This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Sensitivity - Post gluten-free

jdaily

jdaily Newbie

Today will mark my 9th day of going gluten free. 100% gluten free, I check all labels of everything I eat or season with and If I'm not sure, I don't eat it. My results have been amazing so far: 
- No stomach issues/bloating since last Wednesday when it was only a little sore 
- No migraines since last Thursday. I still have some small, tolerable headaches but that could be from the massive amounts of excedrin/Imitrex I was using to make it through the day as I haven't had any Imitrex in 5 days and my OTC intake is down drastically. 
- A lot more energy and no major slumps throughout the day 

My only issue that I'm currently experiencing is some sinus pressure/fogginess due to the allergies & still alot of muscle aches. I am blaming allergies since I wake up with puffy, itchy eyes and a stuffy nose. 

So my question is, what else can I expect to improve? Will even the slight headaches go away? Will my sinus issues go away or would they have already disappeared? Do things ever get better and then return after going gluten-free, even with no gluten intake?

I read that a lot of the time it takes at least 21 days to start feeling better. 

Any success stories or amount of time it took for you to feel better would be great to hear!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi Jdaily and Welcome to the Forum.

21 Days?????  I'm going on two years and still have small improvements in my health.  I would give yourself AT LEAST 6 months to judge what may improve and what may not or just take longer.  Also, it depends on if your are Celiac or NCGI or gluten-free just for your health.  Since Celiac is an autoimmune disease, many autoimmune symptoms may improve.  It's really different for everyone.

Be patient.  If you've chosen the gluten-free diet for health reason....it is for life.  

Good Luck.

Colleen

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome to the forum!  Great to see you are getting immediate improvements.  I have a feeling you will see more things go away over time that you didn't realize were there to go away in the first place.  Just takes a good bit of time.  :)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Hi!  :) You are in a great place, I've found this forum to be a real source of support and encouragement. I would encourage you to read the Newbie 101 and make sure that you have a handle on the basics like cross contamination and what ingredients are safe or unsafe.

I went gluten free 4 1/2 years ago and just this year I've tightened up my diet in some areas and become more strict in avoiding cross contamination and advocating for myself, thanks to the support from this board. I think that my health is now better than it has been in years and some of my last symptoms (some that I had pretty much accepted that I would have to live with) are now going away. It only gets better from here! It's a gateway to a healthier and a better life. Being G.F. is hard, but for those of us whose health depends on it, it sure beats the alternative.

Welcome to the board! 

jdaily Newbie

thank you all for your kind words and encouragement :) I only look forward to the future and any additional relief I might see from going gluten-free

coffeechat Newbie

Hi!  :) You are in a great place, I've found this forum to be a real source of support and encouragement. I would encourage you to read the Newbie 101 and make sure that you have a handle on the basics like cross contamination and what ingredients are safe or unsafe.

I went gluten free 4 1/2 years ago and just this year I've tightened up my diet in some areas and become more strict in avoiding cross contamination and advocating for myself, thanks to the support from this board. I think that my health is now better than it has been in years and some of my last symptoms (some that I had pretty much accepted that I would have to live with) are now going away. It only gets better from here! It's a gateway to a healthier and a better life. Being G.F. is hard, but for those of us whose health depends on it, it sure beats the alternative.

Welcome to the board! 

Hi I am newly diagnosed with celiac and have been gluten free to the best of my ability for 1 month.  I do not know much about cross contamination and wonder if it is okay to even eat out in a restaurant.  am a little fear based as I was sick for over 1 yr before undergoing diagnose.  This is the most helpful site and am glad that I came across it.

cap6 Enthusiast

9 days is a wonderful start and congratulations on the start to healing.  Things heal in time.  Try to keep that in mind.  The older you are and the sicker you were can result in a longer healing time.  As the months go by you should feel better and better but you may not heal completely for a long time.  I am at 4.5 years and doing great but it took to the 2 year mark before I felt like I could say my gut was really really healing.  You didn't get sick in only 21 days....you won't get well in only 21 days! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived