This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Dressing/stuffing

gilligan

gilligan Enthusiast

Last year my mom and I each tried a different gluten free dressing recipe, and both of them were horrible.  Does anyone have a really good stuffing recipe they will share?  I've thought about trying a cornbread based recipe.  Have a good one for that?  I'm starting early to practice before Thanksgiving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

I would love a recipe as well. This is my first Thanksgiving since diagnosis. Love a good stuffing!

Adalaide Mentor

I just buy Rudi's. There are a lot of recipes online for doctoring it up. Every one I've tried has been good, it's also good just the way it is. My favorite recipe is on this page, the one called gluten-free Laura's blah blah something a little more than halfway down. (It's the one with apple.) Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

I make the exact same gluten-free recipe as my mom's normal stuffing - I just use gluten-free bread cubes (cut up a day or two ahead and left to go a bit stale) instead of regular bread.  A package of sausage, celery, apples, poultry seasoning, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, and chicken soup lightly poured on to moisten it.

I tried cornbread once. It was okay but everyone wanted the traditional dressing.  Oh well, the cornbread fell apart on me anyways.  LOL

kareng Grand Master

Here's a link.  It has some recipes.  Some of these people, Like IrishHeart, aren't around much anymore but their recipes will be here forever.   :wub:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105230-1st-holiday-season-after-dx-how-did-you-feeldocope/page-2

LauraTX Rising Star

I used this recipe last year, worked really well.  Crock pot frees up the oven which is nice.  Open Original Shared Link

icelandgirl Proficient

Here's a link.  It has some recipes.  Some of these people, Like IrishHeart, aren't around much anymore but their recipes will be here forever.   :wub:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105230-1st-holiday-season-after-dx-how-did-you-feeldocope/page-2

Thanks so much for sharing that link. I love Irish's plan and may just copy it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

Last year my mom and I each tried a different gluten free dressing recipe, and both of them were horrible.  Does anyone have a really good stuffing recipe they will share?  I've thought about trying a cornbread based recipe.  Have a good one for that?  I'm starting early to practice before Thanksgiving.

I also use Rudi's Savory Herb Stuffing mix. I was disappointed that my 2 local natural health food stores did not carry it, and when I asked about it at another store 20 miles away from my home town they had just received it and did not have it on the shelves yet. The owner located the product in the stockroom and I purchased it. It was so good I went back and purchased 3 packages of it. It makes a large amount.

I have also used "from scratch" recipes such as nvsmom , before Rudi's Stuffing mix came out on the market. The results were excellent using gluten free bread cubes and using a basic recipe and adding a tad more poultry seasoning than called for, and adding a bit more chicken stock because I live at a high altitude. My gluten eating husband was more than impressed. Stuffing is one of my favorite side dishes.

Adalaide Mentor

I also use Rudi's Savory Herb Stuffing mix. I was disappointed that my 2 local natural health food stores did not carry it, and when I asked about it at another store 20 miles away from my home town they had just received it and did not have it on the shelves yet. The owner located the product in the stockroom and I purchased it. It was so good I went back and purchased 3 packages of it. It makes a large amount.

I have also used "from scratch" recipes such as nvsmom , before Rudi's Stuffing mix came out on the market. The results were excellent using gluten free bread cubes and using a basic recipe and adding a tad more poultry seasoning than called for, and adding a bit more chicken stock because I live at a high altitude. My gluten eating husband was more than impressed. Stuffing is one of my favorite side dishes.

If you have to drive that far for it, call after the holidays. I stopped in after Christmas last year at my local health food store. They had it marked down to (I think) $3 a bag. I bought something like 6 of them. Stuffing year round, wooo!

The only from scratch recipe I've done is a cornbread stuffing from the holiday issue of Living Without from 2 years ago. It was really good and I liked it. It just means making cornbread, then making stuffing. On top of the holiday prep I'm far too lazy for that which is why I've gone the Rudi's route since it's so good. If I ever can't find it though, I'll definitely go back to the cornbread recipe without even thinking of trying anything else.

Patti J Rookie

This will be my first gluten free Thanksgiving as was just diagnosed about 5 months ago. What I have been doing is saving, in the freezer,  the ends of my gluten free bread. Last week I took out the pieces and put them in the food processor and made my bread crumbs. I thought I would just follow my regular recipe minus the regular "bread"..and yes, I plan on adding corn bread to it as well. 

mbrookes Community Regular

One problem with gluten free stuffing (and many other foods) is expecting them to be just like what you remember. It usually won't be. Look at it as trying something new, not copying something old. My dressing recipe (that's what we call stuffing) is made of cornbread, as was my grandmother's. No problem. One of the advantages of living in the deep South is that many foods use corn meal rather than flour. I have been told that that is because after the "war of Northern aggression" wheat was not available, so people used corn.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I post every year... "if this is my 13th year of being gluten-free... this will be my 13th new stuffing/dressing recipe!"

I grew up with Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix. I used to make like a quadruple recipe and bake whatever didn't fit into the turkey in loaf pans so we could slice off a hunk and eat it with turkey and gravy.

Now... my 3 daughters and I are gluten free. I've tried traditional recipes w/ bread and quite a few corn bread recipes. NONE have been remotely passable after good old Pepperidge Farm. Thanksgiving has become my least favorite "food" holiday.

THIS year I'll use the Gluten Free on a Shoestring recipe my daughter made for us recently. It was really good. Now... if I can only find something resembling French bread in North Nowhere Arkansas... I may ask my daughter to send me some baguettes from Philadelphia... they'll be stale and perfect when they arrive... right???

LauraTX Rising Star

... I may ask my daughter to send me some baguettes from Philadelphia... they'll be stale and perfect when they arrive... right???

That may be the perfect situation for that! :)  I am going to have to check out the GFOAS recipe.

Archived