This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Ever Break Down And Eat Gluten Every Once In A While?

supersquatchy

supersquatchy Apprentice

I figured out that I probably have celiac at the beginning of the year. I am undiagnosed, my blood test came back negative (I had already been gluten free for a week.. I don't know if that's long enough to affect anything) and my doctor never sent me in for a biopsy. Since going gluten free.. nearly all of my problems have resolved. I had missed so much school (I'm 18) due to just plain feeling unwell.. stomach aches, nausea, migraines, general fatigue.. and no fever. It was the same thing every time.. as well as a whole array of other things in general. I am convinced that I have celiac disease (it runs in my family too) and will probably never go back to eating gluten.

That being said... Do you ever just have ONE day where you NEED to eat that amazing looking cake? I have never deliberately eaten anything containing gluten since going gluten free. I did accidentally consume a microscopic amount at a restaurant yesterday though.. I think.. because I've been feeling sort of unwell, stomach achey, and sleepy all day. If a tiny amount of gluten does that to me.. would I be violently ill if I were to eat.. say.. a bowl of actual pasta? 

There is this one dessert at California Pizza Kitchen that I want to have again.. at least one more time in my life. Butter cake. Or... I would love to have Bertucci's alfredo... or hell, I'd like to be able to go out to dinner with people one night and not even think about what I'm ordering and if the kitchen is safe and if that item listed as gluten free is REALLY gluten free or not! 

Has anyone ever caved since going gluten free? What did you eat? How sick did you feel the next day? Was it worth it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Has anyone ever caved since going gluten free? 

Nope.  But I have never felt the need to eat any other type of poison either.   :lol:

supersquatchy Apprentice

Nope.  But I have never felt the need to eat any other type of poison either.   :lol:

Very good point  :lol:

mamaw Community Regular

You  are  young... ask for  a  biopsy &  scope... But  yes,  you need to be  consuming  lots  of  gluten   for the  test to be  accurate.....and  on  the  other hand  you  could be  ncgs  &  no test  for  that  just  an elimination  diet.......

I  find  it  odd  that  you feel so much better  but  would  think about  eating  gluten  again...  all the  things  you  said  you  wanted  one more time  in this life  you  can make  yourself  gluten-free  of  course..... honestly  there  is not  much  left in this world  that  can't  be  made gluten-free... And  yes  tasty & yummy to boot!!!

wants  & needs  are two  separate  things, wants  usually get  people into  trouble!!!!!! ie:  one  bite  of  gluten ,  sick for  days or  longer..... one or  two  drink could  lead  to  one  accident,  be  it  an  auto accident  or  baby  in  the belly.....  none  are  worth  the  little  pleasure .......

And  the  old  saying: " once a  cheater  always  a  cheater"""" gluten free  can  be  expensive  so  if  your  not 100%  24/7  may as well not  waste  your  hard  earned  cash...

chocominties Rookie

People ask me this occasionally and the answer is always, "No."  I have not knowingly ingested gluten in the last 4-5 years. 

Of course there are plenty of things I would love to eat.  Strangely, Pizza Hut pan pizza is near the top of the list, since most gluten-free pizzas are just thin crust.  I want that oily, chewy crust that holds up to being reheated later.  Mmm.  And pie!  You rarely find gluten free pie or cheesecake, or things that are mostly gluten free except for the pesky crust. 

But it's not worth intestinal bleeding.  I spent nearly 20 years of my life being sicker than sick, and cutting out gluten was the magic spell that solved my intestinal bleeding problems.  Only you can decide if "cheating" is worth the pain.  For me it isn't.  At all. 

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL :D

Me too. Never done it.  Part of that reason is that I have the type of "all or nothing" personality that wouldn't do well with just one cheat.... It could be a slippery slope.

supersquatchy Apprentice

I would probably never do it.. I just think about it sometimes because I DO miss those foods! I think it's the hardest when I go somewhere.. visiting my boyfriend at college for example.. and they have all of this amazing food that is being served that smells SO good and the gluten free section is just a fridge filled with some gluten free breads and muffins. The worry is such a pain too. I get glutened now and then because people don't really know how serious the issue is for me. It really sucks to KNOW that when you go somewhere.. or even at home because not everyone in the household is very careful.. that you're going to feel crappy afterwards. I guess I'm just wishing that I didn't have this.. but I clearly do. 

As far as the biopsy goes... sure.. I think about eating gluten sometimes (never would).. but I would NOT do that to myself for six weeks straight. The doctors that I have seen more recently have agreed that it isn't worth it either and to just remain gluten free.

Oh well.. I can always fantasize about it lol  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

When I was a newly diagnosed celiac and didn't seem to have severe repercussions... I'd not stress about possible glutenings and even scarfed down a huge, thick slice of gluteny bread once. I probably was seriously glutened about 4 times in the next 10 years w/ increasing severity of symptoms.

10+ years later... I would never, ever, ever, EVER think about putting gluten in my mouth. My last glutening was so horrible... I'm a fanatic about knowing what goes in my mouth.

