2 replies to this topic

#1 AlexandarZ

AlexandarZ

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

I've had celiac for about 4 years now and I've been following a strict gluten free diet, but whenever I go out drinking or something like that the next day i usually plan to stay home because i get stomach aches and stuff. Now I'm about to go Sydney (Australia) for a festival and I'm planning on having a bender and I'm wondering how I should deal with my stomach aches. Sometimes i'd drink alcohol and get a real bad stomach ache where i can't be too far from the toilet and other times i drink and i don't even get a stomach ache at all. I normally drink henessy and jim beam spirits. 

What do you guys think i should drink? Is there any sort of medication that can stop these stomach aches? And i was also wondering about spirits, gluten free beers and ciders? What can and can't I drink? 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

I drink about  everything except beer and bourbon.  Never had any problems with sake, scotch, wines, gin, vodka etc etc. 

I also  dont drink on an empty stomach.  Usually opt for a bunch of steamed veggies at the local chinese place.

You might want to make sure you  dont have some  sort of allergic reaction to the alcohol itself.  Enjoy the bender!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 jddh

jddh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

I find that if I drink on an empty stomach, next morning I'll have symptoms identical to getting glutened. Similar effect if I drink a lot of cider or other "complex" alchohol, as opposed to say vodka.

It it were me, I would load up on a full, balanced dinner, get a full glass of water down between drinks, and make sure I can sleep late. But maybe that takes away from it being a bender ;)

33 y/o male

Celiac and proud since 2007 - endoscopy/biopsy

Strict gluten-free diet since diagnosis

Symptoms returning despite diet Aug 2014

Tentative diagnosis of refractory type 2 Oct 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: