Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lpellegr

lpellegr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

Rinsing is not recommended for many white rice brands, because the removal of the outer layer that takes it from brown rice to white rice removes a lot of nutrients.  Some rice brands are sprayed with nutrients to put back what was lost, so the package will say "do not rinse before or drain after cooking".  If you do, you lose the added nutrients, but if you have a decent diet and don't live on rice, chances are you'll survive the rinsing.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#18 TammyTE

TammyTE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Interesting about the rinsing. :)

Thankfully my kids all eat pretty well. Lots of good fats and plenty of veggies. I just use rice as a filler to help meals stretch and keep them full. We don't do a lot of gluten-free breads because most of the those have egg and my youngest is allergic to eggs and they are expensive. ;-)  I need to try to do some white potatoes and sweet potatoes so I don't rely on rice so much but rice is just so EASY!

#19 SMRI

SMRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:21 AM

Potatoes are easy too!!  Baked potatoes are as easy as you get, wash, poke a couple holes in them, stick them in the oven.  We are Irish, we eat a lot of potatoes.  We bake, mash, fry, roast, grill, potatoes.  I just made red skinned mashed potatoes the other day.  Easy, easy--clean, cut, boil, mash.  Leave the skins on for those.  I tossed in come garlic and added some sour cream and cream cheese but usually I just make them plain.  I always make enough for leftovers so you can get 2 or 3 meals out of one cooking.  If I make baked potatoes, I make several extra to use over the next couple days for making hash browns, potato skins or just warming up them up again.

#20 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

One go to for me is oven baked homemade fries. :)

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: