Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Carbohydrate Sensitivity Or Fat Sensitivity?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 BarryC

BarryC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

Since being totally gluten free for almost a month, I have a reduction in most of the other side effects except for the bloating. As I understand it, the compromised digestive system will have a hard time digesting either fats or carbs, maybe both, until the villi grow back (very simplified).

I tried eating low fat for a week and felt no difference. This week I went low carb, except for some gluten free bread for my lunch sandwhich. I noticed I had much less bloating. I am a light eater, with the usual day being a bowl of cereal for breakfast, sandwhich for lunch, and meat and potato for supper. I would start getting gas buildup in the morning, which would increase after lunch until it was almost unbearable. Then I had To lay down after supper.Cutting back the carbs, especially early in the day, sure helped me. Anyone else notice this effect? 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

I have had this effect.  I thought that it was from a decrease in cc from gluten-free grains, but it could have been a problem with carbs.  Since that time I discovered EPI and digestive enzymes and I'm reconsidering.

#3 rrmac

rrmac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I have had this effect.  I thought that it was from a decrease in cc from gluten-free grains, but it could have been a problem with carbs.  Since that time I discovered EPI and digestive enzymes and I'm reconsidering.

Hi I am curious what is EPI and can you tell me what kind of digestive enzymes you are taking?

I have been using Pancreatin I think that they are helping but I don't take then all the time as i usual don't eat a big meal.

Thanks Diane

PS I also have a problem digesting carbs.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

Hi I am curious what is EPI and can you tell me what kind of digestive enzymes you are taking?

I have been using Pancreatin I think that they are helping but I don't take then all the time as i usual don't eat a big meal.

Thanks Diane

PS I also have a problem digesting carbs.

EPI is exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.

I take Country Life Zyme aid.  They have a gluten-free facility.  I tried prescription enzymes first, but had an apparent gluten reaction to them.  I am very sensitive.

http://www.celiac.co... +insufficiency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: