This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Having Diarhea But Gf

melisadki

melisadki Explorer

Is D supposed to go away after going gluten free cause I am still having loose stools and D. I am so frustrated. I am also careful of not getting hidden gluten. Anyone have any ideas cause I am ready to give up here.. :( Also the nausea is still really bad and I still dont want to eat much......I miss my sandwhiches.. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Your signiture says you have been gluten-free for five days. If that is right, you have a few weeks until you will feel fully better.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I think it takes time...how long have you been gluten-free now? I'm still having occassional nausea and I'm almost 3 months gluten-free now. My stools got better after 2 months but I think that was because I eliminated dairy. I never had D though....it was just never a symptom I had.

melisadki Explorer

I know its early thanks.... <_< I also suspect maybe a dairy allergy and then I wont have anything to eat....why live :( the diet is already very restrictive especially when trying to get pregnant. <_< I am hoping the dairy intolerance is just temporary I never had a problem with milk etc...until a few years ago.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Oh yeah...I was wondering did you have nausea before going gluten-free? I don't remember having too much nausea until my first week of the diet...then it was bad. I think it was withdrawl..I just felt WAY worse the first week. I actually thought I was dying. I didn't mean to be going gluten-free....I was actually starting a candida diet at the time. It was only veggies and meats. The second week I felt alot better but it can also take several weeks to feel good.

melisadki Explorer

Yeah unfortunetly I did have the nausea prior as well. Food just doesnt agree with me anymore. Sometimes all I can get down is junk food which is bad but if the meat smell turns my stomach or whatever then I just cant eat it.. :(

I really do hope this gets better. I think I will keep with the dairy for now but try to cut back and just see if stuff gets better. I plan on getting some digestive enzymes here soon along with a good vitamin. Justing finding gluten-free ones are tricky.. :rolleyes:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I plan on getting some digestive enzymes here soon along with a good vitamin.  Justing finding gluten-free ones are tricky.. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take enzymes but just finally settled on a multivitamin. I also take probiotics. I cant tolerate lots of foods and chemicals after I'm glutened and then it will calm down. Its been almost 2 weeks now that I've been reacting to everything. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melisadki Explorer

I bet thats tough...having all those senstivites. I am just plain afraid to do anymore allergy testing...cause I just dont think I can restrict anything else.....I am already so bummed with the diet.. :(

Speaking of eating I still havent eaten today cause I am so nausea and had D. I just hope it goes away so I can at least get one meal in.. :o

hez Enthusiast

Recovery time is different for everyone and it is dependent on how bad the damage is. If it was caught sooner than later it will take less time for your body to heal. In my case the damage was severe so I am still in recovery mode. I have been gluten-free since April. I think with time you will find peace with the diet and not find it so limiting. I remember being almost unable to figure out what to eat. Now it is a matter of what to eat because I have so many choices in my home. Keep reading this site. I have found the information priceless!

Hez

• 2 weeks later...
melisadki Explorer

Ok its been a little over 2 weeks gluten-free and I am still getting quite a bit of Diarhea but i think it is from milk. I dont think I am getting an gluten.. :blink: Do any of you guys have a dairy intolerance on top of gluten intolerance? iF so does Lactaid seem to help any? It is really restrictive for me to give up cheese because I use this as a snack since I have to do low carb because of my sugar levels.. :angry:

I'm going to try it and see if it gets better.. :( Also my BM's are still on the light side.. ;) so I have no idea what is going on. I know its soon but shouldnt i be seeing more improvement buy now. :angry:

Lisa Mentor

I have been on the diet for, lets see, four months by now. I still feel uncomfortable going out of town. At two months, every other day was a good one. At three months every second day was good. And now at four, it is every three days.....healing will take time.

I know that when I have to be out of town or sitting in a meeting for six hours, Immodium has been a lifesaver. I have been hesitant to use it because I did not want to mask my symptoms....but I gave that up to have a life.

Keep strictly to the gluten-free diet and slowly but surely you will improve day by day. It is nothing that you can rush. It took a long time to do damage and you can't expect it to turn around in a few weeks.

Be patient, there is light at the end of the tunnel. This does not have to be aburden.

I cooked a wonderful dinner tonight that I would have ordered in any restaurant. Good food can truley be enjoyed:

Pork Tenderloin - Dry Rub from Paul Prudhommes' Fajita Magic for several hours

Baked and servered with Paul Newman's Peach Salsa

Uncle Ben's Rice with can of corn, and black beans, mixed together with butter. (disclaimer - all gluten-free to my knowledge)

Life can be good.

melisadki Explorer

Thanks I guess I expected to see some improvement by now. I am not even Celiac but Gluten Intolerant.. <_< yes cooking its alot of work but I think I have cooked more in the past 2 weeks then I have in 1 year... :lol:

bluelotus Contributor

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are not 100% yet (I'm not either after a year, but that's my fault). I just wanted to mention, if you take Lactaid, call the company. I asked them for a list of their gluten-free Lactaid products and all that made the list was their milk. Someone else in the forum was able to find more info on the Lactaid website (I think) about which pills are gluten-free. If you aren't comfortable taking that brand, there are plenty of gluten-free ones you can find at health food stores too.

melisadki Explorer

I ended up getting a generic pill to lactaid but from the ingredients I dont think it has gluten. It is "Health Pride Dairy Digestive Supplement"

Ingredients:

lactase enzyme,dextrose, magnesioum stearate, microcrystaline cellulose, sodium citrate, and silicon dioxide.

