This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Experience With Bone Broth For Healing Gut?

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Hi everyone! I've been so frustrated with my ongoing digestive problems, that I started to really consider drinking/eating bone broth, as I've heard it is really great for the digestive tract. I found a company that makes their own brand, that you can order online and I'm really interested in trying it. They go into detail about the process/ingredients and it matches every description I've found online. I don't want to make my own for a variety of reasons, one of course being that I don't believe I would make it the right way due to inexperience. They say their broth has been used by GAPS clients and others just looking for ultimate health benefits, and they seem to have a lot of good reviews.

Open Original Shared Link

I want to try it, but I was wondering first if anyone had their own positive/negative experiences with this. I know Gottaski mentioned that it is very good for healing the gut, which made me even more interested...but I was just curious if anyone else has any other testimonials. Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

There was someone on here a few years ago that made her own and thought it was great.  I think its really pretty easy to make & can be made in a crockpot.  

Let me see if I can find her posts.

Sorry, I am not finding it right now.  You could go to the main page and use the google function to find some posts about it.  If you use the little "gear" you can chooses "as posts" which is easier to read.

GottaSki Mentor

Hi!

Not sure I was clear. The GAPs protocol has helped many with digestive problems.

Since you have mentioned having issues with many foods as well as ongoings symptoms....I think bone broth and /or regular homemade broth will be easy on your system, but would not expect its use to heal your gut. Only time along with avoidance of all items that irritate your system can heal the damage of celiac disease.

See the difference:

Good food for a healing gut....

Rather than...

It will heal a gut.

I still believe broth...either bone or regular is an excellent food for those that are not improving with strict gluten removal of more than six months.

Thank you Kareng! I'll look into it. :) 

Gottaski, oops! Sorry for the confusion. I might have mixed up what you said in your response with some of the information I've been reading online about it. There are a lot of claims that it can heal an ailing gut - mostly talking about candida or leaky gut rather than celiac disease. I'm pretty sure my digestive issues now are due to the candidiasis. The GAPS diet is promoted for healing for a lot of issues, but I don't think I'd tolerate many of the phases well due to other food intolerances, so I was thinking of just trying the bone broth in hopes that it might help with digestive problems. It does seem like it has a lot of health benefits.

GottaSki Mentor

Thank you Kareng! I'll look into it. :)

Gottaski, oops! Sorry for the confusion. I might have mixed up what you said in your response with some of the information I've been reading online about it. There are a lot of claims that it can heal an ailing gut - mostly talking about candida or leaky gut rather than celiac disease. I'm pretty sure my digestive issues now are due to the candidiasis. The GAPS diet is promoted for healing for a lot of issues, but I don't think I'd tolerate many of the phases well due to other food intolerances, so I was thinking of just trying the bone broth in hopes that it might help with digestive problems. It does seem like it has a lot of health benefits.

Great!

and I do think Bone or Regular Broth are excellent food choices for those struggling to heal :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Bone broth is ridiculously easy to make and better than any processed stocks. It will not heal your gut miraculously, but it does aid in digestion and is

a good source of collagen, glucosamine, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus  and, they are in a form that is easily absorbed by the body. 

here's an easy recipe, with instructions and pictures:

Thanks! That does seem like a fairly easy recipe. I do plan on cooking more and trying out new recipes, so maybe once I have a pressure cooker I will look into this. Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Thanks! That does seem like a fairly easy recipe. I do plan on cooking more and trying out new recipes, so maybe once I have a pressure cooker I will look into this. Thanks again!

Its a crockpot... $20 or less  at Walmart  :D

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I haven't bought the brand you mentioned, but I do make my own broth.  I just put the chicken bones back in to crockpot and cook overnight.  If I think of it I also toss some vegetables in.  In the morning I run it through a strainer and the broth is delicious.  I used some broth to nourish me when I had colonoscopy prep and my blood test afterward showed improvement in hydration also I had enough nutrients after a day of   liquid diet!  I also didn't feel as hungry as I expected to be when I fasted using this. 

Whether it is a miracle cure for anything, I don't know, but I do feel that it can be used as a nourishing addition to the diet.  When I had some days without appetite, I just had broth and coconut milk shakes.  I felt much better afterward as some healing had taken place.  I often wish I could see what is going on within that gut, but haven't figured it out how to yet.

I hope you will be healing up.

Dee

Thanks everyone! This is why I try to come on here and ask people their personal experience/input. It's hard to decipher what's true and what isn't. At first the idea of bone broth sounded disgusting (I'm not a big meat eater - I only eat boneless grilled chicken) but now it sounds pretty good! I'll definitely look into it. And that looks like a nice crockpot, Karen! Lol. I'm going to turn into a great chef whether I want to or not :P

Archived