This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going To Work...how?!

tor101

tor101 Newbie

I have been gluten free now for 3 months and yet I feel like at least once every 2 weeks I am calling in sick. Waking up in the morning I never know if I am going to be going into work or not bc I dont know how I am going to feel. I know everyone and my doctors have said the first 6 months to a year are the worst are the worst and things should start getting better - thats great I am looking forward to that BUT how do I tell my boss that?! I have used all my sick/vacation time and I just dont know how much longer people might be understanding about my call ins....

Right now I am sitting on the couch bc I woke up with morning - headache, nausea, diarrhea, foggy brian. I just never know how the day is going to go waking up.

I am also having so much muscle pain in my arms that it was hard to use my mouse at my computer yesterday while I was able to be at work...is this a symptom too!? I DONT KNOW!! 

HOW DO YOU WORK A FULL TIME JOB WITH THIS DISEASE?! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

You  know the  drill  it  will get  better!   Some people  heal faster  than others  some  have  more  damage & heal more  slowly so  honestly no rule of thumb  here.. It  is  just letting the  body  take  care  of  its own  ...... You  can help  by  eating  healthy , non processed foods maybe  also  take out  all dairy  for  a  few  months as well.... Probiotics &  digestive  enzymes  help  so much  ... When  you  are feeding  your  body  eat plain,  good  for you foods.... Fiber  is  great for us  but at a  time  of healing  it  can  make  things  worse if  a  large  amount  is  being  consumed...

Have  you  had  other  blood work  done? iron, B-12 Vit D3, calcium, ferritin, Total CBC,lipid  panel,  thyroid ......

Also  since  you are  new you need to go  back  &  check out  all food  related  items to make  sure  no CC  is  creeping  in on  you... Pots /Pans, wooden plastic, Teflon  cooking  things.. cutting  boards &  so much more   toaster.... these  things  can  make  a  person crazy when  they   don't  feel better  only to find  out  it  was  a  scratched  pan hiding  wheat  crumbs,,,,

You don't  know  yet  how  sensitive  you  will be to gluten  so  also  check out  toothpaste & HBA  items for  gluten... Do you have a  pet? Bird  food, cat/dog  food  can  send  a sensitive  celiac  into  a  panic.. yes, even though you are not  eating  it....

Check out  any meds  you consume too....

Do you  eat  out in  restaurants?  That  could  be  another  way  hidden gluten  is  sneaking  in.....

When  starting  out  a lot  of  regular  /normal  things  may need  to be  cut  out  until  a  healing   has  taken  place  then add  things  back in  slowly ...making  sure  they are gluten-free of  course..... beer/ wine  cause  big  problems .

I  would  speak to your  employer  , explaining  celiac  or  get  a  doctor's  note  for  them...Now days  many  are  understanding....

And  could  you be  also  stressing  yourself  out  about  work? It  is  very  easy to become  overwhelmed  with a  new  lifestyle  of  gluten-free  &  trying  to  live  in two  worlds  while  healing....Being  gluten-free  is not  a  fad  for  a celiac  it  is  a  life  changing  lifestyle  that  we  all  at  some  point  learn to adjust  too.  gluten free  is  our  medicine... No one  likes  this  but  for me  it is  a lot  better  than cancer, chemo, deadly drugs  killing  us  slowly  we  can live  happy & healthy  by  eating  a new  way.....

You can do  this  &  maintain  a  job.........be  happy & healthy......

hugs

Alwayssomething Contributor

I had to apply for FMLA, and that allowed me upto 12 weeks of time off excused by law.  My company didn't pay me for those days but they were available whenever I needed them, and for two years I used some of them.   The second year I believe I only used three days, so the third year I did not apply for them.   This time can also be used for Dr's appts as they relate to your condition.  Not sure where you live but if you are full time this should be availably though your HR department.   

moosemalibu Collaborator

I also applied for intermittent leave with FMLA. I have bad mornings and then come in for partial days every now and then and sometimes miss a day if I am feeling really terrible.  It protects me from any retaliation.

LauraTX Rising Star

Intermittent leave with FMLA is the way to go.  Contact your HR dept ASAP and ask them for the forms you need and if you are FMLA eligible.  They won't pay you for the days off, but it will protect your job so when you get better it is still there. 

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I would talk to your employer, maybe with a Dr's note. I don't know anything about FMLA (I'm in Canadaland), but if your employer is understanding then they should allow some unpaid leave without threatening your job. It's a medical condition. There's not much you can do about it.

I've been gluten-free for 5 years and I still have bad days (sometimes with no clear reason) on average once a month. Thankfully my boss is super understanding, and I still have lots of sick days, but I still feel awful having to take time off because I'm all achy and feel like crud. It is stressful not being able to work when you should be able to.

Good news is that you should be feeling better as time passes and you heal. You might even have more energy that you used to. It's more of an incentive to be extremely cautious with your diet.

Anyway, good luck and speedy healing!

Archived