LauraTX Rising Star

If you had mild symptoms from some possible CC... I predict Anal Armageddon if you go for that cake.... LOL.  (That is how we say "D" in our house...haha)  On the flip side, if you like rich chocolate cake, pick up a King Arthur Flour gluten-free cake mix, bake it, and top it with some home made chocolate ganache. (Just chocolate melted into cream, two ingredients, super easy and OMG delicious).  I have fed that cake to gluten eaters more than once and fooled them all.  Muahahahahahahhh!

I have never cheated.  I think it is natural to think about that cake or donut sometimes.  Humans are wired to always have the "grass is greener" thoughts, in a way.  For a while at the start I thought that maybe someday I would just go crazy eventually and eat the donut shop out of business, but now that I have really settled into the reality of life as a Celiac, the second I start salivating over something, I think about what would go bad.  I also think that if I ate that real pizza, all gluten-free pizza would taste even more like crap to me after I got that taste back into my mouth.  So, I don't want to ruin myself.

But yes, I do dream about gluteny donuts... 

nvsmom Community Regular

If you had mild symptoms from some possible CC... I predict Anal Armageddon if you go for that cake.... LOL.  (That is how we say "D" in our house...haha)  

LMAO   :lol:

Dugudugu Rookie

Imho all the hassle that comes with eaten a piece of food containing gluten, the recovering and the sickness, it's not worth it.

psawyer Proficient

Imho all the hassle that comes with eaten a piece of food containing gluten, the recovering and the sickness, it's not worth it.

My thinking, too.
BLM44 Newbie

I've only been gluten-free for 2 months. (I was diagnosed with Celiac in July.)  I was accidentally glutened this past weekend.  It was horrible. We went out to eat and I "thought" I had all my bases covered.  I missed the marinade for the chicken I ordered ----- it had soy sauce in it.  Within 15 minutes I was feeling sick.  Thank God we made it home in time!  After this past weekend, I will be investigating EVERY food I eat outside of my home. 

I haven't intentionally eaten gluten since being diagnosed.  I miss old foods, but I haven't been tempted to eat them purposefully.  The doctor told me "no gluten" so I KNOW I can't have it.  I really wish I had this good self-control & restraint in other areas of my life, as I do over the no gluten rule.  :)

bartfull Rising Star

I used to think if I were diagnosed with a terminal illness and knew I only had three weeks to live, I would start eating doughnuts and the like. But now I realize I would rather put those three weeks to good use by going to my favorite places and enjoying the view, playing all of my favorite songs on the guitar and the banjo, enjoying quality time with friends, and finding a good home for my cat. I wouldn't be able to do any of those things from the bathroom.

So now I know that the only way I would eat gluten would be if I were convicted of murder and they were going to serve me my last meal before execution. Then I could not only enjoy all of my old favorite foods, but also have the last laugh on the executioner - he'd be the one who would have to clean up the mess! :lol:

SMRI Collaborator

I have to say..they had Krispy Kreme donuts at our meetings last week.....they sure were tempting...but I didn't want to be in the bathroom all day....

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I was also tempted by my old favorites initially.  After awhile that food lost it's appeal.  You get new favoritie things to eat.  Things get better.

Bird2030 Newbie

I have been diagnosed for 10 months and I did intentionally consume gluten one time a couple months in... It was my daughters high school graduation. The only thing she wanted was to go to tempanyaki for dinner. It issued to be our thing. I did i, and did feel bad for a couple of days. Once I found out the chronic inflamation can lead to different cancers.... I can't put gluten in my mouth.

fetchfelix Rookie

It would probably be a lot easier if I felt ill eating gluten, but as I don't notice any difference its difficult to get used to. Every hour Im thinking of more and more things I can't eat. Yes its easy to say focus on the things you can, and I know those desires and cravings will go away but its still a loss........places we can't go anymore, favorite treats & places to eat out. I understand gluten is a poison to me, as is sugar. Getting off sugar is very difficult too. Trying to get off both will take time, and extra planning. I know in the long run it will be easier, but it will mean a lot of planning and a lot of will power resisting donuts and pizzas at staff meetings and the like. Im sure its a lot easier if you get sick right after eating stuff like that, but I never had. The only reason I was tested is because my son was diagnosed, so its quite a mind frick. I've literally had nightmares about it the last 2 nights.........

Felix

NoWhammies Newbie

I don't have much trouble staying away from gluten because the repercussions are so swift and unpleasant. For me, it's served as a form of conditioning. I'm sort of the opposite of Pavlov's dogs. They salivate when a bell rings. I feel sick when I think about eating gluten. I also have a casein allergy, and that one is a bit tougher for me because the repercussions are less intense than gluten, and I love dairy products so, so much. So I'm more tempted to cheat with that. However, in the past little while, my reactions to casein have made me feel pretty crappy, too. So I'm less tempted to cheat with the dairy as time goes on. It's been several weeks since it has even tempted me.