Hopefully I'm not wrong though. I am so new to this stuff. :blink:

kevsmom Contributor

Have you checked into any other medications that you are taking? How about makup and lotions?

Do you have pets? I didn't even think of it until I read this on the board, but if you give a pet food or treats you need to wash your hands. The first ingredient in pet food and treats is usually wheat!

Also, be careful about contamination.

There are some decent bread products out there, although they are expensive. Splurge on yourself once in a while. :P

I have learned so much here. Just keep asking, reading and learning. We are all in this together.

I hope you feel better soon.

melisadki Explorer

Yes I have 5 furbabies.. :) I always wash my hands after so that should be ok.

Meds I checked on. My makeup and lotion I didnt because I didnt think gluten could enter the skin because particle is too big. :blink:

I think what makes it hard is my hubby agreed to do this with me. Well he is a truck driver for this bakery and is always bringing stuff home (supposedly to give to others) and there is a really nice box of donuts sitting in my kitchen right now. I am so tempted. He said he hasnt had any but he may be fibbing....all the temptations. :o

Actually though I am doing better then I thought and having fun with cooking. Although I do miss really good soft bread.. :(

kevsmom Contributor

Melisa -

If your hubby does get into the donuts, make sure he bruhes his teeth (with a gluten free toothpaste) before he kisses you. That should go over real well. :D Also it's real important to disinfect the table or counter where the box is and where he is eating them. Crumbs are all over the place.

I go through a lot of paper towels preparing and eating my food, just to make sure that my 16 year old hasn't left hidden sources somewhere.

You would be surprised, but there are some really decent breads out there. I bought a loaf of kinnikinnick bread. I stuck a couple of slices in the microwave for about 30 seconds with a couple of pieces of gluten free ham and a piece of cheese, and had a wonderful real tasting sandwich!!!

One of my local grocery stores carries Food For Life Wheat and Gluten Free Rice Pecan Bread (It's in the frozen food section near the waffles). If you nuke that for about 30 seconds, it makes a great peanut butter and jelly sandwich!! I also use it to make french toast!! This store also carries Pamela's cookies. They taste like real cookies.

I think the secret to getting some of the breads to taste decent is to heat them, either by nuking or toasting them. Some of the breads just don't taste good no matter what you do to them. :huh:

Treat yourself to some of the gluten free stuff that people recommend. It's expensive, but you need to develope the "I'm worth it" attitute. You won't fee so deprived.

I guess I should stop rambling on...Until next time.

Good Luck! :)

Cindy

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Meds I checked on.  My makeup and lotion I didnt because I didnt think gluten could enter the skin because particle is too big. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gluten cant get absorbed into your skin but if you have it in your lotion or lipstick or anything like that...theres a good chance it will end up in your mouth.

melisadki Explorer

Thanks you guys.

Ok I got a TMI question her:

Is there anything I can eat that will help bulk my BM's up a bit. They are still kinda loose. It just gets so old if you know what I mean. I did Colonix a few months back and that helped maybe I should do that again for awhile. Seems like lack of bread, and starches may be causing this.

Or maybe I am just overanalyzing everything.. :rolleyes:

julie5914 Contributor

Dairy seemed to be the key for me when I still having trouble after going gluten-free. I think it was casein and not lactose as I had been tested for lactose a few months ago and it was negative. Rice Dream ice cream isn't bad and vanilla rice milk isn't bad either once you get used to it. If they didn't make it I would have cheated already. Toughest part is butter, esp. when you are eating outside of the home. After about a week w/o dairy, the D totally stopped. I think I may be normal now in that department, though I'm hesitant to suggest that since I'm still not sure what normal is!

melisadki Explorer
Dairy seemed to be the key for me when I still having trouble after going gluten-free. I think it was casein and not lactose as I had been tested for lactose a few months ago and it was negative. Rice Dream ice cream isn't bad and vanilla rice milk isn't bad either once you get used to it. If they didn't make it I would have cheated already. Toughest part is butter, esp. when you are eating outside of the home. After about a week w/o dairy, the D totally stopped. I think I may be normal now in that department, though I'm hesitant to suggest that since I'm still not sure what normal is!

Thats sounds tough. What do you use in place of butter for toast and stuff. I heard margarine is so bad for your health.. :(

I didnt have D today and I had some milk last night but I took a lactaid pill with it. Maybe it is just lactose intolerant. I hope so. How do you get tested for casein allergy?

Rice milk is ok but just doesnt have the good cream texture. Also what do you do about getting enough calcium? I am really new to restricting so many foods its tough but i am almost to 3 weeks w/0 cheating.. :)

Also I lost 4 more pounds...Yippie!! :D

cookiedog Newbie

I used to try lactaid pills and they would allow me to eat/drink milk products at that moment and I wouldn't feel too bad, but at 4am I would wake up with terrible cramps and D. After this happening everytime, I finally realized it is not worth that ice cream sandwich or glass of milk anymore. I hope they work for you, I really do! I've been lactose intolerant for years, as soon as I would finish the glass of milk, the roof of my mouth would hurt and swell and feel raw, then it progressed to bm then on and on. But anyways. They just didn't work for me but thank goodness we are all different huh?

melisadki Explorer

Could it also be the extra fat since this is more like a low carb diet? More fatty food since breakfast is eggs, bacon...and lunch is meat with no bread...maybe the lack of fiber? I may have to get a fiber supplement and start adding more veggies.

I will be having a laproscopy done in Dec to look for endometriosis and my symtoms seem to flare up around my period so that is always an option too. I hope not but I guess I will find out soon.

I think I could give up milk....but ice cream..and cheese... :angry:

Archived