This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need A Soy And Gluten Free Ibuprofin

John Burlingame

John Burlingame Explorer

I just found out I'm have to be gluten free and just recently narrowed down that soy was wreaking havoc on my system as well. I have swelling from a tooth ache and am in need of Ibuprofen for swelling. I took two Advil and felt like I poisoned myself. I called the Manufacture, and they stated that all pills made by Advil had some sort of soy in it. ugggg. I have not had fast-food in a month. That was an interesting withdrawal I was not expecting. All my food is prepped at home from scratch, finding out almost anything in a jar or box has soy or gluten in it. I remember the first day I felt it, 6 years ago. I thought I had a stroke. Nope that was soy and gluten letting me know I was allergic. 6 years I felt like crap, and it was only getting worse, up until a month ago I was on a fast tack to shooting myself. I saw a show about gluten on cable show, and cried, fit most of my symptoms.

Fog,Aniaxiaty,Panic attacks,my gut turns into knots. feel sick and out of touch with everything. Sort term memory was all but almost destroyed. Most doctors looked at me like I was a head case. my family and friends just kinda knew I was the son or friend that was always sick. I lost my Business because of it.

It has been hit an miss on products,Ive had reactions to all kinds of stuff that say there gluten free, even with the soy not in the ingredients. I have to do a Veg wash on all my fruits and Veggies to get the Soy wax off of it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Maybe a compounding pharmacy can help?

John Burlingame Explorer

Just got off the phone with Motrin, All there products are not tested for gluten or soy or anything else for cross-contamination at the end of the line. So No Advil, No Motrin. Help

John Burlingame Explorer

Maybe a compounding pharmacy can help?

I have talked to one, they said I need a script, not actually having any money for a script

kareng Grand Master

I merged the two topics together as they are about the same thing.

John Burlingame Explorer

I merged the two topics together as they are about the same thing.

ok, Im new. just trying to sort it out. thanks.

John Burlingame Explorer

I did find a gluten free Ibuprofen made by up and up at target, doesn't say its soy free, I called target, and I'm having them contact the manufacture to make sure if there is any soy in there process. Figured if they can at-least put the gluten free on there, maybe Ill get a strait answer on the soy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I have an intolerance to corn as well as an aspirin allergy. That left Tylenol as my only choice but I had to have it made at a compounding pharmacy to avoid the corn. I went to the free clinic for the prescription so I saved the cost of a doctor's visit, but it still costs 37 dollars for what would be a two dollar bottle at the store.

How do you do with aspirin? It is the original anti-inflammatory. You might be able to find aspirin without soy. I'm pretty sure none of it has gluten.

Another alternative would be grape seed extract. It has anti-inflammatory effects.

linen53 Rookie

I just found out I'm have to be gluten free and just recently narrowed down that soy was wreaking havoc on my system as well. I have swelling from a tooth ache and am in need of Ibuprofen for swelling. I took two Advil and felt like I poisoned myself. I called the Manufacture, and they stated that all pills made by Advil had some sort of soy in it. ugggg. I have not had fast-food in a month. That was an interesting withdrawal I was not expecting. All my food is prepped at home from scratch, finding out almost anything in a jar or box has soy or gluten in it. I remember the first day I felt it, 6 years ago. I thought I had a stroke. Nope that was soy and gluten letting me know I was allergic. 6 years I felt like crap, and it was only getting worse, up until a month ago I was on a fast tack to shooting myself. I saw a show about gluten on cable show, and cried, fit most of my symptoms.

Fog,Aniaxiaty,Panic attacks,my gut turns into knots. feel sick and out of touch with everything. Sort term memory was all but almost destroyed. Most doctors looked at me like I was a head case. my family and friends just kinda knew I was the son or friend that was always sick. I lost my Business because of it.

It has been hit an miss on products,Ive had reactions to all kinds of stuff that say there gluten free, even with the soy not in the ingredients. I have to do a Veg wash on all my fruits and Veggies to get the Soy wax off of it.

My story is similar.  The fog, feeling drained, body aches, etc. for years.  I must have been gluten intolerant for years before the symptoms started showing.  At least now, I know.  Got tested at the doctors (blood test) and it came back negative.  I've done the research and found that I would have to do a gluten challenge for 12 weeks and then be tested.  No way.  That would be 12 weeks of torture.  I know if I stay gluten free, I am healthy.

John Burlingame Explorer

My story is similar.  The fog, feeling drained, body aches, etc. for years.  I must have been gluten intolerant for years before the symptoms started showing.  At least now, I know.  Got tested at the doctors (blood test) and it came back negative.  I've done the research and found that I would have to do a gluten challenge for 12 weeks and then be tested.  No way.  That would be 12 weeks of torture.  I know if I stay gluten free, I am healthy.

I talked with my doctor, he said the test was hit or miss. I was better of trying the diet and see how I felt. To my surprise things turned from a horrible place to a really enjoyable life. I was still having issues. And it took about two weeks to figure out it was the soy as well. I had no Idea that soy could be an issue.

linen53 Rookie

I talked with my doctor, he said the test was hit or miss. I was better of trying the diet and see how I felt. To my surprise things turned from a horrible place to a really enjoyable life. I was still having issues. And it took about two weeks to figure out it was the soy as well. I had no Idea that soy could be an issue.

Our foods are so full of these products.  I wish you well on your journey.  I have just started mine a few months ago and am on "the learning curve" but happy to be feeling human.

SMRI Collaborator

Actually, the tests are very accurate, but not everyone that has a sensitivity to gluten is Celiac...and that is the "hit or miss" part.  The only reason to do the testing would be if you needed the official diagnosis for something though.

As for your need for a pain reliever, call your doctor, often they will send in a prescription order without needing an appointment, especially for something like this.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

OP, have you tried clove oil for your toothache? I used that after my wisdom tooth extraction.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

This is interesting. I'm also soy-intolerant, and ibuprophene is my go-to drug. I usually take a generic brand. I've never had any trouble with it at all. Also have never noticed a problem when taking Advil, but it's possible the formulas are different in the US than in Canada? I guess I will have to look at the ingredients again. I'm pretty sensitive to soy, but never had a problem.

It might have to do with the coating on regular Advil, which isn't always on generic brands.

Let us know what you find out!

notme Experienced

i am also soy intolerant, and i have no problem taking generic ibuprofen.  i get the kroger brand, which says 'gluten free' right on the packaging.  i have no idea what else is or isn't in it, i just know i get zero reaction from it.  the body don't lie ;)  it would let me know, in a harsh manner!   :)

Adalaide Mentor

Just got off the phone with Motrin, All there products are not tested for gluten or soy or anything else for cross-contamination at the end of the line. So No Advil, No Motrin. Help

I'd like to point out that you are going to get this from nearly every drug manufacturer. Few (if any) test their final product for gluten or other food based allergy ingredients. The ones who will say something is gluten free generally do so by knowing exactly what is going into it. CC in a factory that makes drugs is far more unlikely than anywhere else you could possibly encounter it. The risk of death to people who get CC'd by a drug they are allergic to or something that interacts with other medications is too high for these companies to take risks like that. You'll generally get a CYA statement from drug companies. "We don't put any gluten containing ingredients in it, but don't test the final product either, so for this reason we consider the drug gluten free but don't make any specific gluten free claim." Or some such similar thing. And you'll probably get the same about soy in phone calls. Make the calls, by all means, but that is as good as it gets outside of going to a compounding pharmacy where, lets face it, there is just as much risk of CC.

Archived