WinterSong Community Regular

I'm rarely tempted and have never purposefully cheated. I'm afraid that I would be out of commission for days and would be unable to work. I hate feeling sick. It's just not worth it. Plus, I eat the most amazing homemade gluten free foods and have great restaurants all over my city. I'm one happy girl  :)

Nikki2777 Community Regular

No - why would I?  I'm a little glad that while my Celiac hadn't gotten really bad before being diagnosed, it had gotten bad enough that I saw what kind of trouble I was headed for if I continued eating gluten.  I never want to see my body breaking down like that again.

• 1 month later...
Christina.V Apprentice

I was asymptomatic prior to Dx, so my will power does fail me from time to time. Last week I was at a football game and incredibly hungry. Of course stadium food is the worst so I caved and at a piece of pizza. Then, this past weekend I ate one of my mom's homemade flour tortillas (they are the #1 thing I miss the most).

Both times I did wind up having some stomach cramping. I consider myself incredibly fortunate because that's ALL I had. Of course, now, my willpower is in check for the upcoming holiday challenge!

Solandra Rookie

I have a lot of trouble because I don't really have any symptoms like other people.. I don't have to spend all night in the bathroom or anything. I've been having a bad day today and went to Trader Joe's and saw all their yummy things.. I got my son and husband some bagels that look delicious, and I got some goat cheese with cranberries and crackers for them. I broke down and had about 4 crackers. I'm noticing a little bit of mild nausea, but I'm not sure if that's in my head and I'm just freaking myself out. My test was just one point above normal on the AGA IGA a couple of years ago, and I've had doctors tell me different things, so I think I need to go get retested and maybe an endoscopy, because I've had two doctors tell me that if I don't have massive amounts of diarrhea, not to bother being gluten free. Which means, I need to start eating gluten every day and then go get another test or two.. 

It's also tough because my husband just thinks I'm crazy and that I don't need to worry. I was telling him about cross contamination and he thought that was the dumbest thing he's ever heard. He thinks it's just OCD and a fad diet. Makes it tough to stick with it.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Nope, I don't eat gluten on purpose.

I had a gluten induced TIA and get neurological symptoms when glutened on accident, so just the thought of being paralyzed or dying is plenty to keep my G.F. diet on course.

nvsmom Community Regular

I was asymptomatic prior to Dx, so my will power does fail me from time to time. Last week I was at a football game and incredibly hungry. Of course stadium food is the worst so I caved and at a piece of pizza. Then, this past weekend I ate one of my mom's homemade flour tortillas (they are the #1 thing I miss the most).

Both times I did wind up having some stomach cramping. I consider myself incredibly fortunate because that's ALL I had. Of course, now, my willpower is in check for the upcoming holiday challenge!

I have a lot of trouble because I don't really have any symptoms like other people.. I don't have to spend all night in the bathroom or anything. I've been having a bad day today and went to Trader Joe's and saw all their yummy things.. I got my son and husband some bagels that look delicious, and I got some goat cheese with cranberries and crackers for them. I broke down and had about 4 crackers. I'm noticing a little bit of mild nausea, but I'm not sure if that's in my head and I'm just freaking myself out. My test was just one point above normal on the AGA IGA a couple of years ago, and I've had doctors tell me different things, so I think I need to go get retested and maybe an endoscopy, because I've had two doctors tell me that if I don't have massive amounts of diarrhea, not to bother being gluten free. Which means, I need to start eating gluten every day and then go get another test or two.. 

It's also tough because my husband just thinks I'm crazy and that I don't need to worry. I was telling him about cross contamination and he thought that was the dumbest thing he's ever heard. He thinks it's just OCD and a fad diet. Makes it tough to stick with it.

My immediate symptoms are not severe and consequently I was not diagnosed until I was almost 40, after I developed arthritis, thinning hair, bad skin, fatigue, hashimoto's and a another autoimmune disease that was life threatening. I used to just get a stomach ache sometimes after a meal, and then it became after most meals, and I did not eat a bunch of gluten - I don't even like bread much.  LOL

Try to remember that immediate symptoms do not correspond to the damage you are doing to yourself. If you cheat every month or so, you are really hurting yourself in the long run.  Symptoms like anemia, osteoporosis, arthritis and neurological problems will creep up on you until they can't be ignored... and sometimes can't be fixed.  

Eating gluten (cheating) every month or two (especially every week) will hurt your health. Eventually you may be like me whose autoantibodies stays elevated over a year after I went gluten-free.  That means my gut was still being attacked even though I had been gluten-free for hundreds of days.  You don't want to get there.  :(

Stock up on gluten-free treats.  Have substitutes for when you will be tempted because you know that you will be.  Plan ahead so you don't have any poor me moments and you can.  Set the people in your lives straight about this disease and if they don't believe you, then don't trust them... Or add minute amounts of (cc) tobasco sauce to all of their foods and drinks and see how they like it when THEIR food is contaminated... If you feel vindictive, melt small amounts of laxative into all their foods and see how they do.  LOL ;) JK

And if you have kids, cheating sets a really bad example... actually it does for all family and friends.  Why would they take the diet seriously when you don't?  By cheating you are undermining yourself.... Its all bad, darn it.  ;)

Archived