8 replies to this topic

#1 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:13 AM

Welp been eating gluten (posion) daily now since Stepember 10th, and sporadicly in the weeks leading up to that. Been eating 2 slices of whole wheat bread+ 2 servings of Kroger Shredded Maple Bronw Sugar Mini-Wheat daily the whole time. I must say that even if the test comes back negative, Im going gluten-free. I fee as bad now as I did before going on my Low-carb diet years ago and lost that surplus 50 pounds. My visit is schedualed for Nov 20th, but I might bump it up. Reading from this site I found this under the FAQ:

How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful?

Vijay Kumar, M.D., Research Associate Professor at the University of Buffalo and President and Director of IMMCO Diagnostics: There is no simple answer to this question as the susceptibility of the patient to developing celiac disease is dependent upon several factors. One factor is the amount of gluten intake. Another is the genetic makeup of the individual. However, we feel that several weeks of gluten intake, especially in doses of 2 gm gluten/day, should result in positive serology in patients with celiac disease.

I should alreay be well passed that by my count! So dunno.....

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:40 AM

Good luck with the testing. All of my tests came back neg, but I went gluten-free over the summer. I've had occasional "cheats" when going out, but nothing too major. ANYWAY- Last week, I bought a loaf of french bread... :P my non-celiac kids and I ate it thoroughly buttered. It was so good. I had the WORST brain fog for two days. It started about two days after I ate the bread. It was so crazy. PLUS, I had that horrible endo pain in my lower back again. This hasn't happened anytime we "cheated". I figured it was because we're not actually celiac. I guess it's possible for gluten to hurt anyone's body. Maybe more so if you're gluten free for an extended period of time??? I don't know the answer. I only know I had a major issue concentrating for about two days and the pain was unbearable in my back. I think it was the gluten. I know I can't deal with that kind of brain fog and parent. It's too much. I'm still surprised it was that bad, but I have no other health issues to connect these symptoms with. It had to be due to the gluten I ate. I'm multi-tasking just fine now.
I believe in God.

#3 jmfrisch

jmfrisch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:25 AM

I had the WORST brain fog for two days.  It started about two days after I ate the bread.  It was so crazy.  PLUS, I had that horrible endo pain in my lower back again. 

This is the best way I have ever heard what I get explained. But...after 2 negative blood test, a negative biopsy when I was young, and now.....a negative DNA test, I am at a loss what to do. I have been gluten-free for over 3 years now, and when I go back on gluten, or just eat out, I get migranes, "brain fog", headaches, unbelievable lower back pain so bad I can't sleep at all, irritable etc etc etc. What is it if in ain't celiac :-(
If I start eating bread again I will live a life popping pain killers I think.

Or are the DNA they are looking for just not sufficient....

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:47 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think you may have your answer there. Do you feel better on the diet? If you do don't worry too much about what the tests say and stay gluten free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:12 AM

I agree with Raven- if you feel good, keep eating gluten-free. You're not denying your body of any important nutrients like essential amino acids or anything. Your body is telling you something isn't right when you eat gluten. It's just that the tests aren't sophisticated enough yet to tell what is wrong. Listen to your body and keep it happy!
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:18 AM

Just an update... I ordered the York Labs at home 10min instand celiac disease test. :) Now I jsut pace around (near the toliet) and wiat for it to arrive!

- Vincent -

#7 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:21 AM

This is the best way I have ever heard what I get explained. But...after 2 negative blood test, a negative biopsy when I was young, and now.....a negative DNA test, I am at a loss what to do. I have been gluten-free for over 3 years now, and when I go back on gluten, or just eat out, I get migranes, "brain fog", headaches, unbelievable lower back pain so bad I can't sleep at all, irritable etc etc etc. What is it if in ain't celiac :-(
If I start eating bread again I will live a life popping pain killers I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I can tell you is I'm relieved I'm not the only one experiencing this. I went gluten-free awhile back because of the extreme lower back pain that was dxed as endometriosis. I figured if no one knew what the hell caused endo and my son has celiac.... it might just help. It did. 100% pain free for the first time in a year+. Then I went back to gluten. Had a good month. Pain returned. I read Dangerous Grains, went gluten-free again. Had bit of gluten here and there with no problem. It was that loaf of french bread that tipped the scales.
I believe in God.

#8 jmfrisch

jmfrisch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

I was the same; couldn't bear the pain in the end. Tried going off coffee as a last attempt (didn't want to go gluten-free) but that didn't help. Doctors told me to drink more water..that didn't help either.

I just with I could get a definite answer on what is going on. I have had all tests possible now and still get all give negative. My father is a very sensitive celiac, by sister has the same symptons as me...I need an answer...just to tell me it isn't all in my head
:(

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:46 PM

Vydor-Good luck with testing and let us know as soon as you find out something...glad to hear you were at least some better while on the diet.

Jmfrisch-the DNA is pretty good but the only thing is a small percentage of people do not have either of the main genes(DQ2,DQ8) Most have one of those but not all. Also not all of the celiac genes are identified yet. Just listen to your body:)
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: