#1 LadyLuckNoDoubt

LadyLuckNoDoubt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi Friends!

I have been gluten free for 2+ years but don't have a formal diagnosis because every time I go to the doctor, they want to test for everything else, or imply that maybe this is all in my head and I am so frustrated I could burst.

When I eat gluten, I get all the symptoms up to and especially nausea, joint pain, anxiety, muscle weakness, headaches, and brain fog. I've been to a gastroenterologist, and allergist, and my GP, and they all sort of throw up their hands and say they don't know what is causing it. Yes, I have had skin tests for all sorts of allergies, nothing came up. No, I have not had blood tests or biopsies. Symptoms were pretty well controlled on gluten-free diet, but now I seem to be reacting to corn as well and since it is getting worse, I need to see someone. I live in San Francisco. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

Welcome

They may be throwing up their hands because they can't test you for Celiac if you have been gluten-free for 2 years?  At this point, you have to decide if you really want to go back to eating gluten to be tested.  If you are happy eating gluten-free and feel certain that gluten is an issue.....maybe you don't need to find a doctor to test you for Celiac Disease?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 LadyLuckNoDoubt

LadyLuckNoDoubt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi! Thanks for res

Welcome

They may be throwing up their hands because they can't test you for Celiac if you have been gluten-free for 2 years?  At this point, you have to decide if you really want to go back to eating gluten to be tested.  If you are happy eating gluten-free and feel certain that gluten is an issue.....maybe you don't need to find a doctor to test you for Celiac Disease?

Thanks for responding! I know that my testing options may be limited given that I will not, under any circumstances reintegrate gluten into my life. The consequences are far too painful. But my need for a doctor - and I am sorry that this was not clear - has more to do with the fact that I am still experiencing some symptoms. My gut it as my joints still get majorly inflamed. I don't know if maybe I am eating something contaminated or if I've developed a new allergy. There are so many unanswered questions that start with, but by no means end with the celiacs.

What I am really looking for is a doctor who understands celiacs  and who is able to help diagnose and treat the remaining symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: