This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Spot Lactose Intolerance When Just Gone Gf?

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle Rookie

So I've been reading that this may show up also now that we've gone gluten-free. It's been 1 week and I think we've done really well, no visible changes yet, but the odd poop that is dark and "normal" looking (is this what happens in the early stages or the fact that it changes from pale to dark still mean he's likely getting glutened?). Our whole house is gluten-free now, but I guess there could still be traces in places, but we are very aware of what we're trying to achieve.

Now to my question, today I've noticed ds is quite gassy/smelly which has never been a problem for him regardless of what we've eaten. How would I know if it was a lactose intolerance or do we assume that he likely will/does have it as well for now? Do we just remain gluten-free only and then cut out lactose as well later, or do both now and then add lactose back in? Not sure on how I'd know if it was lactose related or not, are there other classic symptoms?

TIA :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
So I've been reading that this may show up also now that we've gone gluten-free.  It's been 1 week and I think we've done really well, no visible changes yet, but the odd poop that is dark and "normal" looking (is this what happens in the early stages or the fact that it changes from pale to dark still mean he's likely getting glutened?).  Our whole house is gluten-free now, but I guess there could still be traces in places, but we are very aware of what we're trying to achieve.

Now to my question, today I've noticed ds is quite gassy/smelly which has never been a problem for him regardless of what we've eaten.  How would I know if it was a lactose intolerance or do we assume that he likely will/does have it as well for now?  Do we just remain gluten-free only and then cut out lactose as well later, or do both now and then add lactose back in?  Not sure on how I'd know if it was lactose related or not, are there other classic symptoms?

TIA :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of people with untreated celiac disease have lactose intolerance as well. What happens is that the villi not only absorb nutrients, but form the lactase needed to digest lactose. But since the villi is damaged in untreated celiac, it can't make the lactase needed for lactose digestion, ergo lactose intolerance. A lot of people with celiac disease, after being on the 100% gluten-free diet and heal, regain some, if not all of the lactase producing ability. I would highly recommend taking your son off of all dairy for at least two weeks (add a supplement if you are worried about calcium and vit D) and then retry things slowly. Let him have a piece of white cheese or one 8 oz glass of milk for one day, see how he does (none the next day) and go from there. After 9 years on the gluten-free diet, I tolerate dairy pretty well now, but still can't have too much yellow cheese. Hope this helps!

Archived