This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Do I Cope?

Jo-miller

Jo-miller Newbie

II was recently diagnosed with celiac's disease and I'm still having a hard time coming to terms with the lifestyle change that takes place with the celiac's. I am starting to find myself not wanting to do anything and also being depressed at the same time. I joined this forum to try to find some guidance and support and how to handle the lifestyle change. my family has been really supportive but it still just not the same

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome! You are not alone! Cheer up as things will get better.

First, take time to read "Newbie Info 101" found under the "Coping" section in this forum or click on this link:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

We have all been in your shoes. This is a time to grieve and that is NORMAL. But soon you will physically feel better and you will learn to replace your favorites using gluten-free products.

Hang in there!

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi there...it is hard at first.  Give yourself time to grieve.  Things do get easier...you will get used to the new way of eating sooner than you think.  And if you were feeling poorly before the diagnosis, going gluten free will improve some symptoms fairly quickly.  Starting to feel better definitely helps with coping.

Definitely read the Newbie thread...there is a lot of good information in there.  Come back on here and vent or chat whenever you need too.  Everyone on here has been through this and there are a lot of great people here who will take the time to listen and respond.  Before you know it you will get used to this new lifestyle and be feeling better!

Celiwack Newbie

I'm fairly new to celiac myself and it's been a very hard adjustment. I get so frustrated at every restaurant and am overly apologetic because I'm so embarrassed. I get mad because almost every restaurant still gets me sick. Eating at friends houses' is embarrassing and you're "that person."

Then I tell myself, you were sick, you found out why you were sick, you were given a solution and the solution isn't even that bad. Some people get handed much worse news every day and we got handed a solution. It helps to think that way.

notme Experienced

I'm fairly new to celiac myself and it's been a very hard adjustment. I get so frustrated at every restaurant and am overly apologetic because I'm so embarrassed. I get mad because almost every restaurant still gets me sick. Eating at friends houses' is embarrassing and you're "that person."

Then I tell myself, you were sick, you found out why you were sick, you were given a solution and the solution isn't even that bad. Some people get handed much worse news every day and we got handed a solution. It helps to think that way.

that is a great attitude :)  yes, for me it was a huge relief because i was losing weight so rapidly, i thought surely whatever was wrong was a serious (fatal) illness.   so, telling me to eat gluten free was certainly healthier and far less harsh than, say, chemo.  another added benefit (for me, anyway) was actually paying attention to what i was eating.  if you don't *have* to read the labels, who does?  i hardly ever did....  now, i eat healthier all around, i drink more water, less alcohol, more beer <haha j/k.  maybe.  yes, it's difficult at first, but you get used to it.  it takes more planning ahead.  good luck

Serielda Enthusiast

I agree when I first received my diagnosis, it was a hard one to swallow, but after a few hours of thinking and remembering how miserable I had felt, I realized I had nothing to lose and only good things to gain. Like some sage advice some friends had gave me  was  the first  3 weeks is  a doozey then the first three months and so on are hard. I can say for myself there is a lot of truth to that. But I am still soldiering onward. I had so much that  gluten stole from me and some things I am still paying for after  4 1/2 months.  Can I say the feelings of isolation will get better, in  time it can but pending on what is going on and how traditions can be bound to food or drinks are can make it a real hard one.  But hang in there you will make it, you are never alone. Listen to the folks here, there are a lot of good folks here with  some of the best advice I have had given to me are here.  Heck if its any consolation, I am having to remap my food intake further yet  that is leaving me with soem serious moral delimas but its up to me to follow thru and take care of me, since I have only myself and a lot of  cool folks in my life depending on me like a sister, my nephew and hubby and a sweet lil furbaby kitteh named Constatine. I  don't want to fail myself or them.

II was recently diagnosed with celiac's disease and I'm still having a hard time coming to terms with the lifestyle change that takes place with the celiac's. I am starting to find myself not wanting to do anything and also being depressed at the same time. I joined this forum to try to find some guidance and support and how to handle the lifestyle change. my family has been really supportive but it still just not the same

skullgrl Rookie

Some tips, since everyone has covered the basics:

1. Don't apologize. You bring your own food and enjoy it, if other people are offended by your health problem it's their issue, not yours.

2. Don't be forced into eating something you aren't sure about. People generally won't do things like, "Oh but Mr. Diabetic, it's just a little sugar in this cupcake, you'll be fine!" "Oh but Ms. Peanut-Allergy, it only touched a peanut a little, I can just wipe it off!" Not OK there, not OK for Celiacs.

3. Find joy in the little things.

4. You will mess up, it sucks but it will get better again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Serielda Enthusiast

Spot on  Skullgrl!

Some tips, since everyone has covered the basics:

1. Don't apologize. You bring your own food and enjoy it, if other people are offended by your health problem it's their issue, not yours.

2. Don't be forced into eating something you aren't sure about. People generally won't do things like, "Oh but Mr. Diabetic, it's just a little sugar in this cupcake, you'll be fine!" "Oh but Ms. Peanut-Allergy, it only touched a peanut a little, I can just wipe it off!" Not OK there, not OK for Celiacs.

3. Find joy in the little things.

4. You will mess up, it sucks but it will get better again.

Archived