I've been feeling pretty good the last few months, except for the extreme fatigue. I've recently connected it with eating. No matter how much or what I eat I feel like I've been hit by a truck RIGHT AFTER I eat. Only if it's just a bell pepper, I get fatigued. I started Googling food fatigue, and came across Celiac and so many things fit with me.

I moved to the States from Norway when I was 20 years old and I'm currently 33 years old. Ever since I moved over, my stomach has had a hard time adjusting (or that's what I thought), giving me diarrhea and extreme bloating. The diarrhea was so bad I was worried about eating out, especially at Italian restaurants, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to make it to a toilet in time. Most of the time I looked like I was 7 months pregnant, and I am underweight if you consider the BMI standard at 18.2. 

I got pregnant when I was 30 and the diarrhea suddenly stopped. Then I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks...  This entire spring I have had few bowel movements (was up to 12 days in between), but it didn't cause me any discomfort or bloating for some reason. 

I have RLS that I manage by taking 1000 mg Magnesium. I've also has twitching eyelids since November which could be caused by another deficiency. Every single day my eyelids are twitching, even in my sleep. This winter, the twitching would spread throughout my muscles, but it seems to have set on my eyelids now.

I've had fatigue for as long as I can remember. I also have unexplained rashes. I have brain fog all the time. Symptoms that I do not have that seems to be common are headaches and depression. 

Even though I have the blood for Sjogren's, I measured within normal range for the lip biopsy and Schirmer's test. I've also had a low WBC since November, when I did my first blood test.

Here's some of the blood result I've had over the last year, I don't even know if any of these can point to Celiac, but please let me know if something looks familiar:

ccc.webp

bb.webp

aa.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

I'm surprised they didn't run the Celiac panel.  Your IgA level is really low so the blood test for that won't come back accurate. Your IgG levels are ok so that might show something.  I would request an endoscope too.  Did you actually got to Mayo for your testing or did they just send the test to Mayo?  I was at Mayo on 6/20 as well so we may have crossed paths!!

Misscellany Rookie

I was at the NIH for Sjogren's screening, that's probably why they didn't care about Celiac testing. I haven't been back to a doctor after getting these results back but I guess I should. 

Archived